Options

What lens??

Barefoot and NaturalBarefoot and Natural Registered Users Posts: 586 Major grins
edited May 17, 2006 in Cameras
What lens is the lens for me?
I have 3: 18-55 35-80 80-210

I have a Canon Digital Rebel XT and I want ONE lens that will do the work of the 3 I have.

PLEASE HELP!!

Thank you

Comments

• Options
    DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2006
    What lens is the lens for me?
    I have 3: 18-55 35-80 80-210

I have a Canon Digital Rebel XT and I want ONE lens that will do the work of the 3 I have.

PLEASE HELP!!

Thank you

doesn't having one lens to do all kinda defeat the purpose of an SLR?ne_nau.gif

if i was to tell you to get one, canon has a 28-200 i think...
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• Options
    Barefoot and NaturalBarefoot and Natural Registered Users Posts: 586 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2006
    DanielB wrote:
    doesn't having one lens to do all kinda defeat the purpose of an SLR?ne_nau.gif

I do not want to replace them...I want an additional...I have my first wedding to do in December and i am trying to find out if there is a lens that will help me out...instead of my "worrying" about changing out my lenses....

I am still learning about lenses to begin with....I just wanted some advice:D

Thank you for your suggestion
  • Options
    ScottMcLeodScottMcLeod Registered Users Posts: 753 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2006
    I do not want to replace them...I want an additional...I have my first wedding to do in December and i am trying to find out if there is a lens that will help me out...instead of my "worrying" about changing out my lenses....

You're thinking of doing a wedding with a rebel XT and 3 of the cheapest lenses that canon makes? Is it volunteer work?

Because if it's paid work, I think this is this one of those "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all moments"...

If you're being paid, you need proper glass, a proper flash, and enough memory to handle shooting in RAW. I also hope you have the training required to handle someone's memories like that. (Assisted a professional on at least a few weddings, to know what's going on, have a minimum shot list, and all the associated things to look out that you make sure you get)

At very minimum, Keep the 18-55 (if it's proven sharp... 2 of my 3 copies that i've owned were sharp), get a Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, and something a bit longer, like a 70-200 f/4L or the 70-200 Sigma

You could also get the 17-85 to replace the 18-55, but is it worth the 700$ extra for the Image Stabiliser and the extra 30mm?

Alternatively, if you don't have the cash to buy, rent the following:
    - Canon 10-22 EFs
    - Canon 24-70 f/2.8
    - Canon 70-200 f/2.8

Oh, and Either a Sigma 500 DG Super, or a Canon 580EX ,and some kind of diffuser (Sto-fen omnibounce, or lightsphere)

No offense intended by the above, just making sure you're not getting yourself in over your head, and stuck out to dry.

EDIT: By the by, the 70-210 (if it's the nice USM 3.5-4.5 version), might do instead of the 70-200 f/2.8, but the 24/8-70/5 is a necessity IMHO
    - Scott
    http://framebyframe.ca
    [Bodies] Canon EOS 20D - Canon EOS 500
    [Lenses] Sigma APO 70-200 f/2.8 - Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 - Tamron XR Di 28-75mm f/2.8 - Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    [Flash] Sigma EF500 Super DG Flash
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited May 15, 2006
    I'm moving this over to the gear forum where you can get more opinions. When you figure out exactly what you're looking for, come on back to the flea market!

thanks thumb.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,916 moderator
    edited May 15, 2006

70-200 f/2.8.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    photobugphotobug Registered Users Posts: 633 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2006
    Count on using more then one lens
    The closest one I can think of is Canon's 28-300 "L" IS lens -- which costs 2-3 times what your camera body cost and is quite heavy (over 3 pounds if I recall).

It's probably unrealistic that you use just ONE lens the WHOLE time. But I doubt you should have to change very often. You'd probably use one for all the "posed" photos, for instance. And another during the ceremony. Etc.

If any part of the wedding is indoors, you should really consider an f/2.8 lens (like the one previously mentioned) for indoor, no-flash shots. (and be sure to set your custom white balance for those!)
    Canon EOS 7D ........ 24-105 f/4L | 50 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8L IS + 1.4x II TC ........ 580EX
    Supported by: Benro C-298 Flexpod tripod, MC96 monopod, Induro PHQ1 head
    Also play with: studio strobes, umbrellas, softboxes, ...and a partridge in a pear tree...

• Options
    USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2006
    24-70 f/2.8L and 70-200 f/2.8L IS...w/flash
    Both would be good for wedding imho...both high $$$$
    Although I dont have this lens I would think the 135 f/2 would be awesome for inside but a little long ne_nau.gif

Fred
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2006
    From everything I've seen on my normal haunts the 24-70+70-200/2.8 seemsto the be de-facto standard wedding lens combo. Both are fantastic lenses & cna produce top-quality images. Of course the lens prices reflect that. I would suggest at least renting that combo for the event--then start saving up after the L-lust sets in. :)
  • Options
    edited May 15, 2006
    From everything I've seen on my normal haunts the 24-70+70-200/2.8 seemsto the be de-facto standard wedding lens combo. Both are fantastic lenses & cna produce top-quality images. Of course the lens prices reflect that. I would suggest at least renting that combo for the event--then start saving up after the L-lust sets in. :)

I want to thank all of you for your advice! It is really helpful. This wedding is for a friend and I am getting paid....but totally not what a "Professional" gets paid. I really want to see if this type of photography is what I want to do in the future...

Thank you ALL again....I will be sure keep you updated as to what I get and how it goes......thumb.gif
  • Options
    JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2006
    I want to thank all of you for your advice! It is really helpful. This wedding is for a friend and I am getting paid....but totally not what a "Professional" gets paid. I really want to see if this type of photography is what I want to do in the future...

Thank you ALL again....I will be sure keep you updated as to what I get and how it goes......thumb.gif

I'd listen to what Scott had to say, because if this is your first wedding, and it's for a friend, who also happens to be paying you....you better make sure they know the risk that is involved. Otherwise you could have oops...no friend. One camera body for a wedding....big risk. Failure always happens when we need it least.
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2006
    Jeffro wrote:
    I'd listen to what Scott had to say, because if this is your first wedding, and it's for a friend, who also happens to be paying you....you better make sure they know the risk that is involved. Otherwise you could have oops...no friend. One camera body for a wedding....big risk. Failure always happens when we need it least.
    Well all this assumes that the bride is expecting professional results. Of course I don't know the situation, but I would certainly be sure to set expectations that because you have a nice camera does not mean you have all the other equipment and experience that comes with an experienced wedding photographer.

I am sure that your photos will be quite good, and of course done with care and skill. But, there are limits to using standard lenses, and these limits are tested severly at weddings: low light, movement, and difficult shooting locations that require tight crops post-processing. Without very bright, very sharp lenses, and decent flash equipment, the ability to capture very good shots is very very difficult.

Oh, by the way: Canon 24-70L, or if can't imagine springing for $1000 lens, go for the Tamron 28-75 2.8 for $350 or the Sigma 24-70-2.8 for $400. I also recommend the Sigma 10-20, very nice for shots inside a church. These are all well respected lenses, known to be sharp, and higher quality than what you have now.