Buying a 17-40L New vs Used

KevinKalKevinKal Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
edited May 16, 2006 in Cameras
Hi All,

I am planning a trip to New Mexico this Memorial weekend and would like to pick up a Canon 17-40L to use with my 20D for landscape photos. I've read that some copies of the lens are "soft" while everyone trying to sell a used copy claims that theirs is "sharp sharp sharp!". My question is: if I have to buy the lens new from B&H over the internet, how would I know if I received a sharp vs soft copy?

Thanks for your help,
Kevin K.

Comments

• DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2006
    KevinKal wrote:
    Hi All,

I am planning a trip to New Mexico this Memorial weekend and would like to pick up a Canon 17-40L to use with my 20D for landscape photos. I've read that some copies of the lens are "soft" while everyone trying to sell a used copy claims that theirs is "sharp sharp sharp!". My question is: if I have to buy the lens new from B&H over the internet, how would I know if I received a sharp vs soft copy?

Thanks for your help,
    Kevin K.

if it was soft it must have just been 1 bad batch because with my experiences with L glass is that ALMOST all of them are tack sharp, the 70-200's and the 17-40 included. i love my copy and wouldn't give it up for the worldthumb.gif

have you thought of a 10-22 for your landscapes on the 20Dne_nau.gif a 17-40 would only give you 27-64... 10-22 gives you 16-35mwink.gif
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• KevinKalKevinKal Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2006
    Hi Daniel,

Yes, I looked into the 10-22 but I've decided to go with the 17-40 because (1) it has a solid reputation and (2) when I move to a FF camera I'll still be able to use the 17-40.

Again, I was just asking about how one would know if their copy of the lens was as sharp as it was supposed to be. I've read that there are complaints regarding certain copies of the 17-40 as being overly soft.

Thanks,
    Kevin K.
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited May 14, 2006
    Give this a little push over to the camera forum in hopes others
    would see and possibly offer some suggestions.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2006
    Adding more confustion. Have you looked at the 12-24's from Tokina & Sigma? A nice thread over at POTN has some absolutely stunning shots from the Tokina 12-24, feedback sounds like it's got about "L" build. And no EF-S problems.
  • USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2006
    24-70 f/2.8 L makes a nice landscape and portrait also...which I have.
    I have 10-22 great fun lens but wont work on the 5D.
    But I also want the 17-40 for wide on full frame sensor.
    I'll be watching this thread for info too

Fred
  • USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2006
    Just seen the 24-70 and 17-85 in the flea market forum
    Pry open those wallets boys and girls :D

Fred
  • JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2006
    KevinKal wrote:
    Again, I was just asking about how one would know if their copy of the lens was as sharp as it was supposed to be. I've read that there are complaints regarding certain copies of the 17-40 as being overly soft.
    Kevin K.

You keep saying "copy" and it makes me goheadscratch.gif , do mean a knock off? I can tell you my 17-40 is GREAT!! It's not soft, I haven't seen or heard of anyone complaing of their 17-40 being soft either. Don't be affraid, buy it, if by some odd chance there's something wrong with it, send it back.

Enjoy your trip!
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
    edited May 15, 2006
    Jeffro,

By "copy", I mean the specific lens an individual purchases - that's why when someone sells their "copy", they state: "this copy is sharp!", or something to that effect. There's currently an individual selling a 17-40L on this website who states his cousing hand picked the lens among 8 others to get the "sharpest copy". I've read a number of individual's reviews on websites such as FM stating they had to return their first or second copy of the 17-40 before receiving a sharp one. This is a great option - if you buy from a store. I was contemplating buying a second hand lens to keep some of the costs down...perhaps it's worth it just to pay the premium and go with the trusted B&H??

Thanks for your input on your lens...glad you got a sharp copy! thumb.gif
    Jeffro wrote:
    You keep saying "copy" and it makes me goheadscratch.gif , do mean a knock off? I can tell you my 17-40 is GREAT!! It's not soft, I haven't seen or heard of anyone complaing of their 17-40 being soft either. Don't be affraid, buy it, if by some odd chance there's something wrong with it, send it back.

Enjoy your trip!
  • JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2006
    KevinKal wrote:
    Jeffro,
    By "copy", I mean the specific lens an individual purchases - that's why when someone sells their "copy", they state: "this copy is sharp!", or something to that effect.
    Thanks for your input on your lens...glad you got a sharp copy! thumb.gif

Just wanted to make sure I was on the same page. I'm sure there are subtle differences in all types of equipment, but I'd say you are safe with the 17-40L. :D
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
    edited May 16, 2006
    Who do I send this bill to?
    Well I figured that with the Canon rebate still available, buying the 17-40 from B&H would only cost about $50 more than the used one I was looking at. Peace of mind and a warranty are worth the money, so I ordered the lens from B&H last night. First L-glass too, so I'm really looking forward to itclap.gif . Plan to test it out in New Mexico over Memorial Weekend, and hope to share the results with all of you. Thanks for the help thumb.gif .

Cheers,
    Kevin K.
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited May 16, 2006
    Rebates make it easier to buy new :D

Good luck with your new lens and I look forward to seeing some piccies after
    Memorial Day.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • LuckyBobLuckyBob Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2006
    Heh. The rebates got me also :D. I picked up a 17-40L last month and I'll have the 100mm f/2.8 macro and a Kenko extension tube set in two days. The 17-40L I picked up seems to be a decent copy; it's not tack sharp wide open but it's consistant corner-to-corner and a bit of USM gets it right back up to the fantastic range. Have fun with your new toy clap.gif
    LuckyBobGallery"You are correct, sir!"
  • Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2006
    You'll love this lens. I have it and it practically lives on my 20D. Great lens!
    -Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.