Options

Possible control of META 'DESCRIPTION' tag?

2»

Comments

• Options
    ccraftccraft Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited November 26, 2007
    I would respectfully like to add my two cents. Sounds like we can't get custom meta tags; however, the current meta tag doesn't actually advertise for Smugmug because the wording is misleading. In fact, there is no mention of Smugmug at all in the text.

Any chance of the meta data reading something different - while still plugging smugmug?

For instance: "This site is powered by Smugmug - the best service for professional photographers to share their work, etc..."

This is FAR better wording, not at all misleading and still advertises for Smugmug - gets Smugmug's name out there. If we have to use Smugmug's meta data instead of our own at the very least it should make sense to the user who sees it on Google.

Why was the current wording chosen since it doesn't even use the word "smugmug"? It doesn't really sell Smugmug's services whatsoever so it kind of shoots everyone in the foot (including Smugmug). Any rationale on why this wording is used without mention of the word Smugmug?

Wondering if it is at all possible to at least re-write the wording (again, same keywords... just worded differently). Is this something that needs to be requested as a feature or is it a non-technical thing that's more part of Smugmug's policy.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers!

Christina Craft - FunkyTown Photography
    portrait and wedding photographer Victoria BC
    C-2529 Vancouver St, Victoria · 360-775-2539

• Options
    jasoncainejasoncaine Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2007
    This was changed a while back, can't tell you exactly when.

You just need to put your info into your bio. If you do a search for my name (denise goldberg), the entry for my smugmug galleries is tagged with the site name that I assigned it, and the text in the entry is directly from my bio. I've included a screen shot of the results of a search in Google for my name.

I can't tell you how long it will take for the bio to be indexed by the search engines, but it will happen.

--- Denise

I did the same as you denise, but when I view my source it shows the MetaSmug way up top and my meta way at the bottom. Won't this affect my ratings/ranking in Google? Won't it display the top one which is still SmugJive?
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,247 moderator
    edited November 29, 2007
    jasoncaine wrote:
    I did the same as you denise, but when I view my source it shows the MetaSmug way up top and my meta way at the bottom. Won't this affect my ratings/ranking in Google? Won't it display the top one which is still SmugJive?
    Very interesting.

The difference between our sites is that I have my slideshow in my header and not in my bio. I believe you have your slideshow in your bio. In order to have your bio info pulled in by Google, I think it needs to be before the slideshow stuff in your bio. I would add a div and set it to display: none. then use that div around the info you want to show up in google. And I would put that div before the slideshow parameters in your bio.

Do a view source on Andy's page (http://www.moonriverphotography.com), and you'll see his descriptive bio info before his slideshow parameters. And it's the descriptive info that shows up in Google when you search for Andy Williams.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited November 29, 2007
    Very interesting.

The difference between our sites is that I have my slideshow in my header and not in my bio. I believe you have your slideshow in your bio. In order to have your bio info pulled in by Google, I think it needs to be before the slideshow stuff in your bio. I would add a div and set it to display: none. then use that div around the info you want to show up in google. And I would put that div before the slideshow parameters in your bio.

Do a view source on Andy's page (http://www.moonriverphotography.com), and you'll see his descriptive bio info before his slideshow parameters. And it's the descriptive info that shows up in Google when you search for Andy Williams.

--- Denise

I just did that and my view source is showing the same as before ... how do I upload a photo of my bio in edit mode so I can show you what I got? Might help to see it through my unseeing eyes!! :)
  • Options
    edited November 29, 2007
    jasoncaine wrote:
    I just did that and my view source is showing the same as before ... how do I upload a photo of my bio in edit mode so I can show you what I got? Might help to see it through my unseeing eyes!! :)
    The only way I know of right now is to take a screen shot of your bio, upload it to one of your galleries, and then insert it here from the photo gallery.

Maybe simpler - you could just copy your bio and paste it (the description and the code) here.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited November 29, 2007
    The only way I know of right now is to take a screen shot of your bio, upload it to one of your galleries, and then insert it here from the photo gallery.

Maybe simpler - you could just copy your bio and paste it (the description and the code) here.

