No More Lurking! Beginner IR pics

SyncMasterSyncMaster Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
edited May 16, 2006 in Holy Macro
so these are some pics i took with my nikon d70, and a hoya r72 filter. looking for advice on post processing in photoshop, especially how to get the awesome colors i see on some pics....seems like my sky is always green...any advice would be great.

Img0687.jpg
Img0680.jpg
Img0671.jpg
Img0665.jpg
Img0661.jpg
DSC_0027.jpg

Comments

• SyncMasterSyncMaster Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited May 16, 2006
    BTW, if its not obvious, i made the path blue in the last shot. thats my favorite, i love it, wish they all turned out that way!
    edited May 16, 2006
    also, i realize there is some lens flare in the last one, but i kinda liked it.
  • boogieboogie Registered Users Posts: 553 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2006
    Darn good for a non-dedicated IR camera. I'm not much into false
    color IR but have tried some. Setting a custom white balance is
    most important then a channel swap in PS.
    The link below is very imformative and gives two instructions on processing IR. One is in text and the other is a video. Very Helpful. This is where
    I had my Rebel XT converted to IR and I am very pleased with the conversion. Have fun and experiment.

Andrea

http://www.lifepixel.com/digital-infrared/instructions.html
  • sthigsthig Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2006
    I don't want to derail this thread but boogie, how does one go about converting their camera to IR and how much does it cost? (I have a rebel just sitting here begging to be converted).

I like your picture's color and contrast and they have a lot of potential. My one crit would be to consider your composition in your next set. The last one is beautiful, you hit that spot on :)
    -Scott
    photos: Scojobo.com
    illos: sThig.com
    edited May 16, 2006
    sthig wrote:
    I don't want to derail this thread but boogie, how does one go about converting their camera to IR and how much does it cost? (I have a rebel just sitting here begging to be converted).

Hi sthig

If you have the camera and the $$$ you can do it.

My Sony P200 was converted by MaxMax for IR and visible light. I use a special 30mm filter on the camera for color and another filter for IR. The cost was $200 for the conversion plus additional for the filters and shipping.

My Canon Rebel XT was sent to Lifepixel for conversion. I used Lifepixel for personal reasons over MaxMax.

The plus of having a converted IR camera is the faster shutter speeds and NO IR filter on the lens and the ability for me to use my Canon lenses. The histogram on the Rebel XT is the key to not underpose...a little bit of a learning process but I'm getting there. The Sony P200 is easier to use cause it's basically a point-n-shoot. :):

The following links will explain the conversion and price.

You can PM me for additional info if you want.

Hope this helps.

Andrea

http://www.lifepixel.com/digital-infrared/faq.html

http://www.maxmax.com/aXRayIRCameras.htm
  • SushantSushant Registered Users Posts: 125 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2006
    Nice IRs!

I find that different cameras will produce different color mixes in the resultant picture. Take in all the tips that you'll find here and in the links posted but the ones you use will really depend on what your pre-processed pics look like. Too many variables for just one set of instructions: ccd properties, filter used, modified/non-modified, night-shot mode, etc.. With my sony with nightshot mode and my IR filter, I can't squeeze any color out of it. With my toshiba cam, I get the blue sky that just needs a bit of hue shift. You will just need to play around a lot and find the steps that work best for you. Good luck! Looking forward to seeing more pictures.
    - Sushant

http://sushant.smugmug.com
    sony dsc-v3, p200, toshiba pdr-3300, canon xt-350d
    edited May 16, 2006
    thanks for all the replies, as far as considering my composition more, could you be more specific? i checked out that link, and it seems that i am already doing everything it says, it just doesnt work the same for me! i have set me WB to green grass, and everything still comes out red. and as for the channel mixer, it turns EVERYTHING blue, then when i go to hue/saturation to desaturare blues, even when i use the selectore, it desaturates EVERYTHING. so i will continue to experiment, hopefully i will get more advice. but again, if there are improvements to be made please be specific so that i can learn from them :D , thanks!
    edited May 16, 2006
    Sushant I agree 100%. All cameras whether converted to IR or not are
    different. Post-processing is another story. I never process my images the
    same way...each one has their own unique qualities.

SyncMaster. I've never taken IR's with a non-dedicated DSLR and I'm sorry I can't be of more help to you.

boogie