• SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited May 13, 2006
    you bug guys are good-

very neat-

george
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2006
    very nice looks like it is saying something
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Zoom RaiderZoom Raider Registered Users Posts: 317 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2006
    tmlphoto wrote:
    69320851-L.jpg

You must be the King of Macros.icon10.gif

Very detailed shot, especially its red eyes area.

Question: How do all of you that do macros get that black-void background?
    http://mostamazingprophecies.com

My Gear
    Camera: Nikon D50
    Lens: Sigma 18-50mm F3.5-5.6 DC
    Flash: Nikon SB600 SpeedLight
    Vertical Powergrip: Opteka Platinum Series
    Flash Diffuser: Lightsphere II (Clear)

Teleconverter: Quantaray 2x
    Lens Filters: 2 SunPak UV 58mm

Card: Lexar Platinum II 512mb/60x
    Bag: Canon 200DG

Printer: Canon PIXMA iP6700D

Fisher-Advent Audio
  • R JohnsR Johns Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2006
    WOW!!! :eek1
    By Grace, alone...
  • tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2006
    gefillmore wrote:
    you bug guys are good-

very neat-

george

Thanks George. Glad you liked it.
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
    edited May 13, 2006
    very nice looks like it is saying something

Thankyou Awais, your comments are always appreciated.

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
    edited May 13, 2006
    You must be the King of Macros.icon10.gif

Very detailed shot, especially its red eyes area.

Question: How do all of you that do macros get that black-void background?

Thanks Zoom, the black background is a "side effect" of using such a small aperture that even daylight lit objects are black. Only objects that are illuminated with the flash show up. Try taking a pic at ISO 100 f/11 1/125, your image will be completely black. It is a good technique to simplify the background. Some folks use a second flash to light the background. The other option is to use a tripod with a slow enough shutter speed to get the proper exposure. This will give a more natural background, but any motion will ruin the picture.

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Zoom RaiderZoom Raider Registered Users Posts: 317 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2006
    tmlphoto wrote:
    Thanks Zoom, the black background is a "side effect" of using such a small aperture that even daylight lit objects are black. Only objects that are illuminated with the flash show up. Try taking a pic at ISO 100 f/11 1/125, your image will be completely black. It is a good technique to simplify the background. Some folks use a second flash to light the background. The other option is to use a tripod with a slow enough shutter speed to get the proper exposure. This will give a more natural background, but any motion will ruin the picture.

You're welcome!

All that sounds neat. But I don't think I can get an ISO of 100 while it's in A, M, P or S. Just 200, 400, 800 and 1600 in those settings. Other ISO numbers can be just about anything if I set the camera on the other settings, such as Auto.

I have no idea how to get an aperture of F11 unless it's on any setting except for A, M, P and S. While in Auto or the other regular settings, I've seen it at ISO 100 (or even 50... I think) and as high as an F10.

Could I get a picture that large and sharp/vivid with a 50mm F1.4 lens (which is the next lens I'd like to try out)... or did you crop and enhance all of your macros? All I have is an 18-50mm and 70-300mm and one 2x teleconverter and no extension tubes yet. I'm still working on getting a Lighsphere... Clear or Cloud. Just haven't decided yet. I've heard the LS is great for macros, as well as portraits and just about anything else.
    http://mostamazingprophecies.com

My Gear
    Camera: Nikon D50
    Lens: Sigma 18-50mm F3.5-5.6 DC
    Flash: Nikon SB600 SpeedLight
    Vertical Powergrip: Opteka Platinum Series
    Flash Diffuser: Lightsphere II (Clear)

Teleconverter: Quantaray 2x
    Lens Filters: 2 SunPak UV 58mm

Card: Lexar Platinum II 512mb/60x
    Bag: Canon 200DG

Printer: Canon PIXMA iP6700D

Fisher-Advent Audio
    edited May 13, 2006
    You're welcome!

All that sounds neat. But I don't think I can get an ISO of 100 while it's in A, M, P or S. Just 200, 400, 800 and 1600 in those settings. Other ISO numbers can be just about anything if I set the camera on the other settings, such as Auto.

I have no idea how to get an aperture of F11 unless it's on any setting except for A, M, P and S. While in Auto or the other regular settings, I've seen it at ISO 100 (or even 50... I think) and as high as an F10.

Could I get a picture that large and sharp/vivid with a 50mm F1.4 lens (which is the next lens I'd like to try out)... or did you crop and enhance all of your macros? All I have is an 18-50mm and 70-300mm and one 2x teleconverter and no extension tubes yet. I'm still working on getting a Lighsphere... Clear or Cloud. Just haven't decided yet. I've heard the LS is great for macros, as well as portraits and just about anything else.

You have to be in Manual mode to set both the f/stop and shutter speed as I described.

The 50mm is a sweet lens, but you are not going to really get macro shots unless you mount it to extension tubes, preferably reversed, which is another discussion all together. I am using a 100 2.8 macro lens which also doubles as a very nice portrait lens, especially on a 1.3 or 1.6 cropped sensor. I use Kenko extension tubes in order focus more closely. The shot above is only slightly cropped. Hope this helps.

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • RaffRaff Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited May 14, 2006
    tmlphoto wrote:
    Cool shot. Did you know that a dragonfly's life span is only 24 hours? I read it on a cheese wrapper. Was this one alive?
    Anything can and usually does happen. Raff
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2006
    Wonderful Dragonfly closeup Thomas- Just love the eyes :). Was this with a twin flash setup?
    Brian V.
    edited May 14, 2006
    Raff wrote:
    Cool shot. Did you know that a dragonfly's life span is only 24 hours? I read it on a cheese wrapper. Was this one alive?

Yes, it was alive.

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
    edited May 14, 2006
    Wonderful Dragonfly closeup Thomas- Just love the eyes :). Was this with a twin flash setup?
    Brian V.

Thanks LV. Yes, it was with the twin flash. I moved my main light to the right side and have been adjusting the postions a little bit.

I think that the larger flashes may work better than the dedicated macro flashes, but they sure are heavier.

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com