Baseball pics need help!

JnicholsJnichols Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
edited May 14, 2006 in Sports
Baseball pics are all new to me! My husband is on a competative men's league and I am having problems with the fence being in the pictures! How do you get pics without the fence showing in the pictures. I used my 70-300 lens but always got the fence in the pics - those who get clear shots, do you shoot in the dugout? Am I doing something wrong?

Comments

• BodleyBodley Registered Users Posts: 766 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2006
    Jnichols wrote:
    Baseball pics are all new to me! My husband is on a competative men's league and I am having problems with the fence being in the pictures! How do you get pics without the fence showing in the pictures. I used my 70-300 lens but always got the fence in the pics - those who get clear shots, do you shoot in the dugout? Am I doing something wrong?

You need to shoot with your lens almost touching the fence and centered on a diamond. Best if you have a uv filter or hood mounted just in case you bump the fence so your front element will not get scratched.

Dugout is an option you can also carry a ladder to shoot over the fence if your not tall enough.
    Greg
    "Tis better keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
  • MinerMiner Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited May 14, 2006
    Could you would post a example. Are you shooting through the fence?
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited May 14, 2006
    Jnichols wrote:

Best if you can get on the field and shoot either from the field or a photo
    well. If you can get right up to the fence, you might be able to shoot through
    it (you will more than likely want to MF too). You might check the sidelines.
    If there's a camera platform, you might be able to shoot from there.

Not sure about the rules but generally, only players are allowed in the dugouts
    (that's the way it is in our softball league).

You may need permission to shoot from the field.

Good luck!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2006
    Depending on the height of the fences you may be able to get over them. At my son's games I take a bucket, flip it over and stand on it and can get my lens nicely over the top. There are even a few places I can get over the fence without the bucket, but that's pretty much on tip-toe and not very steady.

And sometimes you just get close to the fence and deal with it.

icon_pirate.gif