Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2007
    Some good video stuff by Don here
    http://www.npost.com/interview.jsp?intID=INT00183
  • peestandinguppeestandingup Registered Users Posts: 489 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2007
    bigwebguy wrote:
    right, and does apple license fairplay? nope. why? because they have the dominant music store and dominant portable music player. they dont need to play nice with anybody else...they even have the record companies by the balls.i'll happily take your iPod since you aren't gonna use it anymore.
    Still feel the same way about Apple's evil DRM after reading this article, Lee??
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited February 7, 2007
    Still feel the same way about Apple's evil DRM after reading this article, Lee??

Well, to be fair, it's pretty easy for Jobs to say that, since he's pretty sure the labels won't blink anytime soon...

and DRM isn't an issue to iTunes customers with a clue anyway: you burn the tracks to CD, and rip them back in in a reasonable format.
    edited February 7, 2007
    imageinc wrote:
    Well, to be fair, it's pretty easy for Jobs to say that, since he's pretty sure the labels won't blink anytime soon...

and DRM isn't an issue to iTunes customers with a clue anyway: you burn the tracks to CD, and rip them back in in a reasonable format.
    Right, but it just reiterates that Apple hates DRM as much as we do & makes it as fair as the record labels will allow. And whether or not the labels blink anytime soon, its still pretty ballsy of him.

Yeah, but people who buy physical CDs are a dying breed, especially the newer generations. Every year iTunes moves closer & closer towards the top of all music sells (CDs & downloads). I think they are #4 now, with Target being just ahead of them at #3.

This whole iPod/iTunes DRM thing wasnt part of the original plan. Rember, iPod came out in 2001 & was meant to use with iTunes to rip your CDs. The iTunes Music Store came out in 2003.
  • MalteMalte Registered Users Posts: 1,181 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2007
    Right, but it just reiterates that Apple hates DRM as much as we do...its still pretty ballsy of him...

Not really. If this has been his opinion he could have spoken up much sooner, not wait until anti-DRM is "sweeping the nation". Heck, even Bill Gates said it before Jobs.

Malte
    edited February 7, 2007
    Malte wrote:
    Not really. If this has been his opinion he could have spoken up much sooner, not wait until anti-DRM is "sweeping the nation". Heck, even Bill Gates said it before Jobs.
    Yeah, but Gates has nothing to lose. How was Zune/Zune Marketplace selling again?? Oh, thats right, they arent. Its easy to criticize the game when you arent a part of it.

Lee, im still waiting. ear.gif
  • bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited February 8, 2007
    Yeah, but Gates has nothing to lose. How was Zune/Zune Marketplace selling again?? Oh, thats right, they arent. Its easy to criticize the game when you arent a part of it.

Lee, im still waiting. ear.gif
    I dunno what you took away from our previous discussion Kerry, but you're obviously looking to put me in my place so i'll indulge you.

1) I never said Apple's DRM was evil
    2) I think it would be great if there was no DRM
    3) Jobs and I both know DRM is not disappearing anytime soon so it's easy to say stuff like that. Especially easy when you're preaching from the first chair.
    4) It's all about money. To think it's because "Apple hates DRM" is just silly. The iPod has no real threat in the portable music player space and if DRM went away iPods would only become more popular. Apple's plans have always been about selling iPods, not music. By not licensing FairPlay, their content distribution model facilitates that perfectly.

My opinion is that Jobs just got out of a meeting with a record/movie studio and was pissed off so he decided to fire a shot back. The anti-drm movement is very easy to stir up.
    Pedal faster
  • MalteMalte Registered Users Posts: 1,181 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2007
    Yeah, but Gates has nothing to lose. How was Zune/Zune Marketplace selling again?...

Nothing to lose?! eek7.gif Zune aside, there's Playsforsure, Xbox, Mediacenter, IPTV , TV foundation and they're all about DRM. And He's saying that noone has done DRM right, including Microsoft.

