2. Making the play in the infield
69567182-M.jpg

3. The wind up..........
69567163-M.jpg

Comments

• Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited May 16, 2006
    Nice John thumb.gif

I'd even suggest getting tighter and cutting off apendages, as/if required. Like the first pic. I think you could have gotten by with a wasit up shot. His eyes and the ball, make the shot for me :D

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • JohnEBongoJohnEBongo Registered Users Posts: 340 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2006
    Thanks for the feedback Steve, if it weren't for you I wouldn't get any feedback from this place. Anyways, these shots are already cropped pretty good since I am still learning to shoot tight in camera. I don't want to crop much more for fear of losing quality. When I get some good tight shots, I'll try cropiing like you suggest. Thanks again. John
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited May 17, 2006
    These are all nice shots. They isolate the players and action well.
    The comments I have include watch the backgrounds (the catcher
    and the pitcher). I might be tempted to follow Steve's advice for a
    couple of shots but cutting off apendages should be avoided unless
    you're going for the emotion or you wanted something to go with a
    package (ie; tight facial crop for a player poster or something).

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited May 17, 2006
    15524779-Ti.gif with what Ian wrote. Just to clarify, I am not in favor of chopping off apendages willy-nilly or without some forethought. I agree that you need to be selective and it's mainly for those great facial expression shots. Which is why I suggested it on the first shot. I would think cropping right above the knee (or shooting tight like that) and getting both arms, the ball and the face in the shot would have been sweet thumb.gif

If you can shoot tighter, it will help with your backgrounds too. I know there can be lots of ugly items in the background of these games. Like parents and siblings....Laughing.gif J/K, like fences, trashcans, vehicles and the like.

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2006
    these are nice John. I like the crisp, clean colors. And, of course, the action is great too!clap.gif Did I see some where that you got to play with a big prime lens for these? In any case, some parents should be really happy.

C.
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)
  • JohnEBongoJohnEBongo Registered Users Posts: 340 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2006
    Frog Lady wrote:
    Did I see some where that you got to play with a big prime lens for these?

C.

These were all shot with my Canon 70-200 f2.8L. Last weekend I did use a 400 f2.8L IS. That thing is a beast, but it was fun to shoot with. I won't get my hands on those files until Saturday. so I will try to post some shots early next week.

Thanks

John
  • MongrelMongrel Registered Users Posts: 622 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2006
    Not really the trend at the moment Ian:
    ian408 wrote:
    I might be tempted to follow Steve's advice for a
    couple of shots but cutting off apendages should be avoided unless
    you're going for the emotion or you wanted something to go with a
    package (ie; tight facial crop for a player poster or something).

Ian

Seems like the latest advice is to shoot tight and crop even tighter ne_nau.gif . At least that's what I'm hearing elsewhere by guys I really respect and admire for their skill at sports action photography (Nill Toulme and 'PShizzy' come to mind). If you've seen their work, you'll notice this type of tight cropping immediately. Puts you into the play-lol.

Some very nice shots above though, JohnE. You are definately getting the hang of it, as they say! thumb.gif
    If every keystroke was a shutter press I'd be a pro by now...
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited May 19, 2006
    Mongrel wrote:
    Seems like the latest advice is to shoot tight and crop even tighter ne_nau.gif . At least that's what I'm hearing elsewhere by guys I really respect and admire for their skill at sports action photography (Nill Toulme and 'PShizzy' come to mind). If you've seen their work, you'll notice this type of tight cropping immediately. Puts you into the play-lol.

Some very nice shots above though, JohnE. You are definately getting the hang of it, as they say! thumb.gif

Max and Nill both have great shooting styles. Different sports but nice tight
    crops. I think both do this in-camera (more or less). OBTW, I'll pimp pshizzy's
    PS actions too. They're pretty darn good.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • PShizzyPShizzy Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited May 20, 2006
    re: A few More Little League Shots
    I like the shots..

In the first one, you got an issue where the background really doesn't help the shot, but can't really blame you, the distance to the subject and distance to background really augment the problem. In these cases, going overtight is sometimes an option (crop wasit up, leave little breathing room)

The second shot is good, nice action to it, you know what's going to happen, but I would crop it tighter with any left over space going left and/or bottom. This means if you use a standard crop and it doesn't fit perfectly, leave left over space with that left/bottom in mind (for THIS image). How you determine the space depends on where the images are "leading" or going.

Last image, the pitcher is aiming left... so I'd leave his leading space left, especially because if you crop a little more, you might beable to get rid of that car on the right....

Hope this helped.

Max
  • IronhorseIronhorse Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited May 20, 2006
    John....I like all three shots and agree with the comments about cropping the second one.

Max ... Welcome, a nice suprise to see you here. I really appreciate your work and your willingness to share your knowledge.
    Regards,

Joe