f/2.8
1/800
ISO100
Shutter Priority

66437042-L.jpg

Comments

• CookieSCookieS Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2006
    Lots of us doing this for the first time, Its harder than it looks, those look nice, first one a bit soft, Love all the dirt flying in the second one.
  • Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited May 16, 2006
    Good work for your first time thumb.gifthumb.gif

I too, like the flyin' dirt and tightness of the 2nd shot clap.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2006
    The first and third look like they might be a bit OOF. I like using vertical framing on single riders coming at me, more of a personal taste maybe, but the rider goes from the top of the frame to the bottm, and it seems to please my eye more. Like in the first if it was framed vertically you could have included some of the track ahead of him, givng him somewhere to go. Actually the same could be said for the third one as well.

I like the close-up nature of the second one, but would like it more if there was more bike, less sky. I know, I know, they are going fast.

I've found that f2.8 works pretty good on super tight shots, or side shots, but when the bike is coming right at you, f4 seems to give the extra DOF needed to keep the rider and fender/front tire in focus as well.

Being you first time, you didn't do to bad. It's harder than it looks. It's not like these guys are on a flat smooth track, riding at a constant speed. Way tougher than flat land racing!

Keep shooting! 9496500-Ti.gif

Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • xtnomadxtnomad Registered Users Posts: 340 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2006
    Dido with Jeffro
    Dido with jeffro, the one thing I would add is the terrain you might have to travel to get some shots can be difficult in its own. I try to keep the riders paralell to me on jumps and use all the telephoto I have on riders coming at me, I also shoot MX and the first thing I would work on is panning. After I learned panning with MX, I can just pop up and grab almost every shot I go for. Keep Shotimg. thumb.gif
    xtnomad :wink