uh-oh ... canon 1ds mark 2

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited November 27, 2004 in Cameras
seems that onecall.com has 40 of them coming in, and so last night i got myself number 25 on the list. why? other than the fact i had a $1500 credit there, i don't know!

shhh - do not tell my wife!

i'm sucked in, by all the glory that is full-frame dslr.
«1

Comments

  • cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2004
    andy wrote:
    seems that onecall.com has 40 of them coming in, and so last night i got myself number 25 on the list. why? other than the fact i had a $1500 credit there, i don't know!

    shhh - do not tell my wife!

    i'm sucked in, by all the glory that is full-frame dslr.
    Your wife will tell you that size is not everything.rolleyes1.gif
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2004
    if i get hit by a bus tonight ...
    somebody please be kind enough to tell my wife that she should sell all my camera gear here and on fred miranda, she could pay the bills for like a year :D

    ... and she wanted me to buy life insurance! bah! lol3.gif
  • gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2004
    Won't "I'm worth it" work?
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2004
    gubbsie - my dw is 5' 3", 102lbs soaking wet ...
    gubbs wrote:
    Won't "I'm worth it" work?
    and yet, she can kick my butt.

    so no, it won't work lol3.gif
  • gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2004
    I've been through this a lot lately and I've found the equity arguement works really well.... how much will the 20d sell for, can you selll your hairdo ??
    I even managed to convince myself that I'm not spending enough on gear :D
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2004
    I hate to say I told you so.... but I told you so! :D
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,897 moderator
    edited October 29, 2004
    andy wrote:
    shhh - do not tell my wife!
    Who eek7.gif

    Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2004
    ::waffle waffle::
    wxwax wrote:
    I hate to say I told you so.... but I told you so! :D

    i laid awake last night wondering about huge raw files, workflow, and wondering if i really want to deal with that. dunno if i want to make this tradeoff yet. sigh.
  • tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2004
    andy wrote:
    i laid awake last night wondering about huge raw files, workflow, and wondering if i really want to deal with that. dunno if i want to make this tradeoff yet. sigh.
    Relax Andy. You just need to upgrage to the fastest computer you can get your hands on and everything will be fine. In a couple of years the average computer will laugh at a 16 MP image.
    Thomas :D

    TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2004
    tmlphoto wrote:
    Relax Andy. You just need to upgrage to the fastest computer you can get your hands on and everything will be fine. In a couple of years the average computer will laugh at a 16 MP image.

    yeah but i'm reading that these raw files open up huuuuuuuuuuuge in photoshop....
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2004
    ::gnashing of teeth is done::
    i've decided to wait.

    instead, i'm going to invest in some more lights, stands, umbrellas, and re-buy the canon 100mm macro lens that i tried for a week.

    there. i feel better.

    sort of...
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2004
    andy wrote:
    i've decided to wait.

    instead, i'm going to invest in some more lights, stands, umbrellas, and re-buy the canon 100mm macro lens that i tried for a week.

    there. i feel better.

    sort of...
    lol3.gif I give it 6 months. :D That camera is your dream: full frame sensor, fantastic resolution, huge prints... naughty.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    lol3.gif I give it 6 months. :D That camera is your dream: full frame sensor, fantastic resolution, huge prints... naughty.gif

    it's funny. i'm not normally one to avoid spending. heck, i've had three different dslrs in 6 months....

    but i'm unable to rationalize this ... yet!.

    i think yer right, sid. it shan't be long, but for now, i'm blowing $2 grand on more glass, accessories, lighting equipment, etc.

    i have no complaints whatsoever about the 20d at this point, and when i examined a 1/2 dozen laaarge prints from my 20d this morning, with a magnifying glass, i still had nothing to complain about :)

    however, the full frame resolving power does draw me in. here's a very cool shot from a kodak slr/c full frame camera. such detail.... hoo boy. *******warning, the file linked is most large ***********

    i guess, the rational side of me won out today. go figure!
  • tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2004
    andy wrote:
    it's funny. i'm not normally one to avoid spending. heck, i've had three different dslrs in 6 months....

    but i'm unable to rationalize this ... yet!.

    i think yer right, sid. it shan't be long, but for now, i'm blowing $2 grand on more glass, accessories, lighting equipment, etc.

