RAW Hide

Zoom RaiderZoom Raider Registered Users Posts: 317 Major grins
edited May 13, 2006 in Finishing School
The only NEF viewer that I can find is the Microsoft RAW Image Thumbnailer and Viewer for WindowsXP .gaiconbig.gif It loads soooo slow. It's a 5.8mb program. Are there any other RAW viewers out there that are good and a bit faster to load up.

My NEF images are hidden and can't load any until I d/l something, and I'm hoping there's something better than Microsoft's. Nikon Capture says it cannot support the NEFs.:rolleyes I thought NC was also designed to open them.

Thanks!
http://mostamazingprophecies.com

My Gear
Camera: Nikon D50
Lens: Sigma 18-50mm F3.5-5.6 DC
Flash: Nikon SB600 SpeedLight
Vertical Powergrip: Opteka Platinum Series
Flash Diffuser: Lightsphere II (Clear)

Teleconverter: Quantaray 2x
Lens Filters: 2 SunPak UV 58mm

Card: Lexar Platinum II 512mb/60x
Bag: Canon 200DG

Printer: Canon PIXMA iP6700D

Fisher-Advent Audio

Comments

• cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2006
    The only NEF viewer that I can find is the Microsoft RAW Image Thumbnailer and Viewer for WindowsXP .gaiconbig.gif It loads soooo slow. It's a 5.8mb program. Are there any other RAW viewers out there that are good and a bit faster to load up.

My NEF images are hidden and can't load any until I d/l something, and I'm hoping there's something better than Microsoft's. Nikon Capture says it cannot support the NEFs.rolleyes1.gif I thought NC was also designed to open them.

Thanks!

Download Raw Shooter Essentials...its free

http://www.pixmantec.com/products/rawshooter_essentials.asp
  • Zoom RaiderZoom Raider Registered Users Posts: 317 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2006
    cmason wrote:
    Download Raw Shooter Essentials...its free

http://www.pixmantec.com/products/rawshooter_essentials.asp

Thanks!

It looks like a good photo-enhancer, but I can't find a way in RAWShooter to make it fill my monitor like Windows Picture/Fax Viewer, can. And of course my NEFs won't open in WPFV, nor can I make my NEFs become my wallpaper... only if they're in JPEG.umph.gif

If there's nothing out there better than the Microsoft RAW Image Thumbnailer/Viewer, then I'll have to d/l MRITV again, but it takes forever to open up a photo with it.11doh.gif

My Gear

Fisher-Advent Audio
    edited May 12, 2006
    Thanks!

It looks like a good photo-enhancer, but I can't find a way in RAWShooter to make it fill my monitor like Windows Picture/Fax Viewer, can. And of course my NEFs won't open in WPFV, nor can I make my NEFs become my wallpaper... only if they're in JPEG.umph.gif

If there's nothing out there better than the Microsoft RAW Image Thumbnailer/Viewer, then I'll have to d/l MRITV again, but it takes forever to open up a photo with it.11doh.gif

OK First, no matter how much you may wish it to be, RAW is not JPEG. You must convert a RAW image to JPEG to make it useful for things like screensavers and viewing on the web. In order to view your NEF as wallpaper, or in WPFV, they must be converted. And from the other thread, not all tools do RAW conversion ie. Picasa.

RSE (Raw Shooter Essentials) is a RAW converter. It will also make your NEFs fill the screen, within RSE itself. Simply click the screenshow icon at the top, or press Alt+S. If you want it to show on your desktop, simply select the photo, and press Insert. It will convert to JPEG, and create a file with the .jpg ending. Very simple. You can even adjust settings like white balance and exposure before converting. RSE is your friend!
    edited May 12, 2006
    Thanks, it does the job now that you have shown me what to click. But, how do ya save a photo that you've just enhanced in RAWShooter? I've cropped one of my photos by 105%. Anymore than that and it becomes very pixelated.

I can't find save anywhere so I can go back and look at it cropped. It remains the original size. I've clicked on everything that I can possibly find on RS and I just don't see a save anywhere. Or do we have to buy the full version to get it to save all the changes that we do?

Thanks!

