Options

advice on expanding business

audiaudi Registered Users Posts: 113 Major grins
edited May 17, 2006 in Mind Your Own Business
Alright, so for the past few years my main focus has been nature photography. However, I want to expand my business to incorperate both nature and portrait photos. I only have a bit of experience with this type of combination, but I think I can make it work nicely nonetheless.

For a portion of this summer I am going to be at a very highly visited tourist spot on the outer banks of NC. I've already got the hookup as to where I can set up a tent(right on the main route) and I finally saved up enough cash to buy my Canon Digital Rebel XT(ive been shooting with Canon Powershots since I got into photography 3 years ago). I know that folks at this place will want to have their photographs taken as souveniers of their vacation.

However, I am at a loss as to how to set up the business. I plan on selling some of my nature photography from both the local area, and from other parts of North Carolina (all the way to the western mountains). I will be able to accept credit cards, but I will not have access to any type of printing for portrait photos that could be picked up.

I was thinking about setting meeting times with interested clients at places on the island which they could choose, or places which I could suggest (my girlfriend is a local and knows all the best spots). After the shoot I would provide them with a business card (and backups) and a password of their choice. I would direct them to my smugmug page where I would have a private gallery set up for them. Here they could choose what photos they want in the sizes they prefer. I seems this is how most of you all in a similar style business do it also. But what if they dont have internet access? Should I just have them pay up front, as if buying a nature print, and then personally send the best photo at their predetermined size to their address? What would you do in that type of situation?

I know I dont seem to have this worked out too well, so I was hoping some of you more experienced folks out there could clue me in to some business tips or provide some feedback on how it sounds so far.

Thanks so much :thumb

audi
"See how willingly Nature poses herself upon photographers' plates. No earthly chemicals are so sensitive as those of the human soul. "
-John Muir

http://www.austinbphotography.com

Nature Photographers Community
Founding Member
http://www.smugmug.com/community/NaturePhotographers