Aaarrrrrrrrrrg Domain issue.....

PenrodPenrod Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
edited May 17, 2006 in SmugMug Support
Puleeeeeeeeze help. I have read, reread and reread the instructions, I have set my CName, verified it with Yahoo but then I go back to my control panel here and try to set the custom domain name (www.penrodstudios.com) and I get this error: That hostname doesn't appear to be valid. It doesn't resolve to a hostname. See our help section on custom hostnames.

WTF.... can't imagine what I could be doing wrong, the instructions are very straightforward! :dunno

Any help?

Comments

• devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited May 16, 2006
    Hi Penrod,

It seems to be resolving to smugmug for me (note DNS changes can take up to 72 hours to propagate), but points to the generic smugmug page. This leads me to believe that you haven't configured your smugmug account properly.

Step to do that...

1. You need a Pro account.
    2. Goto control panel
    3. Under Account Settings there should be Domain, click change...
    4. Enter 'www.penrodstudios.com' in the Custom Hostname field
    5. Click 'Update'

Hope this helps,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • PenrodPenrod Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited May 17, 2006
    devbobo wrote:
    Hi Penrod,

It seems to be resolving to smugmug for me (note DNS changes can take up to 72 hours to propagate), but points to the generic smugmug page. This leads me to believe that you haven't configured your smugmug account properly.

Step to do that...

1. You need a Pro account.
    2. Goto control panel
    3. Under Account Settings there should be Domain, click change...
    4. Enter 'www.penrodstudios.com' in the Custom Hostname field
    5. Click 'Update'

Hope this helps,

David

That's precisely what I've been doing for about 12 hours now. Each time I get the error message that I quoted above.
  • devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited May 17, 2006
    Penrod wrote:
    That's precisely what I've been doing for about 12 hours now. Each time I get the error message that I quoted above.

hmmm....ok, usually Andy would be able to log into your account and fix these things straightway, but since he is away on the shootout at Zion, there maybe a slight delay.

I will email him and see if he can look into this when he logs on.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
    edited May 17, 2006
    Thank you, David. I tried again this morning -- same error. I really need to get this switched over before I have clients in the studio later this week.
  • rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2006
    Penrod wrote:
    Thank you, David. I tried again this morning -- same error. I really need to get this switched over before I have clients in the studio later this week.
    Looks like you changed your DNS settings back to your own site. Follow these instructions over here and wait at least 24h for the settings to resolve. Then try again editing your control panel settings. If it still fails give SM a ring over a help@smugmug.com.
    Unless you've set up the Cname correctly they can't help you.

I set my Cname 24h ago and it's not working either yet. I'm also eager to get it working, but apparently it takes a lot more patience.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2006
    when I switched...
    ... from joker to godaddy a couple of months ago, it took a full week for the switch to go through, then another couple of days for the domain to work.

In the meantime, using "yourname.smugmug.com" isn't ideal, but it's better than the generic smugmug page for your customers. Just an idea.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• BenBen Vanilla Admin Posts: 513 SmugMug Employee
    edited May 17, 2006
    I pinged the domain, and it seems to be correctly pointing to smugmug now for me, so I tried entering your custom domain in your control panel and it works now for me. I guess it just needed more time to propogate. If you don't see it working yet, it is because your DNS servers don't have the changes yet.

Enjoy!
    Smug since 2003
  • rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2006
    Ben wrote:
    I pinged the domain, and it seems to be correctly pointing to smugmug now for me, so I tried entering your custom domain in your control panel and it works now for me. I guess it just needed more time to propogate. If you don't see it working yet, it is because your DNS servers don't have the changes yet.
    Works for me - looks like you're all set. thumb.gif
    Nevermind my last post - there I was referring to your site without www.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited May 17, 2006
    Seems patience was the issue, it DOES seem to be working now. The next issue is that Yahoo! made me add "www" in front of my domain name and I don't want to do that --- I've contacted them about changing it.

Thanks for the replies all.