    i have no complaints whatsoever about the 20d at this point, and when i examined a 1/2 dozen laaarge prints from my 20d this morning, with a magnifying glass, i still had nothing to complain about :)

    however, the full frame resolving power does draw me in. here's a very cool shot from a kodak slr/c full frame camera. such detail.... hoo boy. *******warning, the file linked is most large ***********

    i guess, the rational side of me won out today. go figure!
    How about a used/new/nearly new 1Ds? I wonder what they are worth now?
    Thomas :D

    TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2004
    tmlphoto wrote:
    How about a used/new/nearly new 1Ds? I wonder what they are worth now?

    thought about it, but the noise at the higher isos isn't up to the quality of the 20d/1dmk2 or what the 1ds mk2 is touted to be.
  • tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2004
    andy wrote:
    thought about it, but the noise at the higher isos isn't up to the quality of the 20d/1dmk2 or what the 1ds mk2 is touted to be.
    I found one on FM for $4600 asking, mint condition. Buy it and keep your 20D.
    The link is here: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/146078

    Heres another that sold for 4200 asking with 550ex thrown in. Only 500 shots taken. http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/145898/0#1178722

    Very tempting!
    Thomas :D

    TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2004
    andy wrote:
    i laid awake last night wondering about huge raw files, workflow, and wondering if i really want to deal with that. dunno if i want to make this tradeoff yet. sigh.
    You'll love it. You can shoot jpg+raw with highest quality jpegs. Then you can have a simplified workflow based on the jpegs and keep the raws for those times when you really need exposure correction or wide dynamic range.

    There is some function that sets the wb balance button (right under your thumb with both the vertical and horizontal shutter) to "center point focus". With this you can leave the camera in full 45 point focus (mostly works great) and just switch to center point when you need it.) This is my favorite 1dmkii tip.

    Yes, it's huge. But screw it. Think of it as a medium format camera.
    If not now, when?
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    You'll love it. You can shoot jpg+raw with highest quality jpegs. Then you can have a simplified workflow based on the jpegs and keep the raws for those times when you really need exposure correction or wide dynamic range.

    There is some function that sets the wb balance button (right under your thumb with both the vertical and horizontal shutter) to "center point focus". With this you can leave the camera in full 45 point focus (mostly works great) and just switch to center point when you need it.) This is my favorite 1dmkii tip.

    Yes, it's huge. But screw it. Think of it as a medium format camera.

    i actually opted to put this off, rutt. yeah, i'm still lusting iloveyou.gif over the ff, but i'm going to wait. for my photography, the 20d isn't limiting to me, so instead right now, i chose to spend the $$ on new lighting and lenses, and also a new roof for my home lol3.gif honey is happy about that!
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2004
    andy wrote:
    i actually opted to put this off, rutt. yeah, i'm still lusting iloveyou.gif over the ff, but i'm going to wait. for my photography, the 20d isn't limiting to me, so instead right now, i chose to spend the $$ on new lighting and lenses, and also a new roof for my home lol3.gif honey is happy about that!
    Once again, I misread you. I thought you were buying a 1dmkii, not the idsmkii. I don't think I would buy an S vs the 1dmkii if I were you (basically not a studio photographer, right?)

    Jeff Hirsch's advice to me: wait for a full frame camera the size of a 10D and/or something that addresses the dynamic range issues of digital. Maybe 2 years for both. Jeff predicts that the next generation of Canon DSLRs will have a system for greatly improved dynamic range and that the next big improvement in the midrange line will be full frame sensors.
    If not now, when?
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2004
    of dynamic range
    rutt wrote:
    Once again, I misread you. I thought you were buying a 1dmkii, not the idsmkii. I don't think I would buy an S vs the 1dmkii if I were you (basically not a studio photographer, right?)

    Jeff Hirsch's advice to me: wait for a full frame camera the size of a 10D and/or something that addresses the dynamic range issues of digital. Maybe 2 years for both. Jeff predicts that the next generation of Canon DSLRs will have a system for greatly improved dynamic range and that the next big improvement in the midrange line will be full frame sensors.

    i've progressed from a rebel thru 10d and now 20d. the dr has improved with each, i've no doubt that the dr will be even better in the coming years.

    and yeah, i want the ff (form factor) of a 20d with a ff (full frame) sensor :D

    thanks rutt!

    ps: lights, studio equipment on the way as we speak !
  • patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2004
    andy wrote:
    ps: lights, studio equipment on the way as we speak !

