moon river

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited November 2, 2004 in Holy Macro
138528770_XAqsp-XL-9.jpg

Comments

• ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2004
    Very nice shot, Andy. I am curious on the moon (?). Can you just leave them like that? Blown?

This is the last shot of that moon/sea shoot. I was at 1600 by then, Bill was threatening to go sit in the car, the place was deserted, etc. Anyway, last shot. I kind of like it, sorry about the grain. But I did not think the moon could be blow, can it?
    g

10491548-L.jpg
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2004
    moon shots - exposure etc
    hi ginger,

thanks for the comment!

there are several options for shooting the moon:

1. expose for the scene - get a blown moon
    2. expose for the moon - get a ue scene
    3. expose for the middle, shoot raw, and develop multiple shots, stack

4. separate exposures for scene and moon, tripod mount of course, and blend the two

5. for tight shots, eclipse stuff, 300mm, 500mm reach is important for top shelf stuff, meaning the moon is relatively big in the frame

6. the best moon-only shots i've seen are from a camera attached to a telescope - wow :-)

thanks for stopping by and the kind words!
  • Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2004
    That's such a beautiful picture!thumb.gif I wish the trees around here would turn colors like that. I love how the water is darker further out and lighter closer in.
    -Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.
  • Ben:::DBen:::D Registered Users Posts: 76 Big grins
    edited October 31, 2004
    Nice shot Andy. thumb.gif

I'm curious...is the blur in the water done with a filter (in camera) or in post (PS, etc.)??

thanks.
    edited October 31, 2004
    Ben:::D wrote:
    Nice shot Andy. thumb.gif

I'm curious...is the blur in the water done with a filter (in camera) or in post (PS, etc.)??

thanks.

long exposure, ben, smooths out the water. thanks :D
    edited November 2, 2004
    Red Bull wrote:
    That's such a beautiful picture!thumb.gif I wish the trees around here would turn colors like that. I love how the water is darker further out and lighter closer in.

thanks so much, red bull :D