Video Format Question

mk12345mk12345 Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
edited May 15, 2006 in SmugMug Support
I read thru http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=19464, and am interested in using ourmedia.org or smiliar, but still have unanswered questions about videos.

My digital camera creates .avi files that are very sharp, but also very large. What is the "best" format for me to cnvert to prior to uploading to a site like ourmedia.org, so that they don't take so long for the user to download, but still are sharp? Also, will the user need to wait for the entire download, or is there a way to stream it? I'm open to any type of solution here, as I don't think the size limit on smugmug will suit me.

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2006
    I moved your post so that folks who know external video sources will perhaps see it :)
  • DodgeV83DodgeV83 Registered Users Posts: 379 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2006
    Do you have a PC? If so, I'd recommend WMV and Windows Media Encoder. How long is the video? What resolution is it? The two common resolutions are 320x240 and 640x480.

Let me know the specifics of the video you are trying to post. Maybe Smugmug and MPEG-1 will do...only if you have a Pro account though. The Ourmedia and Archive.org servers are really slow, I tried to use them but they were too slow for me.
  • mk12345mk12345 Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited May 15, 2006
    I have a PC, my videos are up to two minutes in length, 640x480. Right now, I have a Power account. Please let me know if upgrading to Pro would help me out, or what other ways to try. Thanks
    DodgeV83 wrote:
    Do you have a PC? If so, I'd recommend WMV and Windows Media Encoder. How long is the video? What resolution is it? The two common resolutions are 320x240 and 640x480.

Let me know the specifics of the video you are trying to post. Maybe Smugmug and MPEG-1 will do...only if you have a Pro account though. The Ourmedia and Archive.org servers are really slow, I tried to use them but they were too slow for me.
  • DodgeV83DodgeV83 Registered Users Posts: 379 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2006
    mk12345 wrote:
    I have a PC, my videos are up to two minutes in length, 640x480. Right now, I have a Power account. Please let me know if upgrading to Pro would help me out, or what other ways to try. Thanks

Using this bitrate calculator

http://www.3ivx.com/support/calculator/index.html

and keeping in mind that you have an 8mb limit with your power account, you can use a video bitrate of 500k and an audio bitrate of 32k and stay under the limit with a 2 minute video. At 500k and MPEG-1 I would recommend changing the resolution to 320x240. This is if you use Smugmug. If you end up using Archive.org and WMV, you can set the bitrate to 1000k and you will probably be happy with the results.

If you use Smugmug and MPEG-1, the video will play immediatly for the user since Smugmug's server is so fast, but the quality won't be as good. If you use Archive.org and WMV, the quality will be much better, but the download speed will be very slow. I recommend you try them both out and see what you prefer.

I use TMPGenc (sp?) for my Mpeg-1 encoding, the FX program that Smugmug links to is easier to use though.