Balanchine's Serenade at Boston Ballet

ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
edited May 15, 2006 in People
Here are a few shots from the dress rehearsal (Wednesday night) of Boston Ballet's performance of Balanchine's Serenade. This is one of the most beautiful and romantic ballets of all time and the production running for the next couple of weeks (with Carmen) is right on the mark. I have tons more shots. I'm still working on the Carmen shots as the light was very difficult. I'll post as I have them.

Except as noted, all are Canon 5D / 135mm f/2.0 @ 1600 ISO

69321531-L.jpg
Tai Jimenez
1/500th

69321630-L.jpg
Melanie Atkins, Tai Jimenez, Company Dancers
1/400th

69321767-L.jpg
Melanie Atkins, Tai Jimenez, Company Dancers
1/400th

69321831-L.jpg
Lorna Fiejoo
1/640 @ f2.2
If not now, when?

Comments

• Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2006
    wow excellent captures and what a performance ! iloveyou.gifiloveyou.gifthumb.gif

i read some where a tutorial to add motion blur in legs with photoshop they used same subject
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited May 13, 2006
    very nice!-

especially considering the way the temp usually comes out on this type of photo-

you've probably mentioned it, but do you have someone that's in the ballet or works on the set or are you their photographer?--

george
  • HeldDownHeldDown Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2006
    I feel bad for any girl having to dance a Balanchine piece.

You know, working for the Washington Ballet, you'd think I'd get sick of it, but -- nice shots ;)
    imageNATION
    SEEING THE WORLD IN A WHOLE NEW LIGHT...
    http://www.imag-e-nation.net
  • mereimagemereimage Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2006
    Beautiful shots of beautiful and talented dancers......................Mereimage
  • DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2006
    i love your ballet images rutt, but #2 is outstandingthumb.gif
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2006
    Beautiful, John. What a terrific project. I especially like the pattern in the second shot. You've really mastered the lighting, I see. How's the autofocus performing on the 5D?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • wingerwinger Registered Users Posts: 694 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2006
    rutt wrote:

69321630-L.jpg

I love this shot.
    I love the way the dancers are staggered like that.
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2006
    Thanks, everyone. This ballet is beautifully lit (as are all Boston Ballet performances, but this was also pretty bright.) Balanchine did a lot of the composition work for me when he choreographed. The dancers devote their lives to realizing these works on stage, accepting very short and low paying careers out of love of ballet. I've put in some time on this project this year, but there is no comparison. I'm just a fan and a newly converted one at that. If I can manage to convey a little of what is actually presented it's great. Really, with ballet at this level, the job is just not to lose the beauty before you.
    If not now, when?
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    Beautiful, John. What a terrific project. I especially like the pattern in the second shot. You've really mastered the lighting, I see. How's the autofocus performing on the 5D?

Thanks, Sid. 5D autofocus and exposure is really no match for 1 series, but that really just means you have to do more work yourself, manual exposure and AE Locking. More focus recompose. I've gotten the hang of it OK. My 1DMKII just doesn't shoot clean enough in this low light, sadly.
    If not now, when?
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited May 15, 2006
    rutt wrote:
    Thanks, everyone. This ballet is beautifully lit (as are all Boston Ballet performances, but this was also pretty bright.) Balanchine did a lot of the composition work for me when he choreographed. The dancers devote their lives to realizing these works on stage, accepting very short and low paying careers out of love of ballet. I've put in some time on this project this year, but there is no comparison. I'm just a fan and a newly converted one at that. If I can manage to convey a little of what is actually presented it's great. Really, with ballet at this level, the job is just not to lose the beauty before you.

I have to believe that you're doing a fantastic job of passing on that beauty-

btw, the symmetry that the dancers have obtained in pic 3 is unbelievable!-

george
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2006
    rutt wrote:
    Thanks, Sid. 5D autofocus and exposure is really no match for 1 series, but that really just means you have to do more work yourself, manual exposure and AE Locking. More focus recompose. I've gotten the hang of it OK. My 1DMKII just doesn't shoot clean enough in this low light, sadly.
    Thanks John. I'd been wondering. The camera makes great files. But even in studio lighting I had trouble with the autofocus. You've done a terrific job.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • leebaseleebase Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2006
    Fantastic!

Lee