SB600+Lightsphere+D200=Amazing Flash

SteveLongPhotoSteveLongPhoto Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
edited March 24, 2007 in Technique
I decided to play around with the wireless capabilities of my new d200, SB600 and Lightsphere PJ. After setting the on-board flash to Commander mode and syncing it with the SB600, I put the Lightsphere on the SB600 and set it on the mantle above my son (who's not exactly thrilled to be my test model).

The result exceeded my expectations, natural looking diffuse light with shadows. With the light attached to the camera, I don't get any shadows, even with the Lightsphere. But using the wireless and setting the flash at about 45 degrees, I get difuse light and shadows. The cool thing is the little table stand that comes with the SB600 also has a tripod mount in it. I put it on a cheap little tripod and now I can move it anywhere I want.

68939108-L.jpg

Comments

• CookieSCookieS Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2006
    Very Cool, I tried this onec with my SB600 and D70 whcih had commander mode, now I have the D2h which doesnt, and im still trying to get the handle on using the flash, the lighspher is good but also i still need more consisitency with using it. I guess i need to go out and just practice with it more.
  • pixappealpixappeal Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited March 18, 2007
    Great pic! I love the expression on the kids face. I just ordered my LS tonight- can't wait to get it.
    Mike Adrover :photo

www.pixappeal.smugmug.com
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited March 24, 2007
    Nikon's inclusion of the Remote Commander mode in their DSLRs that have it is one of those gems of an idea that has not gotten enough attention. And to have this ability built into the camera body is just sensational.

In the Canon world you must attach an ST-E2 to the hot shoe to get similar ability, and I use it a lot for exactly the reason your photo displayed, nice soft even light that does not look like flash. Well done.

I just hope Canon is listening and includes this ability in their next DSLR upgrades!!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin