Changing gallery setting in Bulk?

mpmcleodmpmcleod Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
edited May 10, 2006 in SmugMug Support
Is there a way to change the settings for a lot of galleries at once?
Something similar to what we can do for pictures?

I have set up a template for future galleries but it would be nice to be able to apply a settings template to a number of galleries at once. What I would like to be able to do is make sure that all my galleries (almost 450 galleries containing 20,000+ photos) have the following:

external links: OFF
allow originals: ON
password protected: <password>
*public: YES
sort by: DATE TAKEN

*I have been told by SM that no one can get to ANY of my photos as long as I have a password on the galleries and external links off. By leaving it public my family can see a place holder rather than my having to send a link for every gallery. This is not ideal but will probably work for my needs.

I would like to suggest adding a site password. For example, a person visiting my site would be challenged for a password before seeing ANYTHING. Wrong password would mean no galleries, no placeholders and no idea what I have. As it stands now anyone can visit my site and discover all the ids for my galleries even if they can't see any actual pictures. I would also like to suggest, as it has been in other messages that gallery password cookies be changed to session only.

As you may have guessed from this and other posts I am big on security. Security considerations are at the top of the list for every software project I work on. I expect companies that handle my personal data to take security very seriously.

In regards to SM, it appears that I CAN make my site and photos secure but it is not EASY nor straightforward to make them secure. IMHO, the most secure settings should be the default and users who want the whole world to see their photos should be allowed to make their sites insecure. I understand that some of the security issues are caused by the overall design of SM and may be difficult to easily solve. I would be happy to discuss this in email with SM staff including additional suggestions.

Anyway back to my original question:
Is there a way to change the settings for a lot of galleries at once?

thanks,
-- Mike

smugmug nickname: mpmcleod
http://www.michaelmcleod.com/

Comments

• devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited May 10, 2006
    Mike,

1. Start off by creating a template for your gallery settings.
    2. Select customize a Gallery
    3. At the top of the page, select "bulk settings"
    4. Select the template with the desired settings
    5. Select the Galleries
    6. Click "Apply"

and ur done thumb.gif

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • mpmcleodmpmcleod Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2006
    devbobo wrote:
    Mike,

1. Start off by creating a template for your gallery settings.
    2. Select customize a Gallery
    3. At the top of the page, select "bulk settings"
    4. Select the template with the desired settings
    5. Select the Galleries
    6. Click "Apply"

and ur done thumb.gif

Cheers,

David

Thanks. I should have been able to figure that out!!
    11doh.gif

One question, what settings are saved?

I would guess the name is not (but don't want to assume anything at this point). Everything else?

Do I need to make a new template for every category? or does it just save the other settings?
    -- Mike

smugmug nickname: mpmcleod
    http://www.michaelmcleod.com/