Mother's Day portraits with our daughter

cyoungcyoung Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
edited May 17, 2006 in People
It's been a long time since I've posted anything, but this past Sunday we came home from brunch and descided to have a go in the basement in my homemade studio. I shot these using a Rebel XT and the Tamron 28-75 SP XR Di, with a Speedlite 580EX used to trigger two Promaster Flash units that has a built an optical trip firing into umbrellas on a 10" seamless paper. Please let me know how these look to you guys and C&C is welcomed.

Thanks for looking!

1) Sara crawling towards the camera.

69910817-L.jpg

2) Sara clapping.
69904727-L.jpg

3) Wife and daughter.
69901514-L.jpg
-Carey

Canon EOS Rebel XT, EF-S 18-55, EF 50 1.8 II, Tamron AF 19-35 3.5-4.5, EF 24-70 f/2.8L, EF 70-200 f/4L, Speedlite 580EX, Manfrotto Digi Mini 718B.

Comments

• ellepixelsellepixels Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2006
    cyoung wrote:
    It's been a long time since I've posted anything, but this past Sunday we came home from brunch and descided to have a go in the basement in my homemade studio. I shot these using a Rebel XT and the Tamron 28-75 SP XR Di, with a Speedlite 580EX used to trigger two Promaster Flash units that has a built an optical trip firing into umbrellas on a 10" seamless paper. Please let me know how these look to you guys and C&C is welcomed.

Thanks for looking!

1) Sara crawling towards the camera.

69910817-M.jpg

2) Sara clapping.
    69904727-M.jpg

3) Wife and daughter.
    69901514-M.jpg

OMG! your little girl is soooooooooooOOOOOO cute!thumb.gif
    Lost in Smugmug world.
    visit my website. feel free to sign the guestbook to le me know you dropped by-
    http://www.tanyadelnegro.com
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2006
    I agree, great shots! I wish there was a little bit more room under the hand in #1, but I know that you don't really have much choice with babies! #2 is perfect, good colors and priceless expression. I'm not sure I like the mom's feet cut off in #3, but the expressions are what make the photo, and it gives a tighter crop to them.

Adorable, great job!
    Chris
  • Yvette MarieYvette Marie Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited May 17, 2006
    what
    What a joy she is! Makes me ALMOST miss the baby stage.. ;o)

What do you think about a not so typical crop?

Was wondering about this one.. I think that leaving alot of space around the little ones really shows how small they are..

Anyways.. just a thought... love playing with perfect pictures.

Yvette
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2006
    What a joy she is! Makes me ALMOST miss the baby stage.. ;o)

What do you think about a not so typical crop?

Was wondering about this one.. I think that leaving alot of space around the little ones really shows how small they are..

Anyways.. just a thought... love playing with perfect pictures.

Yvette
    Yvette,

I agree, this is a case where the 1/3 rule really works for the composition (if you assume the child's center of mass is place at an intersection. This also works because Sara's head is very near another intersection. I wouldn't have thought about this kind of a crop this type of image. Now I have one more tool/trick in my bag. Thanks.clap.gif

Carey, I predict you will have problems in about 12 - 14 years! Makes me glad I didn't have any girls!
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited May 17, 2006
    carey-

sorry-

I need to get my head out of where the sun don't shine-

I'm getting names and people screwed up-

anyway, really nice pics and good looking family-

and a neat crop by yvette-

gee, I hope I got it right this time!-

george
  • cyoungcyoung Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited May 17, 2006
    Thanks for looking guys, I never really thought of that crop Yvette, but it looks good to me too. Its hard to think outside the box when its your own photos, thats why I love to hear what all of you think and come up with suggestions that will help me get better.

Thanks Scott, although I'm dreading the teenage years.....I can't help but love having a Daddy's Girl here.

Yvette,

I agree, this is a case where the 1/3 rule really works for the composition (if you assume the child's center of mass is place at an intersection. This also works because Sara's head is very near another intersection. I wouldn't have thought about this kind of a crop this type of image. Now I have one more tool/trick in my bag. Thanks.clap.gif

Carey, I predict you will have problems in about 12 - 14 years! Makes me glad I didn't have any girls!
    -Carey

Canon EOS Rebel XT, EF-S 18-55, EF 50 1.8 II, Tamron AF 19-35 3.5-4.5, EF 24-70 f/2.8L, EF 70-200 f/4L, Speedlite 580EX, Manfrotto Digi Mini 718B.
  • cyoungcyoung Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited May 17, 2006
    Hi Georgewave.gif, I didn't know Scott married my wife rolleyes1.gif, lol its ok sometimes threads are hard to follow hehehe :D, your forgiven!

Carey
    gefillmore wrote:
    scott-

nice photos-
    :D
    great looking family-

don't you have a son that's a second looie (trust he's doing ok)?!-

hah! you'll be how old when she graduates from high school?!-

when my youngest graduates in two years I'll be 58--

yvette--love the crop-
    -Carey

edited May 17, 2006
    "carey-

sorry-

george"

embarassing!--

I haven't even taken my pk pill (patrick kennedy) (ambien) yet today-

oh well----

scott, if you see this, sorry--
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2006
    gefillmore wrote:
    "carey-

sorry-

george"

embarassing!--

I haven't even taken my pk pill (patrick kennedy) (ambien) yet today-

oh well----

scott, if you see this, sorry--
    At the risk of hi-jacking this thread a bit and with apologies to Carey ...

George, I saw the original post where you asked me about my son. I'm not the least bit upset. In fact, I flattered that you remembered the fact that my son is an Army 2LT. His status? Well, if the Army would pull it's collective head from where the sun don't shine, he might actually, someday, get an assignment. Right now, Army has elected not to activate him to Acdtive Duty, but relegated him to the Reserves - OK. But, the Reserves wont assign him to a unit either. So, he's kind of just hanging around the house, trying to light a fire under the Army to get them to do something. In the mean-time, he's working at Starbucks.

But, thanks for asking.... (and if you know anyone in the Army with pull ...)
    edited May 17, 2006
    carey-

sorry to interupt your thread, but it is bumping it for you-

sounds like a regular ol' snafu, scott-

don't want to start a rant but I do hope something gets going for him-

tell him I'm proud and thankful of those who serve-

now, back to carey--

george