Upload: Elves? The Devil?

ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
edited May 17, 2006 in SmugMug Support
It is 1 AM, as usual I went out to find daily photos, thereby missing all TV, all of my books and magazines, to say the least of sleep. I worked up said photos (they are a tad too dark, but I cannot use that uploader again, not tonight.) I had to use the sloooooooooow one as I don't understand the "new" one. Third party devil loader!!!!

I am tired, stressed, the tax man did calleth, I have been occupied and worried, hence my ability to focus and/or function well is seriously impaired. And what to my "wondering" eyes? Some new uploader. I can't even read how to do it. I don't know if I am supposed to download something. (in order to upload my stuff........)

And please do not patronize me, I have looked here, no one else seems to have noticed this outrage nor have they had a problem.

I have felt like a genius masquerading as the Village Idiot all week, and this weekend capped it.

Please, get Pathfinder or someone to tell me what to do with this abomination.

I don't like it. (That is a me statement, please do not use "you" statements back at me.) That is a truism to which we should all adhere, especially when talking to the village idiot.

ginger: all I want to do is know what I should be doing with the uploader, nothing else..
After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.

Comments

• devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited May 17, 2006
    Ginger,

What uploader have u used in the past ?

Which one did u use that was really slow ? The Standard version ?
    If so, try using the Universal Drag & Drop version.

BTW, which browser so you use ?

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2006
    devbobo wrote:
    Ginger,

What uploader have u used in the past ?

Which one did u use that was really slow ? The Standard version ?
    If so, try using the Universal Drag & Drop version.

BTW, which browser so you use ?

Cheers,

David

Internet explorer (browser)

I don't know what the upload was called, it was the third one down, I think. I have windows XP.

I redid my photos, going to use the superslow one for idiots, just want to go to bed now!1

Thanks for responding..............didn't anyone else notice a change, am I now hallucinating??? I wouldn't doubt it!

g
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Pam7Pam7 Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited May 17, 2006
    ginger_55 wrote:

Thanks for responding..............didn't anyone else notice a change, am I now hallucinating??? I wouldn't doubt it!

g

No you're not hallucinating.

Yes I noticed a change this am when I went to upload. The third party uploader seemed to have taken the place of the window xp uploader.

Downloaded the software, installed it, but yet it seems not to work. Right clicked on my image, went to "send to" but "send to smugmug" wasn't there.

I finally found the "old xp uploader". Its located at the footer of the upload page next to "legacy"
  • devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited May 17, 2006
    Ginger and Pam,

this is from the current release notes, available here
    • Made the uploader pages look much nicer. It now blends with the design we’re graduallly rolling out to the entire site.
    • Added links to our Mac OS X uploader and Omar Shahine’s SendToSmugMug Windows uploader.
    • Minimized the links to the old broken uploaders we hate so much. icon_smile.gif They’ll probably go away for good once we see how the drag & drop uploader works for everyone.
    It appears that SM is leaning towards most people using the Universal Drag and Drop Uploader.

How you tried it out ? It's actually alot better than the version you are using. Using the Internet Explorer uploader, if you are uploading say 100 images and it fails, you have to upload all the images again. However, if you use the Universal Drag & Drop Uploader, you only have to upload from where the failure occured.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • grannyrobingrannyrobin Registered Users Posts: 134 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2006
    ginger_55 wrote:

I don't know what the upload was called, it was the third one down, I think. I have windows XP.

I redid my photos, going to use the superslow one for idiots, just want to go to bed now!1

g
    Hi Ginger,
    Yes, we changed our uploaders. I myself am very fond of the first one on our new list... the one we sometimes call the green smuggy, but that's officially called the Universal Drag and Drop.

I'm able this morning to select photos from a folder by using shift+click, then dragging the pics onto the green smuggy, and having them move right into my gallery. If you decide to try it, I wouldn't suggest dragging the whole folder, though. Just the pictures in the folder.

I can see that it could be quite a surprise in the wee small hours of the morning to find that things had suddenly shifted on you. I'm sorry you experienced that shock. You weren't hallucinating, though.

Our help page on the green smuggy is here. http://www.smugmug.com/help/upload-pictures
    -grannyrobin
  • grannyrobingrannyrobin Registered Users Posts: 134 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2006
    Pam7 wrote:
    Downloaded the software, installed it, but yet it seems not to work. Right clicked on my image, went to "send to" but "send to smugmug" wasn't there.
    Hi Pam,

I love Send to Smugmug! However... when I right-click, I don't see it under "send to" either. Instead, when I right-click I see "Open, Explore, Send to SmugMug"

So it may yet be there, just not quite where you first expected to see it.
    -grannyrobin
  • {JT}{JT} Registered Users Posts: 1,016 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2006
    You will need to install java in order to get the uploader to work:
    http://www.java.com/en/download/index.jsp

You will need to make sure javascript is turned on (should be anyway, otherwise you would not be able to use half of our tools) :)

Also heard that some people think this uploader can only upload one picture at a time. Remember that not only can you select more than one photo when you drag and drop, but that you can still drag and drop photos from other locations while it is uploading.

Lastly - you are still using IE??? http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/
  • Pam7Pam7 Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited May 17, 2006
    {JT} wrote:
    You will need to install java in order to get the uploader to work:
    http://www.java.com/en/download/index.jsp

You will need to make sure javascript is turned on (should be anyway, otherwise you would not be able to use half of our tools) :)

Lastly - you are still using IE??? http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/

I don't think I have installed the Java. Will do that later tonight.

And yes I am still using IE. I'm not sure how firefox will work with my internet provider (or if it matters.) I am sooooo far behind the times that not only do I use IE, I still have dial up. Talk about sloooooww upload speeds.

Thanks to everyone for getting back to me. I had to rush off to work this morning before I read the replies.