Multiple printhouses?

wellmanwellman Registered Users Posts: 961 Major grins
edited May 14, 2006 in SmugMug Support
I have a question on printhouses. I love my SmugMug service, and I love the prints I get from Mpix. I'm not knocking EZPrints in any way - they give fantastic and accurate results at a reasonable price. I just happen to like Mpix a little bit more (maybe it's the paper - I dunno).

I'm a relatively new subscriber, so I don't know all the history, but I assume that when SmugMug first signed on with EZ Prints, the company had comparatively few users. Now that SmugMug has >100,000 users, would it make sense to offer prints from multiple vendors?

Thanks for your great service and support!
-Greg

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2006
    Hi Greg, many thanks for posting and the suggestion.
  • wellmanwellman Registered Users Posts: 961 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Greg, many thanks for posting and the suggestion.

You're quite welcome. I know the battle between choice and ease-of-use if a tricky balancing act. I just get warm fuzzies at the thought of direct Smugmug-to-Mpix ordering. :D

Have a good weekend.
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2006
    wellman wrote:
    You're quite welcome. I know the battle between choice and ease-of-use if a tricky balancing act. I just get warm fuzzies at the thought of direct Smugmug-to-Mpix ordering. :D

Have a good weekend.

My vote has always been for Smugmug to switch to WHCC, the ultimate in my opinion. They have a $12 minimum print order, which would force SM to send lesser orders to EZprints, but the biggest advantage of WHCC is their larger size prints: They offer more sizes, (and PANORAMAS!!!) they're cheaper across the board, and they ship flat instead of rolled and tubed. I had issues with damaged tubed prints from EZ prints; Smugmug say's the issue was solved but I can't confirm that because I've been printing at WHCC ever since. Free 2nd day shipping plus the fact that they don't "out-source" 24x36" prints (EZprints does, and a 24x36" takes weeks to arrive...) Oh and if I need to, I can have WHCC mount prints to foam core etc. for framing. I may know how to cut mat board, but I'm the world's worst mounter!

So, wellman, you and I both hope for a reformation of Smugmug's printing services. We may prefer different 3rd party labs, but our solution seems to be the same: Smugmug should offer / merge printing from multiple labs.

-Matt-
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2006
    this sounds pretty nice
    Free 2nd day shipping

Free 2nd day shipping on all orders? Really? That definitely catches my attention-- and would be an incredible way to promote print sales on a smugmug site. Sure, people care about a quality guarantee but as a local furniture salesman used to say in his late-night commercials, "Free is a very good price."

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2006
    dogwood wrote:
    Free 2nd day shipping on all orders? Really? That definitely catches my attention-- and would be an incredible way to promote print sales on a smugmug site. Sure, people care about a quality guarantee but as a local furniture salesman used to say in his late-night commercials, "Free is a very good price."
    Dogwood, suffice it to say that I could go on and on about how awesome WHCC is. I won't because this is not the place or time, but I'm definitely a customer for life.

I can say one thing: they also offer metallic prints like Mpix does; EZprints does not. And I cannot bear to print B&W from EZprints at all, because they don't print true B&W prints so they have a nasty color cast when viewed in artificial light... Okay I'm done, I won't rag on them any more. It's up to Smugmug to decide what to do, and I'm sure they've got many other fish to fry right now.

-Matt-
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2006
    how does EZprints ship 4x6's? if its rolled isn't that kinda useless when you could just put them inbetween some cardboard?ne_nau.gif
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2006
    DanielB wrote:
    how does EZprints ship 4x6's? if its rolled isn't that kinda useless when you could just put them inbetween some cardboard?ne_nau.gif

I've had 10x15 mailed flat from EZ. Anything larger than that got rolled.