--- Denise

Doh ... I was thinking too far out :)
    Here's what I show in my bio box:
    <*html*>
    <*div*>
    <*meta name*="description" content="Home of Creative and Event Photographer Jason Caine, St. Louis Metro Area. View Online Portfolio and Order Prints." />
    <*meta name*="keywords" content="creative photography, event photography, location photography, wedding photography, portrait photography, professional photography, special
    event photography, Jason, Caine, Jason Caine, St. Louis, Missouri, online galleries, order prints, online prints, digital photography, professional photographer, photo touch-up, photo restoration, the skills pay the bills" />
    </div>

<*script*>
    var oParams = new Object;
    oParams.AlbumID = "3831017";
    oParams.newWindow = 'false';
    oParams.transparent = "true";
    oParams.splash = "http://JasonCainePhotography.smugmug.com/photos/221503991-S.png";
    oParams.showLogo = "false";
    oParams.clickUrl = "http://jasoncainephotography.smugmug.com/galleries";
    oParams.showThumbs = "false";
    oParams.showButtons = 'false';
    oParams.crossFadeSpeed = '600';
    createSWF(700,500, oParams, "transparent");
    <*/script*>
    </html>

(Asterisks not actually there, of course!)

But I still see SmugJive up on top ... unlike yours and Andy's. Tried moving my show to the header for a few seconds back, but it still registered the same. Don't get it?!
  • Options
    edited November 29, 2007
    jasoncaine wrote:
    Doh ... I was thinking too far out :)
    Here's what I show in my bio box:
    <*html*>
    <*div*>
    <*meta name*="description" content="Home of Creative and Event Photographer Jason Caine, St. Louis Metro Area. View Online Portfolio and Order Prints." />
    <*meta name*="keywords" content="creative photography, event photography, location photography, wedding photography, portrait photography, professional photography, special
    event photography, Jason, Caine, Jason Caine, St. Louis, Missouri, online galleries, order prints, online prints, digital photography, professional photographer, photo touch-up, photo restoration, the skills pay the bills" />

<*script*>
    var oParams = new Object;
    oParams.AlbumID = "3831017";
    oParams.newWindow = 'false';
    oParams.transparent = "true";
    oParams.splash = "http://JasonCainePhotography.smugmug.com/photos/221503991-S.png";
    oParams.showLogo = "false";
    oParams.clickUrl = "http://jasoncainephotography.smugmug.com/galleries";
    oParams.showThumbs = "false";
    oParams.showButtons = 'false';
    oParams.crossFadeSpeed = '600';
    createSWF(700,500, oParams, "transparent");
    <*/script*>
    (Asterisks not actually there, of course!)

But I still see SmugJive up on top ... unlike yours and Andy's. Tried moving my show to the header for a few seconds back, but it still registered the same. Don't get it?!
    This is a long shot - but... smugmug builds the meta name = stuff. And a normal bio is just text, no meta name = stuff. Also - I don't know of any way to override the meta keywords, so important words will need to be in your bio description or as photo keywords.

So I believe that the start of your bio should just be:
    <*html*>

<*div id = "your div name"*>
    Home of Creative and Event Photographer Jason Caine, St. Louis Metro Area. View Online Portfolio and Order Prints. ... and any other text you want...
    <*/div*>

Then follow that with your slideshow parameters. And then a <*/html*>

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited November 29, 2007
    This is a long shot - but... smugmug builds the meta name = stuff. And a normal bio is just text, no meta name = stuff. Also - I don't know of any way to override the meta keywords, so important words will need to be in your bio description or as photo keywords.

So I believe that the start of your bio should just be:
    <*html*>

<*div id = "your div name"*>
    Home of Creative and Event Photographer Jason Caine, St. Louis Metro Area. View Online Portfolio and Order Prints. ... and any other text you want...
    <*/div*>

Then follow that with your slideshow parameters. And then a <*/html*>

--- Denise

Thanks for your help! That definitely did the trick at getting the text to show up top, BUT ... now that text is visible. How do I hide it from view so my slideshow takes center stage??
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2007
    jasoncaine wrote:
    Thanks for your help! That definitely did the trick at getting the text to show up top, BUT ... now that text is visible. How do I hide it from view so my slideshow takes center stage??
    in your CSS:

#divname {display: none;}
  • Options
    edited November 29, 2007
    jasoncaine wrote:
    Try this - I think it will work...