    What kind of lights did you get? ear.gif
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2004
    patch29 wrote:
    What kind of lights did you get? ear.gif

    put a lot of research into this. after all said and done, i opted for

    two 420ex to complement my 580ex
    lightstands (manfrotto)
    48" umbrellas (shoot-thru)
    a softbox
    clamps etc.

    why this route, and not alien bees or similar? well, portability i think. the 420s work wirelessly with the 580ex. cost-wise this is fairly inexpensive for a three-light setup, since i already planned on having the 580ex.

    i'll share some results, soon :D
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,897 moderator
    edited November 2, 2004
    What about reflectors or "aux" power source?

    Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2004
    andy wrote:
    put a lot of research into this. after all said and done, i opted for

    two 420ex to complement my 580ex
    lightstands (manfrotto)
    48" umbrellas (shoot-thru)
    a softbox
    clamps etc.

    why this route, and not alien bees or similar? well, portability i think. the 420s work wirelessly with the 580ex. cost-wise this is fairly inexpensive for a three-light setup, since i already planned on having the 580ex.

    i'll share some results, soon :D

    Cool. I was wondering if you were kicking down for some slick Profoto gear. naughty.gif

    I use 3-550EX's at the moment and hope to add a 580EX.

    I have a bracket to mount two 550EX's and CP-E2 battery packs and shoot them into an umbrella if you are interested in seeing it. It is not cheap, but works very well.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2004
    patch29 wrote:
    Cool. I was wondering if you were kicking down for some slick Profoto gear. naughty.gif

    I use 3-550EX's at the moment and hope to add a 580EX.

    I have a bracket to mount two 550EX's and CP-E2 battery packs and shoot them into an umbrella if you are interested in seeing it. It is not cheap, but works very well.

    yes, can you share a pic of the setup?
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2004
    ian408 wrote:
    What about reflectors or "aux" power source?

    Ian

    i have one reflector now, and i'll wait on the aux pwr until i really need it. good points!
  • patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2004
    andy wrote:
    yes, can you share a pic of the setup?

    I did some quick shots of the setup and posted them in this gallery. Let me know if you have any questions or need a different angle. It is nice to be able to swivel the flash toward your camera so it will pick up the wireless signal easier. I wonder how much bigger the CP-E3 and if it will fit easily. ne_nau.gif When I get a 580EX/CP-E3 combo it will most likely be my on camera unit anyway, so it won't matter. I assume you can buy it from them directly, I bought mine locally.
  • cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2004
    patch29 wrote:
    I did some quick shots of the setup and posted them in this gallery. Let me know if you have any questions or need a different angle. It is nice to be able to swivel the flash toward your camera so it will pick up the wireless signal easier. I wonder how much bigger the CP-E3 and if it will fit easily. ne_nau.gif When I get a 580EX/CP-E3 combo it will most likely be my on camera unit anyway, so it won't matter. I assume you can buy it from them directly, I bought mine locally.
    Wow! How much $$$ have you got in that setup. Preferably breaking out the costs of the flashes.
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    Wow! How much $$$ have you got in that setup. Preferably breaking out the costs of the flashes.

    Less than I have in Profoto gear naughty.gifdeal.gif but I use the Canon setup more simply because I need no wires or power.


    These are all approximate:

    Stand $100
    Bracket $150 (can't really remember)
    umbrella $50.00
    total $300.00

    2-550EX $700.00
    2-CP-E2 $120.00
    20-AA Nimh & chargers $50.00
    total $870.00

    Grand total: $1170.00
  • lubenluben Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited November 2, 2004
    andy wrote:
    seems that onecall.com has 40 of them coming in, and so last night i got myself number 25 on the list. why? other than the fact i had a $1500 credit there, i don't know!

    shhh - do not tell my wife!

    i'm sucked in, by all the glory that is full-frame dslr.
    Are you serious, or are you just playing?
    >>>> Luben - www.solev.net <<<<
Sign In or Register to comment.