Which do you like best ? Or both/none ?

Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
edited May 10, 2006 in People

Comments

• Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2006
  • hollychollyc Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited May 9, 2006
    My vote is for the second one. Love the laugh.
    edited May 9, 2006
    hollyc wrote:
    My vote is for the second one. Love the laugh.
    thumb.gif I meant the treatment ...
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • Yvette MarieYvette Marie Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited May 9, 2006
    I like teh warmth of the second one. ;o)

If you crop some of the top off.. it will look even better.. ;o) Bring the eyes into the top third of the picture...

Your lighting is awesome!

Yvette
    edited May 9, 2006

If you crop some of the top off.. it will look even better.. ;o) Bring the eyes into the top third of the picture...

Yvette
    I have notice - I am wrong ? - you are a maniac of the rule of the thirds...
    Go and have a look at this link:

http://www.lunacore.com/photoshop/tutorials/tut023.htm
    I use it but I do not understand what you mean ...
    Regards and thank you.
    (Hope maniac is not offensive)

• LeDudeLeDude Registered Users Posts: 501 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2006

Yvette

15524779-Ti.gif

You dog! What'd you say to get that reaction? mwink.gif
    We are the music-makers; and we are the dreamers of dreams.
    ... come along.
  • Nee7x7Nee7x7 Registered Users Posts: 459 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2006
    Yup, number two is best. And I agree about the crop suggestion, too~ :)
    http://nee.smugmug.com[/COLOR]
    http://www.pbase.com/rdavis

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that you tried~
    edited May 9, 2006
    LeDude wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif

You dog! What'd you say to get that reaction? mwink.gif
    LeDude: Did you mean the word maniac ?
    I DO MEAN NO HARM OR OFFENSE !
    Perhaps the word would be: obsessed ?!
    edited May 9, 2006
    Like this ?
  • Yvette MarieYvette Marie Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited May 9, 2006
    Hey.. Ive been called a maniac by men before, but not for the rule of thirds... wink wink.

Im sorry if it seems I am obsessed. It is honestly a tried and true method for better pictures.

I am not picking on you at all.. Im sorry.

I will stop critiquing your images. ;o)

I added one last try to show you what I mean... I am sorry for marking on your image... its the best way I know to explain it.

Yvette
  • juliejulesjuliejules Registered Users Posts: 163 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2006
    Antonio,

I think LeDude was joking with you. I think he wants to know what you said to the model to make her laugh. He called you "dog" which means he's suggesting that you like her and think she's pretty.

EDIT: By the way, I like the color of the second one best. She looks tan and healthy.
    --juliejules
    http://www.juliejules.com
    Canon 70D, Canon EF 24-105mm F4L IS, Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L, Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM, Canon Ext 1.4x II, SpeedLite 430EX
  • raianraian Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2006
    Definitely like the warmer skin tone in the 2nd photo. I like the crop too. Very nice!
    edited May 10, 2006
    LeDude: Did you mean the word maniac ?
    I DO MEAN NO HARM OR OFFENSE !
    Perhaps the word would be: obsessed ?!
    Antonio, yes JulieJules is right! I did not understand your PM, but I was confused because my meaning was lost in translation. It is my fault for using American jargon.

For me to say, "you dog," in American lingo, means like you "salty dog," which means, you said something "bad" that was good because it got a good reaction; the intonation being sexual, like Casanova or something, but less refined. It was meant as a compliment :):, seriously. I thought you captured a great reaction-very strong yet very natural... I was giving you credit not only for capturing the expression, but causing the response. This, I think, is the hardest part about studio or studio-esque portraits. And, I think you nailed it.

I also agree with the composition comments made earlier. And Yvette, you will see that you don't need to be so worried about making critiques from this. Antonio was offended, and rightfully so because of my poor choice of words, but my intention was good and so it will be alright. You make excellent critiques Yvette, keep it up clap.gif.

