Options

Steeplechase in Mineral Springs, NC

gildcogildco Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
edited May 14, 2006 in Wildlife
I love horses, and that is what keeps me going to the Mineral Springs, NC, steeplechase each year. We rent a tent, bring food & drink (spirits), bet on the races, and have a great time. Besides, this race benefits the Nature Conservancy, a good cause. If you like horseflesh, you would appreciate this event. Magnificent animals and fine jockeys.

68001904-M-3.jpg[/url]

69174283-M-1.jpg

68007153-M.jpg

69044385-L.jpg

68001892-M.jpg

69036761-M-2.jpg

Gil

Comments

• Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2006
    Gil all I'm getting is red Xs. You probably don't have external links activated on your Smugmug gallery
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    CookieSCookieS Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2006
    Oooh I want to see.
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2006
    Harryb wrote:
    Gil all I'm getting is red Xs. You probably don't have external links activated on your Smugmug gallery

Indeed right, Harry. Thanks for the corrective action; I appreciate it.
    Gil
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2006
    CookieS wrote:
    Oooh I want to see.

Harry suggested a fix that worked. Please do try looking at my photos again.
    Gil
  • Options
    raianraian Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2006
    I see them now. Love #2. I think you really captured the moment on that one. Just because I'm learning... on #4 the horses and the sign on the jump look really pixelated (if I spelled that correctly). What causes that?
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2006
    raian wrote:
    I see them now. Love #2. I think you really captured the moment on that one. Just because I'm learning... on #4 the horses and the sign on the jump look really pixelated (if I spelled that correctly). What causes that?

Thanks for the input. I replaced the picture to which you were referring with one that gives a truer representation of the horses' colors. The letters in white on the sign show the shadows created by the black "pompom" above them.
    Gil
  • Options
    CookieSCookieS Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2006
    I like the exposure on the last one best, a couple others the whites are prety contrasty. were you using servo. ? I noticed in one the grey horse near the back in focus instead of the ones over the fence. Next time you can try prefocusing on the jump or just in front of it, It may help :) Nice job with hard condtions.
  • Options
    lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2006
    LOVE that last one, great timing and composition.
  • Options
    edited May 13, 2006
    CookieS wrote:
    I like the exposure on the last one best, a couple others the whites are prety contrasty. were you using servo. ? I noticed in one the grey horse near the back in focus instead of the ones over the fence. Next time you can try prefocusing on the jump or just in front of it, It may help :) Nice job with hard condtions.

Excellent suggestion about the focusing. Yes, the whites are very contrasted. The problem for me was if I lowered the contrast, the picture became very dark. I need to continue learning Photoshop to make the appropriate adjustments. Thanks for the input.
    Gil
  • Options
    edited May 13, 2006
    lynnesite wrote:
    LOVE that last one, great timing and composition.

Thanks for your comment. That one is also my favorite.
    Gil
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited May 14, 2006
    enjoyed the series
    I really enjoyed this series. Loved the chestnut & the bay in #3 with their gallop strides in tandem. Wow!
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2006
    KaMo wrote:
    I really enjoyed this series. Loved the chestnut & the bay in #3 with their gallop strides in tandem. Wow!

Thank you. I appreciate your comments.
    Gil