Question About SD Card

raianraian Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
edited May 12, 2006 in Cameras
I have made a decision and will be getting the Nikon D50 (in a few more weeks, still need to save a little bit). Since I'm not a pro... I decided not to get the Canon 20D. Was leaning toward the Rebel XT, but really liked the way the Nikon felt in my hand and also liked the menus better (seemed much easier to read)

So.. with that being said... I am very new to DSLR and am clueless about the card I should buy. I know the D50 takes an SD Card, but what size would be best. Any brands better than others?

Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2006
    raian wrote:
    what size would be best. Any brands better than others?

size? I'd go for about 5.0 x 1.2 x 7.0 inches.

:D

Personally, I stuck with 512Mb cards for a long time; then I could dump the contents straight to a CD before processing, making sure that I had a backup right away.

Now that I have a DVD burner, I use larger cards. It's never good to run out of space while you're in the field.

On the other hand, if a card goes bad - something that's not happened to me (yet?) - more of your eggs are in one basket. so that's a trade-off.

I believe most (all?) of the electronic vendors use SanDisk for their tests, which may say something. I use SanDisk almost exclusively, and again have never had a failure. But statistically I'm not sure if I've been "due" for a failure yet.
  • raianraian Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2006
    Thanks for the info. Appreciate it.

I got a new computer (to go along with my new camera). It just arrived today. I'll have a fresh hard disk to fill up with pictures rolleyes1.gifSo now I truly am getting excited to get the camera. Bye bye to my little Fuji FinePix (which has taken some nice pictures, but no action shots cause shutter lag is HORRIBLE).
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2006
    I recommend a 1GB card. I have an XT, and if I shoot RAW+JPEG, I can get about 75 shots on the 1GB card. It seems like alot, but a DSLR makes you trigger happy, so it isnt much. Going all RAW, and especially all JPEG gives you more, but unless you want to be swapping cards alot, go with the largest card your budget will allow, and not less than 1GB.
  • ramsingaramramsingaram Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited May 12, 2006
    I have a couple of viking 512MB that I bought from Amazon, which has worked flawlessly. Use them on the P&S camera. They are not the fastest though. I bought a 1GB Sandisk ultra II, which was corrupted after the first shoot and so I returned it for another card which is fine so far. Have not done any direct speed comparisons, but I think the Sandisk ultra II should be fast.

I will recommend the Sandisk ultra II for the D50