bandwidth question

BeltzClanBeltzClan Registered Users Posts: 125 Major grins
edited May 12, 2006 in SmugMug Support
Got a Pro account and am unclear on the whole bandwidth limitations. As a Pro account I see that I have a limit of up to 1PB a month... I am at 740 mb. What the heck is a PB? Does mean that I am fast approaching my limit? When I get to 999.99 MB's, does that mean that I am about to turn over to 1PB and get chrged more for bandwidth? Cuz now I am scared.

Also - I went pack to SmugMug's home page and I see that the explantion from Smugmug to potential customers is the following:

Unlimited traffic

As long as you're using your professional account for photo sharing—posting photos to forums & blogs, and inviting visitors to view your galleries—your traffic is unlimited.
It's not intended to host non-photographic web graphics for commercial websites.

DO I still have to pay but new customers won't? Or do I get this new benifit too and my control panel just has not been updated. Current remarks on contol panel say: bandwidth used: 742.29 MB (out of 1 PB) | more details

Signed,
Confused.

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2006
    BeltzClan wrote:
    Got a Pro account and am unclear on the whole bandwidth limitations. As a Pro account I see that I have a limit of up to 1PB a month... I am at 740 mb. What the heck is a PB? Does mean that I am fast approaching my limit? When I get to 999.99 MB's, does that mean that I am about to turn over to 1PB and get chrged more for bandwidth? Cuz now I am scared.

Also - I went pack to SmugMug's home page and I see that the explantion from Smugmug to potential customers is the following:

Unlimited traffic

As long as you're using your professional account for photo sharing—posting photos to forums & blogs, and inviting visitors to view your galleries—your traffic is unlimited.
    It's not intended to host non-photographic web graphics for commercial websites.

DO I still have to pay but new customers won't? Or do I get this new benifit too and my control panel just has not been updated. Current remarks on contol panel say: bandwidth used: 742.29 MB (out of 1 PB) | more details

Signed,
    Confused.

Pros have UNLIMITED bandwidth. We had to put something in the control panel. If you use 1Pb we'll be amazed, and you'll be very popular :D

Don't worry about a thing.

wave.gif and, welcome to Dgrin!
  • bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited May 12, 2006
    BeltzClan wrote:

Unlimited traffic

Signed,
    Confused.
    you have unlimited traffic. dont worry about what that says. PB stands for Petabyte and if you're curious: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petabyte
    Pedal faster
  • BeltzClanBeltzClan Registered Users Posts: 125 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2006
    bigwebguy wrote:
    you have unlimited traffic. dont worry about what that says. PB stands for Petabyte and if you're curious: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petabyte

OH DEAR HOLY GOD!!!

OK... I'm good... Not worried anymore. Well at least I know what PB stands for. I was thinking it had something to do with peanut butter. It makes me hungry everytime I check my stats. HA!
  • mbradymbrady Registered Users Posts: 321 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2006
    I have a semi-related question, but it's more just to satisfy my curiousity.

What about instantaneous bandwidth? Say for example, for some unknown reason I had a gallery that was featured on Slashdot, Fark, and Digg all at the same time. Would the Smugmug servers burst into flames and all the routers melt into a pool of molten plastic and metal? Has anything like that ever happened? (not the meltdown part, the intense traffic part!)

(and I'm just speaking hypothetically, I don't have anything that would end up featured on any of those sites)
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2006
    Hey! I want a Yottabyte of bandwidth! :D ...sorry, couldn't resist.
  • WirelessWireless Registered Users Posts: 162 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2006
    Why am I twitching? eek7.gif

rolleyes1.gif