Now that's ballsy!

Malte
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited February 8, 2007
    bigwebguy wrote:
    My opinion is that Jobs just got out of a meeting with a record/movie studio and was pissed off so he decided to fire a shot back. The anti-drm movement is very easy to stir up.

Hee.

Yeah, we are, aren't we? ;-)
  • TazzyTazzyTazzyTazzy Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited November 1, 2007
    It's been over a year!
    Bump....

It's been over a year since it was mentioned that better video support was coming. There was also an article where Don mentions how "...it really sucks." In the article, he even mentions that "We will do something. We'll improve it. We have the feature, and it's bad of us to just kind of let it languish. So we'll improve it."

Did I miss something? Has it been improved and I just missed it? I couldn't find any statements or articles about this.

I hope that XVID or some other MPEG-4 support arrives soon. thumb.gif I like taking videos with 640x480x30fps. This is rather large in MPEG-2 (or 1), but rather small in MPEG-4 which you be hard pressed to tell the difference, even at the significantly lower bitrate.

Anyways, just me partially venting and curious. Thanks.
  • SheafSheaf Registered Users, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 775 SmugMug Employee
    edited November 1, 2007
    Don't forget his blog post here.

To reiterate though: We will ship it when it is done. We want it. You want it. We know you want it. We want to give it to you. But we want to, above all, make sure it is really good.

Clear as mud?
    SmugMug Product Manager
    edited November 1, 2007
    That's nice and all, but they've been saying that for about about a year and a half (maybe two?). How long does it take? Sounds like we'll have mpeg-5 out by the time this gets implemented. ne_nau.gif

I might look into getting a cheap dreamhost account and see if I can find some sort of CMS/php based video sharing thingy. eek7.gif
    edited November 1, 2007
    TazzyTazzy wrote:
    That's nice and all, but they've been saying that for about about a year and a half (maybe two?). How long does it take? Sounds like we'll have mpeg-5 out by the time this gets implemented. ne_nau.gif

I might look into getting a cheap dreamhost account and see if I can find some sort of CMS/php based video sharing thingy. eek7.gif
    Hang in there thumb.gif and we really appreciate the mega-patience you all have been showing!

Stay tuned.
    edited November 1, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Hang in there thumb.gif and we really appreciate the mega-patience you all have been showing!

Stay tuned.

Thanks Andy. Just as an FYI. You might want to check out the FLV player module for gallery2. You can see a sweet example here. Just install this onto cheap dreamhost account (1 year worth for $9.30. 500gb, 1tb transfers. these increase every week or month or something. Use their 10th anniversary code "101010" (it's my not coupon or someone elses, it's actual dreamhost one).

There's many FLV encoder....

-- flv encoder (Windows)
    http://www.rivavx.de/index.php?encoder&L=3

MediaCoder (Windows, MacOS support through WINE)
    http://mediacoder.sourceforge.net/download.htm

--- mac folks ---
    http://www.ffmpegx.com/ (looks really sweet)

Cheers.
  • SheafSheaf Registered Users, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 775 SmugMug Employee
    edited November 9, 2007
    Sheaf wrote:
    To reiterate though: We will ship it when it is done. We want it. You want it. We know you want it. We want to give it to you. But we want to, above all, make sure it is really good.

Clear as mud?

Sometimes it is difficult to keep quiet about a feature when someone asks about it precisely while the feature is in internal testing.

Happy video sharing, SmugMuggers!

http://www.smugmug.com/help/video3
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • scwalterscwalter Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2007
    Sheaf wrote:
    Sometimes it is difficult to keep quiet about a feature when someone asks about it precisely while the feature is in internal testing.

Happy video sharing, SmugMuggers!

http://www.smugmug.com/help/video3

Thank you, thank you, thank you! wings.gif
    Scott Walter Photography
    scwalter.smugmug.com
    edited November 9, 2007
    scwalter wrote:
    Thank you, thank you, thank you! wings.gif
    :D