Subcategories on the Home Page

none2soonnone2soon Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
edited May 10, 2006 in SmugMug Support
**bump**

We've put together a (pro) site that will be used to display/archive photos from events/games at a school. It is entirely parent run and the pictures are from dedicated (non-pro) parent photographers. The goal is that as the years progress, we'll have a great collection of photos from both the current year and years past.

Here is the challenge. We'd like to display (sub)categories on the home page like "2006 Varsity Lacrosse", "2006 6th Grade Football", "Spring Band Concerts". But we'd also like to display on the home page prior years (i.e. "2004 - 2005", "2003 - 2004") where clicking on these would display. Clicking on prior school years would bring up a list of subcategories that correspond to that years categories ie. "2004 Varsity Lacrosse". The only way that I can see to do this is create the current years activities as categories ("2006 Varsity Lacrosse") and then move the respective galleries into a category/subcategory grouping at the end of the school year i.e. "2005 - 2006"/"Varsity Lacrosse".

But... there will be 200+ current categories for any given year and making this change every year is less than ideal.

An alternative would be to create a category of "2005 - 2006" and a subcategory of "2006 Varsity Lacrosse". But we would need to be able to display the current year's subcategory and the prior year's categories i.e. "2004 - 2005" on the home page.

Any ideas on this? I have forged through the forums but couldn't find a specific post on this. If I missed it, please just redirect...

Here's the current site: http://landon.smugmug.com. Many thanks to spoonman for using Landon's colors! (Personalized theme is next month's project, but spoonman's got something going here :): .)

Thanks.

Lee