10/30/04: Major smugmug scheduled maintenance

onethumbonethumb SmugMug CEO & Chief GeekSilicon Valley, CAAdministrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
edited November 1, 2004 in SmugMug Support
NOTE: If you're a current smugmug subscriber and would like to post to this thread, you'll need to create a seperate account here on Digital Grin. They are sister sites, run by the same people, but don't share the same login information.

Late night (10pm Pacific or later) on Saturday, the 30th of October, smugmug will begin moving some of its servers and storage from one datacenter to another. This will impact smugmug service for the duration of the move. Smugmug won't be available for use during much of this period.

This move will allow smugmug to have a lot more breathing room. Our servers will be spread across two datacenters, rather than just one, and we've reserved a much larger space in the second datacenter for future growth.

In the event that maintenance cannot be finished completely by early Sunday morning, the event is designed to be completed in multiple stages. We'll post here on Digital Grin about future maintenance periods to complete the move. It's likely that we'll finish the following night, Sunday the 31st, but we're hoping it won't take multiple nights anyway.

We anticipate service returning to normal early Monday morning, Pactific time.

Thanks for your patience, and for being a part of the smugmug family.

Don

Comments

  • wxwaxwxwax Immoderator Atlanta, GARegistered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2004
    Sounds like a lot of work. Good luck, I hope it goes smoothly. Maybe the cooler weather will reduce the traditional Sunday night crush.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • jbeejbee Big grins Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited October 30, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Sounds like a lot of work. Good luck, I hope it goes smoothly. Maybe the cooler weather will reduce the traditional Sunday night crush.
    Not a great night to do it on Sunday. I plan, or was, on selling Holloween pictures.
  • onethumbonethumb SmugMug CEO & Chief Geek Silicon Valley, CAAdministrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2004
    jbee wrote:
    Not a great night to do it on Sunday. I plan, or was, on selling Holloween pictures.

    If I were a betting man, I'd bet we'll be done by Sunday morning and there won't be any service problems Sunday night.

    Of course, I could lose that bet.... :)

    Don
  • ian408ian408 More wag. Less Bark. Administrators Posts: 21,747 moderator
    edited October 31, 2004
    onethumb wrote:
    Thanks for your patience, and for being a part of the smugmug family.

    Don
    Could you post these notices (or at least a shorter version) in the "notes"
    section of user's smugmug page?

    I had a bunch of stuff I wanted to upload for Monday morning and this
    came as a bit of a surprise--not to worry, it's not a big deal.

    Good luck with the migration.

    Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Crazy Creek Babe Charleston, SCRegistered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2004
    I use the same log in info, have no idea if I have separate accts, thought I did, but that it said to use the same log in name and password.

    Am I a member?

    Also, I had no idea this was going to happen. Just happened to be up at 5 AM, naturally I could access nothing. Now I can access this site, happened to see this, as I was going to post that I could not see the photos. I assume this and that are related.

    I want to make sure I am a member of each, dgrin and smugmug, still/now/individually/whatever I need to be.

    ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • AndyAndy Bicameral New YorkRegistered Users Posts: 50,154 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2004
    ian408 wrote:
    Could you post these notices (or at least a shorter version) in the "notes"
    section of user's smugmug page?

    I had a bunch of stuff I wanted to upload for Monday morning and this
    came as a bit of a surprise--not to worry, it's not a big deal.

    Good luck with the migration.

    Ian

    it's been there for a while now, the news of this update.
  • onethumbonethumb SmugMug CEO & Chief Geek Silicon Valley, CAAdministrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2004
    ian408 wrote:
    Could you post these notices (or at least a shorter version) in the "notes"
    section of user's smugmug page?

    I had a bunch of stuff I wanted to upload for Monday morning and this
    came as a bit of a surprise--not to worry, it's not a big deal.

    Good luck with the migration.

    Ian

    Hi Ian,

    The top news headline for most of the week on your smugmug homepage had information about this outage.

    We'll try to make it even more visible in the future. Sorry about that!

    Don
  • AndyAndy Bicameral New YorkRegistered Users Posts: 50,154 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2004
    ginger
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I use the same log in info, have no idea if I have separate accts, thought I did, but that it said to use the same log in name and password.

    Am I a member?

    Also, I had no idea this was going to happen. Just happened to be up at 5 AM, naturally I could access nothing. Now I can access this site, happened to see this, as I was going to post that I could not see the photos. I assume this and that are related.

    I want to make sure I am a member of each, dgrin and smugmug, still/now/individually/whatever I need to be.

    ginger

    do you have access to your smugmug account (username, password?) of course. do you have access to dgrin (username, password)? of course. relax, dear, you are a member of each.

    have a good halloween
  • SallyRHSallyRH Beginner grinner Wilmington, NCRegistered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited October 31, 2004
    Good luck
    Whatever you need to do, even if it involves temporary inconvenience on our part, is more than made up for by the quality and ease of use you provide us with the Smugmug website. Good luck with the transfer.
    - Sally
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Crazy Creek Babe Charleston, SCRegistered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2004
    onethumb wrote:
    Hi Ian,

    The top news headline for most of the week on your smugmug homepage had information about this outage.

