Options

Red Tailed Hawk young, and body parts

ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
edited May 12, 2006 in Wildlife
Often I would just see the folliage move, try to locate the bird visually, then try to locate it with my lens.
The folliage was such that I often was at a very strange angle with just parts of a bird showing. Also the lighting was very contrasty. I exposed for the Hawk........or I lost the shot. Doing that, I often ended up with some "interesting" lighting that looked "out" of this world, quite literally.

68817667-L.jpg

This young hawk is IN the nest looking out. I am outside of the nest looking up: surreal.

Below is a favorite shot of mine, too contrasty and strange for many tastes, I am sure, but I like it. Someone else might, too.

68747001-L.jpg

See the young hawks and parents do not stay in the nest, they walk around the Live Oak Tree, it is kind of their own neighborhood in which they feel comfortable, and it almost hides them from any vantage point of photography. Especially as there is a rd on one side of the tree and a forbidden meadow with water on the other side, to the rt and left. That leaves front, back and under. I was under a lot, with my mouth open: scary thought!

68728400-L.jpg

I like wing flapping, they are "my" little angels, especially with the surreal lighting.

68614355-L.jpg

In working them up, I saw that these definitely have the yellow eyes of a juvenile. They just walk around up there. The parents fly in and out, to my disappointment I did not get a front shot of that. I did get many "tail end" shots. No matter which side if the huge nest I was on.

Below is the best MISS I got. I had the 400 plus extender on. I needed it when I didn't have it on, and for something like this, well, I missed. Maybe you can get an idea of size, though.

68746989-L.jpg

Below: Baby in a hammock? I don't think so, but I like to imagine it that way. I left it light for the surreal effect.

68887993-L.jpg

Shooting under a tree can make for extreme feelings of falling...........and actual falling moments. Next time I plan to concentrate on shooting a bit later, trying to get a parent posing............maybe use my flash? Definitely not shooting straight up! If they are still there.

ginger

thanks for looking.........you can comment! I understand that feelings could be mixed at best. Perhaps it is the amt of work I put in on these that makes them special for me, surreal or not. (that afternoon late is also when I got the woodpecker shot..........all shots that I am posting now. It was just Monday 5/8)
After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.

Comments

• Options
    Dick on ArubaDick on Aruba Registered Users Posts: 3,484 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2006
    I know it's very hard to get a decent exposure with this kind of lightning. I think you did well on this series.

Dick.
    "Nothing sharpens sight like envy."
    Thomas Fuller.

SmugMug account.
    Website.
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2006
    Hey Ginger
    Thats some tough lighting for sure and yes I see what your talking about.
    Lucky you just to know where and be able to watch the goings on in the nest.

Next time yes try to use your flash and dial down main exposure.
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2006
    you did ok with some very bad lighting Ginger.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2006
    Thanks, Dick, thanks Ben, and Thanks, Harry!

The thing I like about this series is how the hawks set off the Spanish Moss, I love that stuff! They seem to be living right in it!

At least I did not die of vertigo, that was a trip, felt like an LSD trip (which I have never had), or a Marijuana trip (which was not a good one).

ginger
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2006
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Thanks, Dick, thanks Ben, and Thanks, Harry!

The thing I like about this series is how the hawks set off the Spanish Moss, I love that stuff! They seem to be living right in it!

At least I did not die of vertigo, that was a trip, felt like an LSD trip (which I have never had), or a Marijuana trip (which was not a good one).

ginger
    but how do you compare them trips with out a short one headscratch.gif try shooting them from another angle or a different time of day [not sooooo back lit ] very good find oh yea do not climb the tree eek7.gif
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2006
    Hey, Jeff, thanks for the warning re tree climbing! I might try it, but afraid it would scare the birds..................or any lurking naturalists.

ginger:):
  • Options
    wolfieswolfies Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2006
    I’m jealous theses are cool they turned out great I didn’t find the light really distracting at all
  • Options
    dups41dups41 Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited May 12, 2006
    Great baby shots hawks Ginger! For the "little angel" with wings flapping, the perspective and lighting are most appropriate and the expression on his face is priceless. clap.gif
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2006
    Thanks, :D , Wolfies and Dups!

Nice posts to wake up to!

Yes, I like these myself........and they were taken from three sides, if you count underneath, it would be 4 sides. I got more than I expected, that is a gift right there. Next year, if they nest in the same place, I Plan to start earlier.

Thanks again,
    ginger