smugmug down??

rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
edited May 15, 2006 in SmugMug Support
Currently all sites I tried redirect to smugmug.com, browse shows anything and there are zero communities. :dunno
It looks like my site doesn't exist. Where's the page notifing the user that there's currently a problem and you're working on it?

Sebastian
Sebastian
SmugMug Support Hero

Comments

• DennisDennis Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited May 13, 2006
    Down
    Currently all sites I tried redirect to smugmug.com, browse shows anything and there are zero communities. ne_nau.gif

Sebastian
    Yep... went down for me just after 4 PM CST.
  • Mac WriteMac Write Registered Users Posts: 208 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2006
    Same for me was trying to watch "London Vision." I thought it was my Internet connection so rebooted modem and router. Curried it for like 20 photos then crapped out again.
    My Photos | Use this referral code and get $5 off your first year of Smugmug! PIKZSgEQUVtu2 or just click here
    Get busy living or get busy dying
    --Stephen King
  • rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2006
    Okay, it's back. clap.gif

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • WirelessWireless Registered Users Posts: 162 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2006
    Where's the page notifing the user that there's currently a problem and you're working on it?
    If the web cluster is down, this isn't going to be possible. ;)

I didn't get paged for anything (bumming around SF today generally offline unless called), so it was probably a bad webserver that didn't get cycled out fast enough. I'll take a look at the logs later, sorry for any inconvenience.

One thing to note, though, is that two of our providers (one of which isn't handling a lot of traffic for us anyway at the moment) is having some latency issues. I haven't heard back on the status, but they are working on it.
  • rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2006
    Wireless wrote:
    If the web cluster is down, this isn't going to be possible. ;)

I didn't get paged for anything (bumming around SF today generally offline unless called), so it was probably a bad webserver that didn't get cycled out fast enough. I'll take a look at the logs later, sorry for any inconvenience.
    Thanks for the explanation - one of the things I love about smugmug!
    Guess someone was having an afternoon nap where 15min aren't much. :D

So the smugmug main page is separated from the actual user pages with the data?

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • WirelessWireless Registered Users Posts: 162 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2006
    Thanks for the explanation - one of the things I love about smugmug!
    Guess someone was having an afternoon nap where 15min aren't much. :D

So the smugmug main page is separated from the actual user pages with the data?

Sebastian
    Without getting into too much detail, we do partition out machine functions where it makes sense into various clusters, etc. In the sense of where the main page vs. user pages live, they happen to be within the same server farm. We obviously have a database backend, so if a call to the database didn't successfully complete, a wierd page may have been rendered.

I was just speculating that something might have gotten wedged at the right place and time (i.e. webserver in agony starts to get really bad, but before the load balancers catch it and remove it from service). The window of opportunity for something like this to happen is typically really small, quick enough to avoid detection except for the lucky few.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2006
    Wireless wrote:
    quick enough to avoid detection except for the lucky few.

rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif