Self-portrait for class

dancinkatedancinkate Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
edited May 18, 2006 in People

Comments

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2006
    I think your personal discomfort should be the only reason to stay behind the camera. I think this shot is very nice and you are definitely not hard on the eyes.

Generally speaking, I don't like grain in images, but it works very nicely here - gives the image a touch of yester-year. The only thing I might change is the cropping of the top of your hair - I find that distracting from the rest of the image.

Very nice!thumb.gif
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited May 17, 2006
    dancinkate wrote:
    ... There's a reason I stay on the other side of the camera ...
    69742273-L.jpg

Kate,

You have absolutely no reason to stay behind the camera. You are a very, very good looking woman. You really are pretty. (I reserve "beautiful" for people I know personally, but this image of you is beautiful.)

I am so proud of you putting this image in your gallery. It deserves to be there and stay there as an example of a beautiful photograph.

For those who haven't done it, try to do a serious self portrait. It really is tougher than it looks, for a number of different reasons.

Bravo Kate and "encore" please.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • dancinkatedancinkate Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2006
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited May 17, 2006
    "There's a reason I stay on the other side of the camera"-

well, there might be, but it shouldn't be because of your looks-

I had thought about a self-portrait, but I don't have two days for cloning and the healing brush and the liquify and...and...-
  • GiselleGiselle Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2006
    dancinkate wrote:
    As our final project this week, for my photography class, we had to take a self portrait. That was the only direction, and everything else was up to us, so I chose a certain era. Yeah, I HATED this assignment. There's a reason I stay on the other side of the camera lol3.gif.....but it gave me an appreciation for how uncomfortable subjects can be.

I remember doing that in college too. I hated it, I am much more comfortable behind the camera. You did a great job, and you are a hottie and look very glamorous...but I have to agree with Scott about cropping.
    Giselle
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2006
    Gorgeous portrait. Definitely no reason to hide behind the camera for you! I also agree with the cropping, but really, that's just a mini-nit, it's beautiful as-is.
    thumb.gif
    Chris
  • GiselleGiselle Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2006
    dancinkate wrote:
    As our final project this week, for my photography class, we had to take a self portrait. That was the only direction, and everything else was up to us, so I chose a certain era. Yeah, I HATED this assignment. There's a reason I stay on the other side of the camera lol3.gif.....but it gave me an appreciation for how uncomfortable subjects can be.
    oh yeah, one more thing... do yo uhave one that shows more of your neck? all those glamour girls show lots of long necks, just an idea...

btw - your lighting is right on
    Giselle
    edited May 17, 2006
    edited May 17, 2006
    I surely do like it! Compared to the "glance away", I like this better.

Put them both on your gallery for sure.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2006
    I really like what you came up with using Liz's old photo as inspiration. Like Scott, I'm not generally keen on grain, but it sure works well here. The color is great and I love how you have blended the drape into the background. At first when I viewed it, the necklace kept bugging me. It kept pulling me away from the subject (you). But, I began to think because you are looking away in the shot (no eye contact) it was easy for the necklace to "grab" attention. I see this evening your 2nd photo is not showing up. I looked on your site and saw the black & white one. I do like the eye contact, but definitely prefer the color!!! I think (in the 2nd shot) if your head had been tilted up a tad and to the left (sort of like Liz's!) it would have been a more natural looking pose. You have great eyes and that necklace would not be able to compete if we could see them! Great job, over-all! Oh....and you should have your photo taken more often!!! mwink.gif
  • binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2006
    thumb.gif excellent. the pictures are great, and you are certainly nothing less than b-e-a-utiful.

i guess being in front of the camera ain't so bad afterall, now is it?
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited May 18, 2006
    I think you did a very nice job on an assignment that was difficult for you.
    Way to overcome!

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2006
    saurora wrote:
    You have great eyes and that necklace would not be able to compete if we could see them! Great job, over-all! Oh....and you should have your photo taken more often!!! mwink.gif
    Saurora is completely correct - with you looking into the camera in the second one (thanks for making that work again, BTW), there is no way the neckace even comes close to competing with your wonderful eyes for viewer attention. 15524779-Ti.gif that you should feel free to get back in front of the camera on a more regular basis. Tell you what, if you do it again and post it, I promise to ruin the thread by posting a picture of my fat ugly mug. How's that for dis-incentive?rolleyes1.gif
  • LeDudeLeDude Registered Users Posts: 501 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2006
    Nice photo of a beautiful subject.
    We are the music-makers; and we are the dreamers of dreams.
    ... come along.
    edited May 18, 2006
    edited May 18, 2006
    ... Tell you what, if you do it again and post it, I promise to ruin the thread by posting a picture of my fat ugly mug. How's that for dis-incentive?rolleyes1.gif

Scott,

Let's not clutter up this thread, but I'll start a new one. I bet my ugly mug beats yours any day of the week, and twice on Friday.

I'll start a thread called, "Show us your 'Ugly' mug" in the People forum, and let's see what happens.

We'll have to get creative on rules and qualifications and such, but I'm up to the task. (Scaring little kids might go too far.)

This thread has way too much "purtiness" for us to compete.

Whadayasay? ne_nau.gifheadscratch.gif :uhoh thumb.gif

ziggy53 (the uglinator)
    ziggy53
  • elfving73elfving73 Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2006
    Wow! Absolutely amazing! Both are extraordinary, but the second one blew me away! I just LOVE everything about it - the model, (you!), the composition, the lighting, the post pp. I usually never ask my spouse to come look at pics (because she isn't very interested anyway) but this time I just had to! She actually said "Wow, that's really nice!" :D
    You've done your homework, that's for sure! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Matty
  • leebaseleebase Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2006
    How nice. You are lovely -- and your photoghraphy brings that out.

Lee