model release forms

kerryfrederickkerryfrederick Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited July 26, 2006 in Cameras
i am currently trying to get my web site and my portfolio up to snuff and i found some pics i took many many years ago and i need to know if there is a time limit on how many years go by before i don't need a model release form. its been almost 10 years now.

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2004
    what's the intended purpose of your displaying the shots on your website? what are the models doing? what sort of shots are they?
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2004
    The short answer is no. No time limit. If they're recognizable, and you're using their image in a commercial endeavor, they need to give you permission.

I know lots of folks skate around it. But the law is pretty unambiguous about it. What you describe isn't covered by any of the exceptions.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • kerryfrederickkerryfrederick Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited October 29, 2004
    i am using the pics for a gallery page. a few of the pictures the faces are real dark but since they are black and white i intended it to be like that. and the others are some skateboarding shots and it is real hard to see the face on that one.
  • RECREC Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited October 29, 2004
    Question
    Suppose you are just posting to your own non commercial Smugmug site?
    Things like people in street scenes, spectators in crowds, etc?
    Just because you want to share your pictures with others.
    edited October 29, 2004
    i am using the pics for a gallery page. a few of the pictures the faces are real dark but since they are black and white i intended it to be like that. and the others are some skateboarding shots and it is real hard to see the face on that one.

Is that a hobby page?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • MaynardMaynard Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited October 30, 2004
    I know in canada there is no time limit, but if the pics are for display on your personal web site no model release is needed, if the pic's are for sale, or for distrubtion a release is needed, if the faces are not reconizable no release is needed.

I hope this helps.
    Maynard
  • lambadlambad Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited November 8, 2004
    Would anyone know where I can find samples of release/consent forms? My purpose would be mostly just hobby, but you never know -- might someday snap some people pictures that I may someday want to submit for show, or for sale even..... thanks.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2004
    model releases (link)
    lambad wrote:
    Would anyone know where I can find samples of release/consent forms? My purpose would be mostly just hobby, but you never know -- might someday snap some people pictures that I may someday want to submit for show, or for sale even..... thanks.

try the nppa site you can find some here.
    edited November 8, 2004
    Thanks!
  • landrumlandrum Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2004
    lambad wrote:
    Get the book "Business and Legal Forms for Photographers" from Allworth Press. I think you can find it on Overstock.com, otherwise Amazon.com has it. It has 31 different forms with full explination of what and when to use them. It also comes with a CD of all the forms in various formats so it's easy to customize them. It's a great resource.thumb.gif
    Laurie :smooch

www.PhotoByLaurie.com
    edited November 8, 2004
    I will -- thank you.
  • BrettBrett Registered Users Posts: 218 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2005
    In what situations would a release form be needed?
    Challenge 26 Winner "In Your House" :deal
    edited January 24, 2005
    Brett wrote:
    In what situations would a release form be needed?
    If you shoot someone, they're recognizable in your photo, and you sell your photograph. They need to give their consent.
    Sid.
  • BrettBrett Registered Users Posts: 218 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2005
    So, let's say I take a skateboarding photo and a local skateshop wants to buy if and display it at the store, I would need consent from the subject (skater) to sell the photo? And are they intitled to some of the earnings?
    Challenge 26 Winner "In Your House" :deal
    edited January 24, 2005
    Brett wrote:
    So, let's say I take a skateboarding photo and a local skateshop wants to buy if and display it at the store, I would need consent from the subject (skater) to sell the photo? And are they intitled to some of the earnings?
    Yes to your first question - that's their legal right.

The answer to your second question is: depends on what agreement they sign. There's no law that says they have to be paid, only that they have to give their consent for their likeness to be used. If you're good with your people skills, I'm sure you could get some folks to sign without payment.
    Sid.
  • luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2005
    You can always photochop until the person is not recognizable. Model releases can be intimidating to some people because it is a legal document. Give them $1 and promise to send them a tear sheet and you're ahead of the game.
  • KalamataKalamata Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited February 20, 2005
    An example, a rider from the UK did a extensive bike trip around the US and parts of Canada last Summer took heaps of pictures posted them to a M/C forum (advrider) that has a world wide audience. I know he asked permission to take and post, but should he have gotten written permission.
    Cheers, Ed
  • DixieDixie Registered Users Posts: 1,497 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    The short answer is no. No time limit. If they're recognizable, and you're using their image in a commercial endeavor, they need to give you permission.

I know lots of folks skate around it. But the law is pretty unambiguous about it. What you describe isn't covered by any of the exceptions.
    Legally, you need a release for any public display of photographs of people whether it is a commercial enterprise or not unless the photo was taken in a public place where there was no reasonable expectation of privacy. There have been several notable court cases on photos taken in public at Mardi Gras and posted on the web. The person in the photo lost in every case as they had no reasonable expectation of privacy since they were baring their soul, among other things, in a public area.

However, if a photo of a person is used in a non-commercial endeavor and not in an embarrassing manner then there usually isn't a problem.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
    | Canon 1Ds | Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 5D | Canon 50D | Canon 10D | Canon EOS Elan 7 | Mamiya Pro S RB67 |
    ...and bunches of Canon lenses - I'm equipment rich and dollar poor!
  • iyacyasiyacyas Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited July 26, 2006
    Going back to the question of if you shoot a group of employees based on an agreement/contract with an employer, the following link may shed some direct insight

http://www.nppa.org/professional_development/business_practices/copyright.html

Specifically, the statement of "Copyright belongs to the creator the moment an image is made. If you are an employee, your employer is considered the creator while you are working"

(yes, old thread I'm replying too but, I am exploring the same types of questions now and proving to someone down the road I queried the archives mwink.gif)