My Gear

Fisher-Advent Audio
    edited May 12, 2006
    Thanks, it does the job now that you have shown me what to click. But, how do ya save a photo that you've just enhanced in RAWShooter? I've cropped one of my photos by 105%. Anymore than that and it becomes very pixelated.

I can't find save anywhere so I can go back and look at it cropped. It remains the original size. I've clicked on everything that I can possibly find on RS and I just don't see a save anywhere. Or do we have to buy the full version to get it to save all the changes that we do?

Thanks!
    you can not crop in RSE. You can only do RAW adjustments. Remember, the RAW file is essentially your digital negative. When your camera makes a JPEG, what it is doing is camera-internal RAW conversion. This conversion is applying set parameters. By taking RAW to your PC, you are doing this conversion off-camera, giving you full control of the parameters. Crop is not one of these parameters. So, to the right, in the RSE screen, are the parameters you can adjust: exposure, whitebalance, tint, saturation, sharpness, etc:

69234540-M.jpg

To 'save", you convert. in RSE, you set your parameters, then click the "batch queue" button, which is the one that looks like gears with the green 'plus' sign. This adds the photo to the batch. What it does is dependant on what you have set in the tab labelled "Batch Convert". So for JPEG, make sure you have it set to create a JPEG (not a TIFF), and you have defined your output location (default is a folder called Converted).

Another good button to know is F1...Give it a shot, you will understand :):
    edited May 12, 2006
    cmason wrote:
    you can not crop in RSE. You can only do RAW adjustments. Remember, the RAW file is essentially your digital negative. When your camera makes a JPEG, what it is doing is camera-internal RAW conversion. This conversion is applying set parameters. By taking RAW to your PC, you are doing this conversion off-camera, giving you full control of the parameters. Crop is not one of these parameters. So, to the right, in the RSE screen, are the parameters you can adjust: exposure, whitebalance, tint, saturation, sharpness, etc:

69234540-M.jpg

To 'save", you convert. in RSE, you set your parameters, then click the "batch queue" button, which is the one that looks like gears with the green 'plus' sign. This adds the photo to the batch. What it does is dependant on what you have set in the tab labelled "Batch Convert". So for JPEG, make sure you have it set to create a JPEG (not a TIFF), and you have defined your output location (default is a folder called Converted).

Another good button to know is F1...Give it a shot, you will understand :):
    Dang, I had a heck of a time getting back in here. I was gonna say I finally figured it out how to save the RAWs and convert them to JPEGs, right after getting back from a park and looking at my new pictures. I'm just photographically illiterate, but someday I hope to be very good at photography.

Funny how I can change the Start button to say anything I want, (but the more letters, the dumber it'll look). It use to say Genesis.I may change it to Nikon D50.rolleyes1.gif I can set the Recycle Bin's drop-menu to say Rename and/or Delete, (mine says Bio-Hazardous) and even go into the Registry to alter several things, but I have such a hard time with this camera of mine, trying to get beautiful shots like you all get with yours.umph.gif

I have a Hewlett Packard photo-enhancer that does some things that my others don't. Just have to d/l it first. It came with my 3-in-1 printer. I reformatted my HD to rid a lot of internet clutter. Now it runs faster and smoother.

I've mentioned that I have Nikon Capture, but it just doesn't recognize the RAWs, even though it has a RAW button to click on to open them up and view them.umph.gif It's a 15 day trial. If I like it, I may buy it too sometime.

But anyway, I'll just use RAWShooter to convert them to JPEGs, and then use the JPEGs in Nikon Capture to see what it can do for enhancing.

I took some pictures at a park near the river this late-afternoon until sunset. I hope they'll look good even without running them through any editors.

Thanks again.:):

My Gear

Fisher-Advent Audio
    edited May 13, 2006
    What a shame!
    The RAWShooter that I've just d/l yesterday... crashed. It flat out will not open any RAWs nor even JPEGs anymore. Only way to get it to work again is to reformat the HD, (which I've just done late Thursday night)`cos after uninstalling and reinstalling RS, it still won't work. So I'll have to use Nikon Capture for the next 14 days of its trial, until I have time to reformat the HD again, which will be several weeks from now.umph.gif

My Gear