Something new from me

gsgarygsgary Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
edited May 16, 2006 in Sports
I went with my girlfriend to Chatsworth SsongYong International Horse Trials today had a great time shooting the best Eventers in the world as it is the 11th round of the World Cup
C+C welcome

69528617-M.jpg

69528623-M.jpg

69528723-M.jpg

69528747-M.jpg

69528708-M.jpg

69528776-M.jpg

69528788-M.jpg

69528808-M.jpg

The advice i have recieved on here is starting to pay off

Comments

• Dave LeeDave Lee Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited May 14, 2006
    Very nice. I really like #'s 1,4,6 & 7
    =====================
    davidleephoto.smugmug.com
  • gsgarygsgary Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2006
    Dave Lee wrote:
    Very nice. I really like #'s 1,4,6 & 7

Thank's Davethumb.gif
  • tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2006
    These look very good. It looks like your choice of shutter speed and aperture were perfect. It's not easy to get both the horse & rider in focus and still have a blurred background. You did very well.
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • CookieSCookieS Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2006
    Some very Nice shsots !! when doing jump shots you can sometimes focus on the front of the jump , so when they are over it the front of the horse in in focus. or Landing shots ty to keep the feet in ;) . Nice Clarity. and the expression on #2s face, Cool
    edited May 15, 2006
    tmlphoto wrote:
    These look very good. It looks like your choice of shutter speed and aperture were perfect. It's not easy to get both the horse & rider in focus and still have a blurred background. You did very well.

Thank's Thomas
    Positive comments from you means a lot after seing some of your shots much appreciated
    edited May 15, 2006
    CookieS wrote:
    Some very Nice shsots !! when doing jump shots you can sometimes focus on the front of the jump , so when they are over it the front of the horse in in focus. or Landing shots ty to keep the feet in ;) . Nice Clarity. and the expression on #2s face, Cool

Thank's CookieSthumb.gif
  • adrian_kadrian_k Registered Users Posts: 557 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2006
    Gary
    The whole smugmug gallery is pretty good - looks like you got a good hit rate.

Looking through your EXIFs there's a wide range of settings - were you shooting manual?
    gsgary wrote:
    I went with my girlfriend to Chatsworth SsongYong International Horse Trials today had a great time shooting the best Eventers in the world as it is the 11th round of the World Cup
    C+C welcome

The advice i have recieved on here is starting to pay off
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Adrian
    my stuff is here.....
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited May 15, 2006
    And I thought all you could do was bikes! lol3.gif

some good framing there Gary - if you're an admitted newcomer to this sport, you did well in picking up the right kind of action quickly.
    thumb.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

edited May 15, 2006
    adrian_k wrote:
    Gary
    The whole smugmug gallery is pretty good - looks like you got a good hit rate.

Looking through your EXIFs there's a wide range of settings - were you shooting manual?

Thank's Adrian
    First off i was shooting AV but got talking to a pro who was a great help
    so i started shooting manual every time a white horse or someone wearing a lot of white he told me i needed to change settings to avoid whites blowing out, he also told me to meter off the grass which worked a treat
    edited May 15, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    And I thought all you could do was bikes! lol3.gif

some good framing there Gary - if you're an admitted newcomer to this sport, you did well in picking up the right kind of action quickly.
    thumb.gif

Thank's Erik, this was my first time at this sport and will not be the last it was a blast,
    What about my rugby shots i'm not doing bad at them, i'll give you only bikes :D
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited May 15, 2006
    gsgary wrote:
    Thank's Erik, this was my first time at this sport and will not be the last it was a blast,
    What about my rugby shots i'm not doing bad at them, i'll give you only bikes :D
    wave.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited May 16, 2006
    High quality
    Really nice shots:

#1 horse & rider both have lovely expression
    #2 The rider's eyes say it all!

Also really liked #8 - quintessential eventing shot with the eager horse, loving his job, splashing water, with a bit of reflection in the still area.

(only oops is as CookieS points out, cutting the horse in #7, but still, you caught the rider's expression and the really tight hind end as the horse works to clear the fence.)

Great work!
  • IronhorseIronhorse Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited May 16, 2006
    Nicely done, Gary. The entire gallery on your website came out very well. Those events are a great deal of fun to shoot.
    Regards,

Joe
    edited May 16, 2006
    KaMo wrote:
    Really nice shots:

#1 horse & rider both have lovely expression
    #2 The rider's eyes say it all!

Also really liked #8 - quintessential eventing shot with the eager horse, loving his job, splashing water, with a bit of reflection in the still area.

(only oops is as CookieS points out, cutting the horse in #7, but still, you caught the rider's expression and the really tight hind end as the horse works to clear the fence.)

Great work!

Thank's KaMo, i think i cropped #7 and did a bad job there wer a lot of people to the left but i wanted the photographer in
    edited May 16, 2006
    Ironhorse wrote:
    Nicely done, Gary. The entire gallery on your website came out very well. Those events are a great deal of fun to shoot.

Yes it was good fun i used the 200mmF2.8L for most shots, thanks for looking through the gallery