Add to CSS:
    #myBioInfo {
        display: none }

Then at the start of your bio (remove the *'s):
    <*html>
    <*div id = "myBioInfo">
    Home of Creative and Event Photographer Jason Caine, St. Louis Metro Area. View Online Portfolio and Order Prints. 
    and whatever else you want here...
    <*/div>

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited November 29, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    in your CSS:

#divname {display: none;}

Thanks Denise and Andy -
    That little bit was all it took.
    Looks great to me [cause I can't see it!! :)]
    SmugService comes through again ... but don't they always!!
  • Options
    ElmakiasElmakias Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited January 4, 2008
    hmmm
    I can not seem to get this to work. Could I get some help.

-adam
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2008
    Elmakias wrote:
    I can not seem to get this to work. Could I get some help.

-adam
    Hi, by "this" what do you mean? Can you be very specific please, so we can help? Thanks!
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Hi, by "this" what do you mean? Can you be very specific please, so we can help? Thanks!

Sure, sorry.

I want to change what my site shows up as on google.
    Possibly the following

elmakiasphoto
    the photography of adam elmakias

correct me if im wrong, but that is what this thread is about?
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2008
    http://wiki.smugmug.com/display/SmugMug/Maximize+Search+Engine+Findability
    These are all the tricks and tips that I know of thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2008
    party time
    Andy wrote:
    http://wiki.smugmug.com/display/SmugMug/Maximize+Search+Engine+Findability
    These are all the tricks and tips that I know of thumb.gif

thanks andy, appreciate it!
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2008
    how did you get his to appear? (andy)
    ****** http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
    ****** name="description" content="Moon River Photography by Andy Williams
    Portrait, event, and senior photography. Also specializing in Landscapes and Fine Art. New York City and Westchester County.
  • Options
    richWrichW Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2008
    Elmakias wrote:
    ****** http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
    ****** name="description" content="Moon River Photography by Andy Williams
    Portrait, event, and senior photography. Also specializing in Landscapes and Fine Art. New York City and Westchester County.
    It looks to be in his bioBox.

Moon River Photography by Andy Williams

Check out 'Maximize Search Engine Findability' in the Wiki: http://wiki.smugmug.com/display/SmugMug/Maximize+Search+Engine+Findability
  • Options
    rkudasikrkudasik Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited March 30, 2009
    code showing up in google
    jasoncaine wrote:

Hello, below is my code for my homepage. It looks like working code. However, in facebook posted links and google, not just the words between the biotext div tag show up. Even the var ssConfig = {... text shows up. Obviously, it's not going to do me good to have code in my site description! I noticed that Andy has a few div tags on MRP, slideshow container, etc. What I obviously can't see is his CSS. What is the purpose of those div tags? What does the CSS say? Is that what will make my slideshow code now show up in google? thanks in advance!

<*html*>
    <*div id="userBio"*>
    <*div id="bioText"*>Event Horizon Fotografie by Ryan Kudasik. Specializing in weddings and outside portraits. Also, pretty darn good at still life and landscapes.
    <*/div*>

<*script*>
    var ssConfig = {
    AlbumID: '7611277',
    newWindow: 'false',
    transparent: 'true',
    splash: 'http://event-horizon.smugmug.com/photos/437947365_JjaUf-M.jpg',
    showLogo: 'false',
    clickUrl: 'false',
    showThumbs: 'false',
    showButtons: 'true',
    crossFadeSpeed: '350'
    };

SM.flash.insertSlideshow(600, 600, ssConfig, 'transparent');
    <*/script*>

<*/div*>
    <*/html*>
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2009
    rkudasik wrote:
    Hello, below is my code for my homepage. It looks like working code. However, in facebook posted links and google, not just the words between the biotext div tag show up.

Could we see your website please? ear.gif
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2009
    Url
    Andy wrote:
    Could we see your website please? ear.gif

Sure thing, sorry.

www.eventHorizonFotografie.com
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2009
    rkudasik wrote:
    I fixed you - you had an error in your code, using a - instead of a =

And I added the spaces between your bioText div and the slideshow code. View source on your page and see :)

Finally, you put a div userBio in your bio html, can't imagine why you did that :D Removed.
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2009
    thanks and thanks again
    Andy wrote:
    I fixed you - you had an error in your code, using a - instead of a =

And I added the spaces between your bioText div and the slideshow code. View source on your page and see :)

Finally, you put a div userBio in your bio html, can't imagine why you did that :D Removed.

Those pesky equals signs!