    We'll try to make it even more visible in the future. Sorry about that!

    Don
    I just keep thinking about this, even when not online. Funny, never knew there was a news headline. I have a pro acct, but I sell so little, I just rush on down to the galleries.

    I get my info here, if I get it. At least now I know to look for news at "home", so to speak.

    g deal.gif (reading, not writing)
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • JoanRJoanR Beginner grinner Bay Area, CARegistered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited October 31, 2004
    SallyRH wrote:
    Whatever you need to do, even if it involves temporary inconvenience on our part, is more than made up for by the quality and ease of use you provide us with the Smugmug website. Good luck with the transfer.
    - Sally
    I agree with Sally completely!
  • gniessengniessen Beginner grinner Houston, TXRegistered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited October 31, 2004
    onethumb wrote:
    If I were a betting man, I'd bet we'll be done by Sunday morning and there won't be any service problems Sunday night.

    Of course, I could lose that bet.... :)

    Don

    It would be great if you could post an update once and a while saying when the EST completion time would be. Not looking for to the minute, but a by 10 AM or by Noon, would really help. Then I know when to bother to come back and check. Saying it will be up by sunday night is a bit fague.

    I will say that this is the first service you have done that has impacted me. So kudoos to your support team for their hard work.
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Crazy Creek Babe Charleston, SCRegistered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2004
    Before I go to church, I just would like to add that I too love every single thing about this place, except, of course, what the powers who be think needs approving.

    And waiting for that, it is a joy considering how much I like my site (that part is said without sarcasm, I do really like my site). I am considering letting all others go (webshots), and just keeping this one. Wish I could get more people involved. Can't even get my family on the free ones. :D

    ginger bowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gif

    And I love the emoticons. Really miss them on AOL, go to put them on an e-mail, I can find them, but too much work. Love the emoticons. I did want a "scream" one the other day. Couldn't find it. Might be a nice improvement for the hysterical types, like me.
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Crazy Creek Babe Charleston, SCRegistered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2004
    Far too much time on my hands with all the good sites on the web down, this and smugmug, or only smugmug now.


    g:roll

    (am going to church, going to shoot a baptism, before the month of the dead. Plenty of baptisms then, too. later................
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • ian408ian408 More wag. Less Bark. Administrators Posts: 21,747 moderator
    edited October 31, 2004
    onethumb wrote:
    Hi Ian,

    The top news headline for most of the week on your smugmug homepage had information about this outage.

    We'll try to make it even more visible in the future. Sorry about that!

    Don
    Andy/Don, you're both absolutely correct. I missed it.

    Mia culpa.

    Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • onethumbonethumb SmugMug CEO & Chief Geek Silicon Valley, CAAdministrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2004
    gniessen wrote:
    It would be great if you could post an update once and a while saying when the EST completion time would be. Not looking for to the minute, but a by 10 AM or by Noon, would really help. Then I know when to bother to come back and check. Saying it will be up by sunday night is a bit fague.

    I will say that this is the first service you have done that has impacted me. So kudoos to your support team for their hard work.

    How's this for an update: We're done!

    4 brave smugmugs (75% of our little company!) toiled through the night and got it done. Some of you may recall that during our last datacenter move, we were also out for roughly the same number of hours. Interestingly enough, we have more than double the amount of equipment (probably triple?) we did last time, but had the same number of people helping. I guess we're getting better at this.

    We don't expect to ever move again. This datacenter has enough size for us to grow as large as we'll ever need to be. It's the same company (whom we love), if you're curious, they just ran out of space at their other location. We're growing like a weed. :)

    Thanks so much for your patience and kind words. It wasn't fun moving all of this equipment (1500+ lbs worth!) by hand, but coming back and finding such support from our customers makes it all worthwhile.

    Please do holler if you see any problems or glitches - I may not have tested every little nook and cranny.

    Don
  • ian408ian408 More wag. Less Bark. Administrators Posts: 21,747 moderator
    edited October 31, 2004
    onethumb wrote:
    How's this for an update: We're done!
    Automation rules....we run about a 150 server linux farm and it's much
    easier to deal with than the 40 or so solaris boxes :D

    Nice work.

    Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • wxwaxwxwax Immoderator Atlanta, GARegistered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2004
    Congratulations, Don. I'm glad to hear it went well. With the hours I keep, I never noticed an interruption.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • wxwaxwxwax Immoderator Atlanta, GARegistered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2004
    Un-sticky?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • BaldyBaldy SmugMug co-founder Mountain View, CaRegistered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited November 1, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Un-sticky?
    Indeed. Thanks for the reminder.
Sign In or Register to comment.