Options

A Snowy White Owl

windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
edited May 11, 2006 in Wildlife
im not sure if i blew it on this.... you guys got to let me know ( truthfully).
I took the advice i was given by some dgrinners in a thread in the photoshop forum here and this is what I ended up with...

I cant tell if Its "blown out" or not....

68734469-L.jpg68716701-L.jpg

68817726-L.jpg68918453-L.jpg

troy

Comments

• Options
    CookieSCookieS Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2006
    looks fine to me.
  • Options
    firedancing4lifefiredancing4life Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2006
    :D it's a white owl...how is it possible to blow it out.

looks nice.!
  • Options
    Yvette MarieYvette Marie Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited May 9, 2006
    Not at ALL a reflection on your photography.. that owl doesnt even look real... WOW! Those eyes!

Looks awesome to me. ;o) Id brighten the firts picture up to match the second one.

Yvette
  • Options
    Zoom RaiderZoom Raider Registered Users Posts: 317 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2006
    Looks very good, and... it looks wise.:D
    http://mostamazingprophecies.com

My Gear
    Camera: Nikon D50
    Lens: Sigma 18-50mm F3.5-5.6 DC
    Flash: Nikon SB600 SpeedLight
    Vertical Powergrip: Opteka Platinum Series
    Flash Diffuser: Lightsphere II (Clear)

Teleconverter: Quantaray 2x
    Lens Filters: 2 SunPak UV 58mm

Card: Lexar Platinum II 512mb/60x
    Bag: Canon 200DG

Printer: Canon PIXMA iP6700D

Fisher-Advent Audio
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2006
    Alright, I'll be the bad guy. I think the shot on the left is good exposure wise but the White balance looks to cool, especially next the the other shot that is warmer. The top right of the head in the second shot looks overexposed, there is a lack of detail there. Good shots though Troy, I have never seen one of these in person, they sure look like beautiful birds.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    edited May 10, 2006
    gluwater wrote:
    Alright, I'll be the bad guy. I think the shot on the left is good exposure wise but the White balance looks to cool, especially next the the other shot that is warmer. The top right of the head in the second shot looks overexposed, there is a lack of detail there. Good shots though Troy, I have never seen one of these in person, they sure look like beautiful birds.
    so let me understand correctly - of all three you like the top left one ? what about the top left comapred to the bottom?

I agree about the warmer one being maybe over exposed....

troy
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2006
    These are some wonderful images.thumb.gif

Color cast - it's hard to determine which the correct color. I like the cooler images better than the warmer one, but wonder if the the cooler ones might not be too cool.

Blown Highlights? - These are good captures taken under difficult lighting (and it didn't help that the owl is SOOOOO clean!). Of the two cool images, the last one, to me, appears to be blown out just a tad on the upper portion of the owl's head.
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2006
    15524779-Ti.gif I agree with Nick and Scott that there is some loss of detail on the 2nd shot in particular (forehead, around the eyes and neck area). Your 3rd shot seems slightly sharper or has more detail, I can't decide. Also agree that #2 is too warm....the others are a tad too cool? Tough bird, but beautiful and still good shots!
  • Options
    edited May 10, 2006
    saurora wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif I agree with Nick and Scott that there is some loss of detail on the 2nd shot in particular (forehead, around the eyes and neck area). Your 3rd shot seems slightly sharper or has more detail, I can't decide. Also agree that #2 is too warm....the others are a tad too cool? Tough bird, but beautiful and still good shots!

im still trying to come to how i should determine this "cool", "warm" thing...
    i think i prefer the "cooler" images myself.

as for the loss of detail ( which I agree ) - when these are opened in CS2 - they are not near the Right vertical axis - or maybe they can still be overexpsoed and not on the axis????

thanx...
    troy
  • Options
    USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2006
    To these eyes the first is the cooler(slight blue cast)
    Shot #2 is warmer(slight yel cast)
    And #3 is just right (white is white and black is black). ne_nau.gif

my .02

Fred
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2006
    The key to shooting white birds is to nail the exposure when you take the shot. If you blow the exposure no amount of Photoshopping will save the shot. Number 1 (the one on the left) may have a slight blow out on the shoulder (right under the beak) but nothing major. The WB looks whacked though in the shot. #2's WB is better but is a lot hotter especially on the owl's left cheek. #3 is the best exposure but I would tweak it a bit in levels to give it some more "punch".
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    edited May 10, 2006
    Harryb wrote:
    The key to shooting white birds is to nail the exposure when you take the shot. If you blow the exposure no amount of Photoshopping will save the shot. Number 1 (the one on the left) may have a slight blow out on the shoulder (right under the beak) but nothing major. The WB looks whacked though in the shot. #2's WB is better but is a lot hotter especially on the owl's left cheek. #3 is the best exposure but I would tweak it a bit in levels to give it some more "punch".

all of the images had the correct exposure, its the post processing that i blew....
    thanx Harry - i was afraid to twaek the 3rd in fear that i might blow out the parts again..
    i added one more pic to the mix - i cant get two images to come out the same...

troy
  • Options
    Dick on ArubaDick on Aruba Registered Users Posts: 3,484 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2006
    THis beutiful series look well exposed to me.

Dick.
    "Nothing sharpens sight like envy."
    Thomas Fuller.

SmugMug account.
    Website.