Thanks Andy! Smugmug is my site for life!
  • Options
    ArdynasArdynas Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited August 21, 2009
    Updates to Meta?
    This is the first hit I get on Google from my Smug Mug account.
    Is it possible my slideshow accidently ended up in my meta tag?

Rod Ostoski Photography
    var ssConfig = { AlbumID: '6730521', newWindow: 'false', transparent: 'true', showLogo: 'false', showThumbs: 'false', showButtons: 'false', ...
    www.rodostoski.com/ - Cached - Similar

Any status change on the gallery meta tags? Would sure like to put my own information in instead of having:
    The ultimate in photo & video sharing. Easily create online photo albums. Share, store, organize and print.

Thanks,
    Rod
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2009
    Ardynas wrote:
    This is the first hit I get on Google from my Smug Mug account.
    Is it possible my slideshow accidently ended up in my meta tag?

Rod Ostoski Photography
    var ssConfig = { AlbumID: '6730521', newWindow: 'false', transparent: 'true', showLogo: 'false', showThumbs: 'false', showButtons: 'false', ...
    www.rodostoski.com/ - Cached - Similar

Follow the Red Gotcha here on this page:
    http://wiki.smugmug.net/display/SmugMug/Flash+Slideshow
  • Options
    CW PhotoCW Photo Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited September 24, 2009
    I kinda need some help
    I am trying to remove the following when I google search:

The ultimate in photo & video sharing. Easily create online photo albums. Share, store, organize and print.

I have read tons of threads and helps on this and still cannot get it right. Here is what my biotext says:

<html>

<div id="bioText">CW Photography - Welcome to CW Photography in Springfield, MO. CW Photography specializes in: Wedding and Portrait Photography, Family Portraits and Senior Photos</div>

****** name="description" content="CW Photography - Welcome to CW Photography in Springfield, MO. CW Photography specializes in: Wedding and Portrait Photography, Family Portraits and Senior Photos" />
    ****** name="keywords" content="CW Photography,Wedding Photographer, Wedding Photographer Springfield MO,Nixa,Wedding Photographer,portrait,senior,springfield mo,Missouri,wedding photographer, Portrait, springfield missouri, wedding photography, springfield mo, family portraits">

********>

var ssConfig = {
    AlbumID: '9675177',
    newWindow: 'false',
    transparent: 'true',
    splash: 'http://www.smugmug.com/img/ria/ShizamSlides/smugmug_black.png',
    showLogo: 'false',
    clickToImage: 'true',
    showThumbs: 'true',
    showButtons: 'true',
    crossFadeSpeed: '350'
    };

SM.flash.insertSlideshow(600, 600, ssConfig, 'transparent');
    </********
    </html>

So what have I done wrong because when I google search my biotext is not coming up under my link. You can visit my site :www.crystalwashburnphotography.com

Thanks,
    CW Photo
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    CW Photo wrote:
    I am trying to remove the following when I google search:

I have read tons of threads and helps on this and still cannot get it right. Here is what my biotext says:

So what have I done wrong because when I google search my biotext is not coming up under my link. You can visit my site :www.crystalwashburnphotography.com

Thanks,
    CW Photo
    Look in your control panel under the customize tab for advanced site-wide
    customization. See this on that page.
    Page Title (optional)
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    CW PhotoCW Photo Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    Allen wrote:
    Look in your control panel under the customize tab for advanced site-wide
    customization. See this on that page.
    Page Title (optional)

I looked in my advanced customization. In my PAGE TITLE OPTIONAL is the following script:

Springfield MO Wedding Photographer CW Photography, springfield missouri wedding photographer, wedding and portrait photography in springfield mo, photography, portraits, senior, family photos, photographer, ozark missouri

and this appears on the tab when people search for my website. So what do I do? Thanks again.

CW Photo
    www.crystalwashburnphotography.com
  • Options
    DreamspinnerDreamspinner Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited October 7, 2009
    CW Photo wrote:
    I looked in my advanced customization. In my PAGE TITLE OPTIONAL is the following script:

Springfield MO Wedding Photographer CW Photography, springfield missouri wedding photographer, wedding and portrait photography in springfield mo, photography, portraits, senior, family photos, photographer, ozark missouri

and this appears on the tab when people search for my website. So what do I do? Thanks again.

CW Photo
    www.crystalwashburnphotography.com
    Google uses your page title as the first line in their search results. Your page title also appears at top of your browser window. So decide what one message you want to show up in both places and type it into your PAGE TITLE (optional)