Thumbnails in Photoshop

ProFProF Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited May 12, 2006 in Finishing School
Hello, all.

I'm new to PhotoShop (I have version 6), and have run into a problem with pics taken with my new Panasonic FZ30.

I asked this question on a couple of other boards, but got no replies over the past month or so, so perhaps this is a unique problem. But I thought I'd share it here, too. Maybe someone here has had the same problem.

I've discovered that Photoshop won't display thumbnails (in the File, Open menu) for files larger than 2.9megs.
This is a problem, as most of the pics taken with my new FZ30 are in the 3-4meg range. The size limitation seems to be right at 3 megs, as one file at 2.9+ showed the thumbnail and another at 3.0+ wouldn't.

Is this a Photoshop issue, or something to do with the camera? I notice that Zoombrowser (a program that came with my Canon Elph) also has problems showing the thumbnail (preview) of large files. Irfanview and ACDSee seem to handle them okay.

In every case, the picture will open correctly into the program when I click on its filename. It's just really annoying not to be able to see the preview when highlighting the list of files in the menu.

I use Irfanview as my default viewer when I upload pics to the computer, and there's no problem whatever viewing thumbs. I'm at a total loss here.

Thanks in advance, and whatever help someone could provide will be greatly appreciated.

ProF