Backfocus...

CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
edited May 14, 2006 in Cameras
I've been having a great time with my new 30D but recently have seen a trend of backfocusing with my 70-200 f/4 L lens. I tried shooting some test shots over the weekend by placing several objects in the viewfinder, each an inch or so further back from the one next to it. It is noticable at f/4 - the point of sharpest focus seems to be ~ 1-2 inches behind the area where I focused. I've confirmed focus points in Zoombrowser.
Because it's not THAT far off, it has only been a problem at below f/5.6 or so. From reading on other boards, it seems this lens has a history of backfocus problems and I'm thinking about sending it in for calibration.
I'm at work right now and won't be home until morning - I can post some samples then. Note, I do not experience any problems with my 50mm f/1.8, my 100mm EF macro, or my (borrowed) 17-85 EF-S IS lens.
My questions are:
1) Does what I'm describing warrant calibration or is it within acceptable limits?
2) Regarding calibration, I've heard conflicting advice regarding whether or not the camera should also be sent in for calibration as well (I recognize that lenses and camras are calibrated independently to standards and not to each other).
3) Assuming I send it in, does it matter if I send it to Jamesburg, NJ or Irvine, CA? Is turnaround faster at one? I live in Kansas City so both are just over 1,000 miles from me..
4) Any idea what typical turnaround time is?

I just want my most expensive lens to focus as accurately as my $80 50mm... :dunno

Cameron

Comments

• Bob BellBob Bell Registered Users Posts: 598 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2006
    CSwinton wrote:
    I've been having a great time with my new 30D but recently have seen a trend of backfocusing with my 70-200 f/4 L lens. I tried shooting some test shots over the weekend by placing several objects in the viewfinder, each an inch or so further back from the one next to it. It is noticable at f/4 - the point of sharpest focus seems to be ~ 1-2 inches behind the area where I focused. I've confirmed focus points in Zoombrowser.
    Because it's not THAT far off, it has only been a problem at below f/5.6 or so. From reading on other boards, it seems this lens has a history of backfocus problems and I'm thinking about sending it in for calibration.
    I'm at work right now and won't be home until morning - I can post some samples then. Note, I do not experience any problems with my 50mm f/1.8, my 100mm EF macro, or my (borrowed) 17-85 EF-S IS lens.
    My questions are:
    1) Does what I'm describing warrant calibration or is it within acceptable limits?
    2) Regarding calibration, I've heard conflicting advice regarding whether or not the camera should also be sent in for calibration as well (I recognize that lenses and camras are calibrated independently to standards and not to each other).
    3) Assuming I send it in, does it matter if I send it to Jamesburg, NJ or Irvine, CA? Is turnaround faster at one? I live in Kansas City so both are just over 1,000 miles from me..
    4) Any idea what typical turnaround time is?

I just want my most expensive lens to focus as accurately as my $80 50mm... ne_nau.gif

Cameron

That doesnt sound like a back focusing problem. If it was that issue, it should do the same thing at all focal lengths. 1-2 inches is so significant that it should be out at all FL's. I guess your DoF could be masking it at longer focal lengths.

Don't use the 45 degree test they can be way off on a good lens. Use a stuffed animal for the test. Make sure you are using a tripod and not moving things around or changing light conditions.

They bench test your lens. Some people calibrate lens to body but I have 8-9 lenses and I wouldnt send them all in.

I have heard good and bad from both sites.

I think non CPS turn around is around 2 weeks in the US and 3 weeks in Canada.
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
  • CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2006
    Bob - It does it at 70mm and 200mm when the aperture is, say f/11 the DOF is large and you don't notice it.

I didn't use the 45 degree test.. the stuffed animal sounds like a good idea. I'll try to post samples in the morning when I get home. Thanks for the reply
  • Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2006
    If it continues to back focus I would send it in, even if it is a little bit. You paid good money for that lens, you deserve to have a good lens without focusing problems. I have the same lens and I do not have any focusing problems (that I have seen so far.)
    -Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.