shooting at the golf course

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited October 28, 2004 in Holy Macro
i did a job this afternoon for a local golf course - this is a club that has hosted the u.s. open multiple times, the women's open, the senior open, and the u.s. amateur championships. it was really fun to shoot the course, i've played it many many times, but i've never once had a camera there at the right time. we were like crazy race drivers tonight, during the magic hour, speeding all over the place to get the shots. here's a half-dozen:

10476781-L.jpg

10476749-L.jpg

10476797-L.jpg

10476805-L.jpg

10476811-L.jpg

10476812-L.jpg

enjoy (chasing the little white ball around) photography,

Comments

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited October 27, 2004
    andy wrote:
    i did a job this afternoon for a local golf course - this is a club that has hosted the u.s. open multiple times, the women's open, the senior open, and the u.s. amateur championships. it was really fun to shoot the course, i've played it many many times, but i've never once had a camera there at the right time. we were like crazy race drivers tonight, during the magic hour, speeding all over the place to get the shots. here's a half-dozen:

10476781-Th.jpg

10476749-Th.jpg

10476797-Th.jpg

10476805-Th.jpg

10476811-Th.jpg

10476812-Th.jpg

I particularly like the use of multiple diagonal lines in this one and the use of the orange against the water - very nicely done graphic reflection. 1drink.gif
    10476811-M.jpg
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2004
    Very well done. I would say that the photos almost look professional, but I would be lying, they do look professional.

EVen the tree trunks. I know they take very good of the grass at golf clubs, but the tree trunks? Is there a form of air brushing involved?

They are great photos, Andy.

g:D
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2004
    let's talk about post, shall we?
    that's path, and ginger.

these shots were fun. however, the lighting was really really mixed, and that's an understatement.

i proofed 50 shots in 60 minutes. open raw, a quick curve, maybe a layer mask, and on 1/2 the shots i used ps cs shadow/highlight, at varying strength from 10-30%.

gotta love shadow highlight - but use it sparingly and always use the eyeball off/on to see if anything's hinky.....

:D
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2004
    andy wrote:

10476781-L.jpg

10476812-L.jpg

I like these two the best. Tell me, what post processing did you do on #1? It looks like a painting.

Sam
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2004
    Sam wrote:
    I like these two the best. Tell me, what post processing did you do on #1? It looks like a painting.

Sam

as i said above, converted from raw, added just a small amount of curves, a boost to the color sat, and shadow highlight at about 10% - for the tree trunk mainly. et voila!

thanks for the kind words, sam :D
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited October 27, 2004
    The first shot has nice perspective.

If I were playing the course, I'd probably see that often though
    the pin would probably be behind the tree :D

Great pictures!

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2004
    this one
    10476811-Th.jpg never see a bad shot from you, all are great but just to be different i like this ripple i would just like to get the focus or what the h--- even close to what is a norm for all your shots great work Andy
    clap.gif
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • cowgirl21cowgirl21 Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited October 28, 2004
    Wonderful shots! I strive to be that good. (I'm not even close yet) What kind of camera do you use again? Also, yes I am a beginner and I only have Photoshop Elements 2.0. What does it mean when you add "curves" . I don't think I have that feature.ne_nau.gif
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2004
    Very nice, Andy. I have a beautiful golf course nearby and I often go for a walk there. I've tried shooting there a lot and my shots always seem boring to me. It's really nice to see examples of good shots taken on a golf course. Maybe I'll try again while the fall color is still here.

Now, shooting golfers; that has potential. I've never really been interested in golf, but it seems like a real photo opportunity now that I think about it.
    If not now, when?
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2004
    Spectacular color saturation on the first shot, Andy. As always, thanks for sharing your tips. I bought a large book this week, solely for the section on Curves. I will master Curves if it kills me.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2004
    Golf Course
    Andy,you can turn a pigs ear into a silk purse.mwink.gif
    I can't stand golf let alone look at a course.
    My fav is the last one.
    Wonderfully done.
    John