Alright, good night all. I've caused enough confusion for one day.

peas,
    Rich
    ... come along.
  • Cliff PhotoCliff Photo Registered Users Posts: 128 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2006
    I agree about the crop. I like the 1st treatment because the freckles are more apparent. I think she would like the 2nd treatment because it looks like a healthy tan. I would like either if you only displayed one.

Cliff

Nikon shooter: D200, Tokina 12-24, 17-55 2.8, 70-200 VR 2.8, 50 1.4 :click
  • marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2006
    First of all: I know nothing about portraits. I find them hard to do, but I do know what I like. I just don't always know why I like it, so to quote my buddy Gus, I just follow the bouncing ball. If someone suggests a crop, I usually locally download the image, apply the crop, and judge that. Then I delete the image again. I did it here to.

I like the second treatment, Antonio. I also like the crop. It could be a bit tighter, but I wouldn't go as far as Yvette Marie suggests. Since the subject is bowing her head a little, I have no issue with her eyes being below the upper third. It pronounces the forehead, and you can see more of her head (almost to the back of her head) which adds to the expression of the portrait. If you do crop according to the rules of thirds, where you get the eye above to highest rule of third line, the general expression of the portrait changes, IMO. You will lose the length of the head, which is accentuated by the hairstyle. Sure, the expression might even be a bit bolder, and some might prefer that, but I personally like it as it is (in the second crop).
    Im sorry if it seems I am obsessed. It is honestly a tried and true method for better pictures.

Sure, the rule of thirds can help creating strong images. But shooting and cropping all images against the rule of thirds in my opinion is a bit boring. As long as an image works for me, I don't care that much about the rule of thirds.
    LeDude wrote:
    You make excellent critiques Yvette, keep it up clap.gif

I second that opinion. Yvette Marie, I've learned from the few posts you've put up already. I don't always instantly agree (like now) but that's not the issue. The issue is that you're respectful and obviously think about what you're doing. We can all learn from that.

We need a little less political correctness in this multilingual globalized world. Antonio, keep those shots coming. Yvette Marie, keep the comments coming. And LeDude, you're cruel. ;)
    enjoy being here while getting there
    edited May 10, 2006
    Marlof
    Thank you for the useful comment.

TO ALL
    Thank you for your cooperation and comments.
    Because this is a "multilingual globalized world" we should take care about what and how we say things.
    When I called her maniac - and I repeat: no ofense at all - it was only to enphazise the fact that she is very found of the rules of thirds.
    Did you see my link for the rules of thirs ?
    I use it more now thanks to persons like Ivette.
    As for myself, I have to take care with my words !...

I will keep posting pictures and reading your comments.

Good Heath to you all. thumb.gif
    edited May 10, 2006
    Marlof
    Thank you for the useful comment.

Good Heath to you all. thumb.gif

I had roughly zero comprehension of what was going on. My previous post makes no sense, given the context. Oye! I'm not smart.

So Antonio, maybe I will visit you in Portugal and you will introduce me to this model of yours? I had a girl in my dream last night who was laughing beautifully and I think it was her. She would like an ignorant American like me, no? I'll bet she would.

Na Zdrowie!
    -Rich
    ... come along.
    edited May 10, 2006
    LeDude wrote:
    I had roughly zero comprehension of what was going on. My previous post makes no sense, given the context. Oye! I'm not smart.

So Antonio, maybe I will visit you in Portugal and you will introduce me to this model of yours? I had a girl in my dream last night who was laughing beautifully and I think it was her. She would like an ignorant American like me, no? I'll bet she would.

Na Zdrowie!
    -Rich
    LeDude
    Hello. Let's forget about all this confusion. :):
    I think I will have the opportunity to ask her if she wants to talk with you.
    Over the Net or even personally.
    I am supposed to know that is daughter of an ambassadeur and she speaks many languages. English included of course. So...
    thumb.gif