Options

Something you haven't seen before

HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
edited May 17, 2006 in Wildlife
Hi Y'all,

One of my favorite subjects down here in Florida is the limpkin

69185203-O.jpg

The limpkin is a rather unique bird in as much as it is the only member of its family and has no close relatives among other birds. It is almost exclusively found in Florida. You can hear its call here http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/audio/Limpkin.html

I know you're saying so what you have posted limpkin shots before. This limpkin is different because its the parent of 6 of these little ones

69185243-O.jpg

The limpkins favorite food is the apple snail and the parents' time is taken up feeding the young and teaching them the tools of the limpkin trade

Here one the parents has bagged a snail
69185221-O.jpg

The hatchling is a tad excited
69185222-O.jpg

The parent removes the snail from its shell for the hatchling
69185225-O.jpg

Then its chow time for the hatchling while the parent keeps a close eye on the proceedings
69185228-O.jpg

Then its off with the brood looking for more snails
69185231-O.jpg

69185238-O.jpg
Harry
http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"

Comments

• Options
    Action ShooterAction Shooter Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited May 12, 2006
    wow.. really nice work........
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2006
    great set Harry. thumb.gif
  • Options
    riddim_makerriddim_maker Registered Users Posts: 1,835 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2006
    Very sweet! iloveyou.gif Thanks for sharing Harry
    Russ
  • Options
    John SloneJohn Slone Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited May 12, 2006
    Very nice Harry!! Love #2 the little limpkin is cute as a button.

John Slone
    John M. Slone
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2006
    What a marvelous series, Harry! And what cute little limpkins they are!!! :D
  • Options
    fire1035fire1035 Registered Users Posts: 208 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2006
    I love 4 and 5! The baby looks like our little boy when I bring one of those magic bottles into the room. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2006
    wow.. really nice work........

Thank you Andy and thank you for taking the time to comment
    Harry
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2006
    Awahhh they're cute Harry:Dthumb.gifthumb
  • Options
    Yvette MarieYvette Marie Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited May 12, 2006
    Ok.. I have to admit something here and NOW.. I never ever even THOUGHT about photohraphing birds.. always saw birds as booooring..

uh,

I stand corrected! these would make a great childrens story.. or spread in a kids magazine.. you realise that, dontcha? The green is so green and the blue is so blue!

Im so impressed!

Yvette
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited May 12, 2006
    I'm blown away by these shots. All very nice! And different from your
    usual stuff.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    jeff lapointjeff lapoint Registered Users Posts: 1,228 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2006
    ian408 wrote:
    usual stuff.

15524779-Ti.gif

Lets see here...Rare birds: check

Technically proficient shot: check

Composition showing said proficiently shot rare bird during its daily struggle for survival: check

So, pretty much SOP for you Harryne_nau.gif

Another wonderful series!

-j
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2006
    Khaos wrote:
    great set Harry. thumb.gif

Thank you very much.
    Harry
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2006
    Harry I think you're loseing your edge. It's one thing to post shots of ugly Egret chicks but to start posting cute fuzzy baby pics. What's next puppy shots? rolleyes1.gif

Great behavior shots of the mom feeding the babies.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    tsiyatsiya Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited May 12, 2006
    Just simply excellent!
    These images are a joy to see!
  • Options
    wolfieswolfies Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2006
    These are great I especially like the shots with the snails
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2006
    bowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gif
  • Options
    edited May 13, 2006
    Very sweet! iloveyou.gif Thanks for sharing Harry

Thanks Russ. I've been shooting limpkins for over two years now and this is the first time I've seen their chicks so it was a thrill.
    Harry
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited May 13, 2006
    I'm always impressed by the BS (Bird Shooters)-

it's one thing to get great photos-

and it's another thing to have a neat story line with your pictures-

but to have both!?!-

just a neat, excellent thread-

george
  • Options
    edited May 13, 2006
    John Slone wrote:
    Very nice Harry!! Love #2 the little limpkin is cute as a button.

