My stab at 64 - Rock Climbing

SugarloafurSugarloafur Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
edited May 11, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
So I was rock climbing a few days ago, and wondered if either of these photos would work for the challenge. I can't really change them, since I'm no longer climbing at the same place, but feedback is always appreciated. Thanks!

stretch.jpg
Leap of Faith

fun.jpg
Climbing Rocks

Comments

• SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2006
    The first shot lacks sharpness to the face. The second is a bit better, but looks as if the focus is on the shorts not the face. The angle of the pix, the obivious difficulty in taking the shot is very apparent ... and they enchance the wow factor ... but without the focus being where it needs to be (in this case the face), the pixs fail to impress.
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • SugarloafurSugarloafur Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited May 11, 2006
    Seefutlung wrote:
    The first shot lacks sharpness to the face. The second is a bit better, but looks as if the focus is on the shorts not the face. The angle of the pix, the obivious difficulty in taking the shot is very apparent ... and they enchance the wow factor ... but without the focus being where it needs to be (in this case the face), the pixs fail to impress.

Thanks for the feedback. I noticed these same issues, and I have a lot more, but not many good ones with his face. It was a tricky, fun, and scary place to shoot from. Scary because I didn't want to drop my equipment, tricky because it was off the side of a 60' cliff, and fun... well, just because! It's very hard to capture a climber looking straight up the cliff, as focus is usually only a yard or so above where the climber is. Thanks again for the comments.
  • Nee7x7Nee7x7 Registered Users Posts: 459 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2006
    The second shot is by far the better of the two (and has a wow factor, despite the focus problems). I think the focus issue could be helped somewhat by sharpening the face more and maybe softening the shorts a tad (I know this is probably "bad" advice, but you might be able to pull it off and make the photo work - and fool our eyes, so to speak). Anyhow, that's my two cents worth, and it'll only cost you a nickle, lol! ~Nee rolleyes1.gif
    http://nee.smugmug.com[/COLOR]
    http://www.pbase.com/rdavis

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that you tried~
  • Nee7x7Nee7x7 Registered Users Posts: 459 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2006
    Here's a quick example of what I mean (lots of artifacts since I didn't have the original file to work with...)

What I did - Used the sharpening tool to gently sharpen the face area. Used the blur tool to blur the lower part of his body and rope end. Adjusted contrast and used the dodge tool to lighten up the midtones on his face and the burn tool to slightly darken the shadows on his face to fine tune the sharpening effect. Used the burn tool (midtone setting) on his shorts and thigh to slightly darken that area. Then I created a duplicate layer and used a fairly mild gaussian blur (about 4.5%), then used the eraser tool to erase around his eyes, nose, mouth and helmet and any other areas where the details needed to be sharper, then with the layer set to normal, I reduced the opacity to around 25% (sorry, forgot to make a note of the setting...it's still too early in the morning for me!) and merged the layers. Then I cropped the pic slightly to bring it in closer to your main subject...and that is all!

Only took a few minutes to do all this and even though the end result is not the best quality for lack of the original file, just imagine what you can accomplish with the original! Shoot...I shouldn't be helping you cuz if you pull this off, you stand a good chance of beating the heck out of my entry in the challenge, lol! Well, I think your photo deserves a shot at it. Best of luck to you!

~Nee :)
    http://nee.smugmug.com[/COLOR]
    http://www.pbase.com/rdavis

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that you tried~
    edited May 11, 2006
    Nee7x7 wrote:
    Here's a quick example of what I mean (lots of artifacts since I didn't have the original file to work with...)

What I did - Used the sharpening tool to gently sharpen the face area. Used the blur tool to blur the lower part of his body and rope end. Adjusted contrast and used the dodge tool to lighten up the midtones on his face and the burn tool to slightly darken the shadows on his face to fine tune the sharpening effect. Used the burn tool (midtone setting) on his shorts and thigh to slightly darken that area. Then I created a duplicate layer and used a fairly mild gaussian blur (about 4.5%), then used the eraser tool to erase around his eyes, nose, mouth and helmet and any other areas where the details needed to be sharper, then with the layer set to normal, I reduced the opacity to around 25% (sorry, forgot to make a note of the setting...it's still too early in the morning for me!) and merged the layers. Then I cropped the pic slightly to bring it in closer to your main subject...and that is all!

Only took a few minutes to do all this and even though the end result is not the best quality for lack of the original file, just imagine what you can accomplish with the original! Shoot...I shouldn't be helping you cuz if you pull this off, you stand a good chance of beating the heck out of my entry in the challenge, lol! Well, I think your photo deserves a shot at it. Best of luck to you!

~Nee :)

Thanks for all the great advice! I'm not very much into enhancing my photos, but I guess I've got to start somewhere. I'll keep this in mind and maybe I'll pull it off. Thanks!
    edited May 11, 2006
    Photoshopped (actually, Paint-Shop-Pro-ed)
    OK, here's the adjusted image:
    fun2.jpg

and the original:
    fun.jpg
  • sayntbrigidsayntbrigid Registered Users Posts: 381 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2006
    I think it a GREAT photo, the red blue yellow and white against the neutral rocky background is very nice :D
    True happiness is wanting what you have
    http://avatars.imvu.com/sayntbrigidii
  • sayntbrigidsayntbrigid Registered Users Posts: 381 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2006
    this is prolly ALL wrong, but I felt like turning it on the side, and adding some light...just to see what you think...then I would crop it a bit on the right if it was me to get rid of that extra bit of red....not that I know anything, I just think photos are lotsa fun :))

69058070-L.jpg
    True happiness is wanting what you have
    http://avatars.imvu.com/sayntbrigidii
    edited May 11, 2006
    this is prolly ALL wrong, but I felt like turning it on the side, and adding some light...just to see what you think...then I would crop it a bit on the right if it was me to get rid of that extra bit of red....not that I know anything, I just think photos are lotsa fun :))

69058070-L.jpg

See, I like the rope in the image, it helps to give a little more depth, in my opinion, that's why I've left it there. It's hard to tell that it's a 60' cliff, but I think it makes it a little easier to see with the extra part of the climbing rope.

Funny you mention the angle of the photo... I actually shot it rotated 90 degrees counter clockwise, looking straight down. The camera automatically flipped it, and I became fond of the new angle.

fun3.jpg

But, after seeing it cropped and flipped... you might be onto something.

Here's flipped without a crop:

fun3flippedover.jpg
    Well, I certainly can't decide which looks the best.
  • asdasd Registered Users Posts: 115 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2006
    I like it better flipped the way you've done above - it feels like I'm looking over the edge at the climber.