RSS/Atom/Photofeed Screensaver?

wellmanwellman Registered Users Posts: 961 Major grins
edited March 1, 2007 in SmugMug Support
Is anyone aware of a screensaver that can take an RSS feed as its photo source? I'd like to give my grandmother a self-updating screensaver, and I'd also like to not download galleries full of images myself. :):

Her machine is running WinXP. A Google search turned up some info (JT, actually) saying Apple does this, and I found a WinXP alpha app that required IE7 beta. This is my grandmother we're talking about, so installing IE7 beta is NOT an option.

Any help would be awesome. Thanks!
-Greg

Comments

• PunchPunch Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited March 1, 2007
    Any answer?
    Did you ever get an answer to this?

I just did a search and found this: http://blog.debin.net/Media-feed-screen-saver/ which has been mentioned elsewhere. It works pretty good as long as you specify the size you want. On the down-side for me, since Smugmug doesn't allow RSS feeds from private or password protected galleries, all these pictures need to be open to the world.

I've written a .Net screensaver that retrieves photos from a Web Service. It was based on the Microsoft .Net example. I could offer that source code that could perhaps be coupled with your Albumn Downloader to do something a bit more flexible.

One nuance that I do know needs to be paid attention to is bandwidth usage. My mother-in-law only has dial-up. In this case, you need to artificially throttle the image downloading in the code and also try to be smart about what gets downloaded.

The Media Feed Screensaver is pretty good except for the Smugmug public requirement. It also doesn't handle multiple monitors -- but that's not a big deal for me.

--Todd