John Slone

Thanks John. Those little ones are cute. It is interesting that they start foraging from the moment they leave the shell.
    Harry
  • Options
    BodleyBodley Registered Users Posts: 766 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2006
    Harryb,

Love the shots but......

At the risk of getting stoned by the populace might I humbly offer a suggestion. De-saturate the yellow and hue to give the grass more of a green tone and less in-your-face.

Granted I'm out of my realm with this comment - so if the suggestion is totally bogus please straighten me out.
    Greg
    "Tis better keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
  • Options
    edited May 13, 2006
    saurora wrote:
    What a marvelous series, Harry! And what cute little limpkins they are!!! :D

Thanks and these chicks start the cute season at the wtelands. The black-bellied whistling ducks have returned and we should have some ducklings before too long.
    Harry
  • Options
    R JohnsR Johns Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2006
    Unbelieveable...
    Harry,

I love these pics! You certainly have mastered your talent... bowdown.gif

Get these published!!!

Russ
    By Grace, alone...
  • Options
    edited May 13, 2006
    fire1035 wrote:
    I love 4 and 5! The baby looks like our little boy when I bring one of those magic bottles into the room. rolleyes1.gif

Thanks, very oftten I see behavior in my subjects that reminds me of similar behaviors among folks I know:D
    Harry
  • Options
    edited May 13, 2006
    Bodley wrote:
    Harryb,

Love the shots but......

At the risk of getting stoned by the populace might I humbly offer a suggestion. De-saturate the yellow and hue to give the grass more of a green tone and less in-your-face.

Granted I'm out of my realm with this comment - so if the suggestion is totally bogus please straighten me out.

Guess I ruffled some feathers :D
    Greg
    "Tis better keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
  • Options
    edited May 13, 2006
    Bodley wrote:
    Guess I ruffled some feathers :D

Not at all. You brought up an excellent point and one that I hassled with in my post work. I was shooting dark subjects against a lighter background in very harsh light. The initial shots had many blown out areas in the leaves where the sun was reflecting off them. I culled a goodly number of shots because of that.

I didn't increase the saturation of the colors in the post work. When I knocked down the saturation the limpkins didn't stand out as well as in the shots where I didn't adjust the saturation. I also tried to do a layer mask and knock down the exposure on the background with the same less than satisfactory results. In the end I decided that it was better to have the brighter and more saturated background with the subjects standing out better.

I hope to return to these shots when I have more time to spend on the post work and see if I can improve them.
    Harry
  • Options
    edited May 13, 2006
    Thusie wrote:
    Awahhh they're cute Harry:Dthumb.gifthumb

Thank you Thusie. I just knew you would pick up on the cute angle. biggrinbounce2.gif
    Harry
  • Options
    edited May 13, 2006
    Ok.. I have to admit something here and NOW.. I never ever even THOUGHT about photohraphing birds.. always saw birds as booooring..

eek7.gif :uhoh :yikes :jawdrop

:lol4

uh,

I stand corrected! these would make a great children's story.. or spread in a kids magazine.. you realise that, dontcha? The green is so green and the blue is so blue!

Im so impressed!

Thank you so much Yvette. A number of folks have relayed their children's reactions to these pics to me. My granddaughters really liked them too. I think the theme of parents teaching and nurturing their young strikes a very responsive chord. March of the Pelicans was a very successful documentary film about a similar topic.
    Harry
  • Options
    edited May 13, 2006

Yvette

I've tried on a couple of occasions and thought it was fun. Not much different than hunting in theory (sneaking through the woods or staking out a good spot) except for the harvest.

Unfortunately my equipment was more like a bow when I needed a rifle.
    Greg
  • Options
    gildcogildco Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2006
    Wonderful series, Harry. Momma really keeps an eye out for the brood. Your close-up of the baby chick is superb. And, as usual, a fine job overall. I also liked your addition of the sound recording; sounds very similar to my mother-in-law whenever my wife mentions me.:D
    Gil
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2006
    ian408 wrote:
    usual stuff.

Thanks Ian. Every once in awhile I'll bump against the cute line. :D
    Harry