how did this happen and how do I fix it-

SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
edited May 19, 2006 in Finishing School
took me forever to see this (not totally surprising to me)-

69976842-L.jpg

it almost looks like my daughter has a five o'clock shadow or some kind of skin problem (which she doesn't)-

would this have happened from pushing the camera to 3200 iso?--maybe she just put makeup on her cheeks and it's accentuating the difference?--

any suggestions as to a fix, if any?--

thanks
george

Comments

• SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited May 17, 2006
    any better? yes? no?-

70133541-L.jpg
  • leuallenleuallen Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited May 17, 2006
    George, no idea what caused it but it can be fixed.

The method I used is fairly complex and really requires the use of a tablet. If your Photoshop skills are above average, I can explain it in detail. It involves the use of a saturation mask (action from G. Mitchell, www.thelightsrightstudio.com), reducing red saturated areas using a blank layer set to color mode with a brush set to Hue and color white, adjusting color in this area using brush set to color and picking colors on above layer, and finally adjusting the density of the effected areas using a 50% gray layer set to overlay and painting with white to lighten and black to darken.

Larry
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2006
    George, I don't know how this happened....but I'm sure I've done it myself!!!! rolleyes1.gif I'm not real adept the more advanced PS skills, but I did a layer adjustment using selective color. I backed off almost 100 percent yellow on the slider. Don't know if this was right or not, but this is what I came up with.....

70148141-L.jpg
  • DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2006
    maybe Neat Image could help it? seems like some noise is adding to the effect...
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

edited May 18, 2006
    thanks larry, saurora. dan'lb-

saurora-that's what I finally got was adjusting on yellow and I think you can see I got about the same-

it got me close-

dan'lb-I'll check out the neatimage-

larry-I'll need some time for yours but I'm going to give it a shot-

thanks again guys-
    george
  • MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2006
    gefillmore wrote:
    thanks larry, saurora. dan'lb-

saurora-that's what I finally got was adjusting on yellow and I think you can see I got about the same-

it got me close-

dan'lb-I'll check out the neatimage-

larry-I'll need some time for yours but I'm going to give it a shot-

thanks again guys-
    george

I notice that the pic doesn't have a color profile assigned to it. Did you try assigning a color profile to see if that helped? I'm liking the results with Apple RGB. Adobe and Wide Gamut make the reds in the skin a little too flourescent for my taste, although they would probably print out fine.
  • Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2006
    Stay away from Adobe RGB if you're displaying for the net. I'd only use Adobe RGB if you've got a reason to use it. If you're posting your pics on smugmug or you are printing from smugmug then you shouldn't be using Adobe RGB at all. Stick with sRGB and you'll be good to go.

I am wondering if part of the issues with the pic could be the color space. ne_nau.gif
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
    edited May 18, 2006
    both of you might be on to something and maybe the high iso really made it show up--

I shoot in argb and ps is in argb-

I like to do my own printing (epson r2400) and I'm very happy with the results--this is a priority for me-

I just recently starting assigning srgb to the pics I'm uploading to the web-definitely an improvement- I might try setting up my camera and ps with srgb and trying several pics all the way thru to the web; but in all likelihood I'll stay with argb-

thanks much-

george
  • Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2006
    gefillmore wrote:
    both of you might be on to something and maybe the high iso really made it show up--

I shoot in argb and ps is in argb-

I like to do my own printing (epson r2400) and I'm very happy with the results--this is a priority for me-

I just recently starting assigning srgb to the pics I'm uploading to the web-definitely an improvement- I might try setting up my camera and ps with srgb and trying several pics all the way thru to the web; but in all likelihood I'll stay with argb-

thanks much-

george

Just set up an action for any shots that you're going to post to the web. argb is bad for web displaying. Obviously you want it for your printer but you don't want it for IE.

Question: Do you shoot raw? If you do you should bring your images out of raw in pro photo rgb and then do all your post stuff in photoshop from there.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
    edited May 19, 2006
    raw?-

always-

after pp in prorgb what?-

convert to srgb for web and argb for print?-

thanks
    george
    edited May 19, 2006
    neat image-

unbelievable job of smoothing out the noise and 'grain'-

70451035-L.jpg

I desaturated the yellows--neat image did not do anything much for the color; then again, I haven't got a full grasp of the program yet-

on to larry's ps steps-