My first attempt at motocross.

CookieSCookieS Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
edited May 17, 2006 in Sports
http://www.pbase.com/foxpony/hard_rock_ocala_&page=1

here are a few from my debut. just practice, but a few got to fly.

Comments

• CookieSCookieS Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2006
    edited May 14, 2006
    again
    edited May 14, 2006
    last one, Comments and hints welcome ( the other Flight shots are too big, Ill have to change the quality of my proofing system, they print out too good too :uhoh
  • mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2006
    First photo, there is something in the foreground (vertically, along right side, bottom to mid) that is distracting. Second one the trail is way over-exposed. In fact, judging from the shadow on the ground you are shooting into sun and into a shadowed rider. Third one is generally dark and not a lot of detail.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2006
    Cookie-
    First and third one are a bit under exposed (or appear to be on my monitor). My guess is you used center weighted or spot meetering, and due to the bright white number plate and quad body parts, things went dark on you.

You do have to be careful of things getting in the shot that you don't want, such as in number one. The fourth one has the rider cut off, and it doesn't look intentional. I try not to post anything that I am not 100% pleased with, it makes you look better.

Looking at your gallery you had quite a few shots where it looked like you could use more reach....bigger glass. Being too far away makes it hard to identify the rider.

I see you did a lot of PS work too, just be careful not to over do it. You never know what someone else's taste may be, which means you could be spending a lot of time at the PC for nothing. There was a guy that use to do quite a bit of that type of work at the track I shoot at....he ain't there anymorene_nau.gif .

Just keep shooting, try different settings, check the exif and hisrtogram, they will give you the direction you need.

I shoot with my 20D in AI SERVO, usually with my 70-200, sometimes with the 550EX flash, and battery pack. When using the flash (daytime) I will set it to highspeed sync, since I am shooting a burst of shots...otherwise it won't keep up. It seems to get the job done in both sunny and cloudy conditions. That too takes practice. Buy rechargables. Even though the 70-200 is an F2.8, I usually get the best results at F4, especially when the riders is coming at me.

Check out other mx event photog's sites, it will help you with ideas...especially if they list the exif.

Good luck!
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
    edited May 15, 2006
    Thank you all for the tips, Ill try to improve next time. I shot with 80-200 f2.8 and the 80-400 on the nikon, i could put on the 1.4 extender, but It always seems to lose sharpness. Or Ill try to scope out better positions, Now that I kinda know the lay of the track.

*HELP* I have a 20D and cannot find a HIGH speed sync,.???? I only have fiirst cuitain sync and second curtain sync. and i can't shoot with flash at any shutterspeed over 250 without getting black curtain drop on my image. Can you Please be more specific. and i will try to master this next time.

* Try better cropping thru the lens. ( watch foregraound objects.)
    Use my histogram and blown out shots from Flash.
    * jumps , sir and turns.

*Cull proofs more ruthlessly, No over photoshoppong.

Thanks for any help
  • JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2006
    CookieS wrote:
    *HELP* I have a 20D and cannot find a HIGH speed sync,.???? I only have fiirst cuitain sync and second curtain sync. and i can't shoot with flash at any shutterspeed over 250 without getting black curtain drop on my image. Can you Please be more specific. and i will try to master this next time.

What flash are you using with the 20D?
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • xtnomadxtnomad Registered Users Posts: 340 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2006
    MX Shots
    The terrain at some tracks can be a difficult in it self. Try some differant spots and let the shots come to you, It looks like you are chasing the shots. Keep shoting it will just come with pratice.
    xtnomad :wink