Drag and Drop java a pain

NetgardenNetgarden Registered Users Posts: 829 Major grins
edited May 23, 2006 in SmugMug Support
We may have no choice so I apologize if that's true, but the new drag and drop upload is really inferior to the previous. When people are draging and dropping in sequence and then half of them don't upload properly we have to go back in, FIND the missing ones, [no quick glance at file names anymore, just a list of thumbnails, with ones missing now--but nothing to check which ones are missing]. Then we have to go back to our files, find the missing ones, drag&upload them again, [try] and then go back and rearrange the albums so the correct pictures are side by side.

A real time consumer. Not only that but when dragging, you can't see previous file numbers in the drag workspace live to make sure you havn't forgot any, you have to stop procedures and go check. It's really undesireble. Especially for people who work fast, for various reasons including neck problems. Having to do things over is really a pia.

Will there be any improvement on this do you know? Thanks. I appreciate it.

Comments

• ThandoThando Registered Users Posts: 148 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2006
    Netgarden wrote:
    We may have no choice so I apologize if that's true, but the new drag and drop upload is really inferior to the previous. When people are draging and dropping in sequence and then half of them don't upload properly we have to go back in, FIND the missing ones, [no quick glance at file names anymore, just a list of thumbnails, with ones missing now--but nothing to check which ones are missing]. Then we have to go back to our files, find the missing ones, drag&upload them again, [try] and then go back and rearrange the albums so the correct pictures are side by side.

A real time consumer. Not only that but when dragging, you can't see previous file numbers in the drag workspace live to make sure you havn't forgot any, you have to stop procedures and go check. It's really undesireble. Especially for people who work fast, for various reasons including neck problems. Having to do things over is really a pia.

Will there be any improvement on this do you know? Thanks. I appreciate it.

We have had a few complaints about the Universal Drag and Drop not working properly. Usually it is our best uploader and it has been a little sad to see a good uploader the cause of grief. We'll definitely take a look at it and see what's going on.

For all of you who love the old Windows Drag and Drop, it's still there. We've more appropriately renamed it the "Internet Explorer". It's found at the bottom of the uploader selection page where it says "Legacy Uploaders".

We'll hopefully get it up and running properly again.
  • NetgardenNetgarden Registered Users Posts: 829 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2006
    Thando wrote:
    We have had a few complaints about the Universal Drag and Drop not working properly. Usually it is our best uploader and it has been a little sad to see a good uploader the cause of grief. We'll definitely take a look at it and see what's going on.

For all of you who love the old Windows Drag and Drop, it's still there. We've more appropriately renamed it the "Internet Explorer". It's found at the bottom of the uploader selection page where it says "Legacy Uploaders".

We'll hopefully get it up and running properly again.
    Thats great to know Thando, thats its still available. I'll get back to using it then. Thanks alot, and thanks for looking in to this. I think the problem may be that for the most part, if you drop too quickly it misses a few. So it is a little slower than the Windows one.
    thanks again.
  • BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited May 18, 2006
    Netgarden wrote:
    We may have no choice so I apologize if that's true, but the new drag and drop upload is really inferior to the previous.
    Hi Netgarden,

Ouch, I'm sorry to hear the Universal uploader is giving you grief. It's actually not new; it's been in beta for about a year and is generally the easiest for our customers to use and for us to support. I'm really sorry that isn't the case for your machine.

Something is going wrong with either your connection, security software, or Java that is affecting the Universal uploader. There are a couple of things to try that have worked well for some other people we've seen in your situation.

One is to go to DSL Reports and do a line quality test. The #3 item in this help section describes how to do it:

http://www.smugmug.com/help/problems

Another is to try Send To SmugMug or StarExplorer, both of which seem to be very error-resistant:

http://wiki.shahine.com/default.aspx/MyWiki.SendToSmugMug
    http://www.starexplorer.com/

Of course, you can continue to use the Windows Drag & Drop uploader, it's just that it's limited to 100 MB batches.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Chris
  • jhgravesjhgraves Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited May 18, 2006
    Uploading MPG files
    I too am having problems with the new uploads. Glad to know you still have the old upload (now listed as Interner Explorer). However, I am now having problems uploading MPG video files. Which uploader should I use for videos

Jack
    jhgraves.smugmug.com
  • BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited May 18, 2006
    Hi Jack,

Use the standard uploader (the one on the bottom) for MPG files. Sorry that's not clear and it's a pain.

Baldy
    edited May 18, 2006
    Baldy wrote:
    Hi Jack, (don't say that at the airport rolleyes1.gifLaughing.gif)

Use the standard uploader (the one on the bottom) for MPG files. Sorry that's not clear and it's a pain.

Baldy

That works, but how do I upload a batch of files? Do I have to upload each individual file? If I have several, it's a pain to have to select each one individually. Also, I noticed that if I by mistake try to upload the wrong type of file (say .AVI file), the uploader starts the upload but takes a long long time before it tells me the upload was not made because it was the wrong type of file. In the old Internet Explorer (Now in the Legecy selection) I could upload MPG files as well as JPEG

Thanks for your help,
    Jack
  • BenBen Vanilla Admin Posts: 513 SmugMug Employee
    edited May 18, 2006
    jhgraves wrote:
    That works, but how do I upload a batch of files? Do I have to upload each individual file? If I have several, it's a pain to have to select each one individually. Also, I noticed that if I by mistake try to upload the wrong type of file (say .AVI file), the uploader starts the upload but takes a long long time before it tells me the upload was not made because it was the wrong type of file. In the old Internet Explorer (Now in the Legecy selection) I could upload MPG files as well as JPEG

Thanks for your help,
    Jack

Hi Jack,

For the new Drag and Drop, just drag the batch in at once. Just click and drag to select them all (or hold down shift when clicking to select them, or alternatively hold down alt while selecting each individual file to create a group). You can drop in as many as you want.

Very shortly (hopefully) there should be functionality to add videos to the uploader as well.

-Ben
    Smug since 2003
    edited May 18, 2006
    Ben wrote:
    Hi Jack,

For the new Drag and Drop, just drag the batch in at once. Just click and drag to select them all (or hold down shift when clicking to select them, or alternatively hold down alt while selecting each individual file to create a group). You can drop in as many as you want.

Very shortly (hopefully) there should be functionality to add videos to the uploader as well.

-Ben

Hi Ben,

I had no problems dropping a group of JPG files using the new Drag and Drop uploader, just could not do MPG. Until the new Drag and Drop uploader can also upload MPG, I will continue to use the "Standard" uploader for my videos.

Thanks for all of the help
    Jack
    edited May 19, 2006
    jhgraves wrote:

Thanks for your help,
    Jack

I wrote the above message last night while the wrong type (.AVI) file was uploading using the new uploader. I said it takes a long long time before it tells me that it was the wrong type of file. Actually, it never told me it was the wrong type of file. Nine hours later, the upload was still running this morning with no error message that the wrong kind of file was trying to be uploaded. I had to close it down to stop the upload

Jack
    edited May 22, 2006
    thank Ben, btw I did get to the Internet explorer drag and drop choice and it automatically takes me to it now like before, so thanks alot for the help. No probs.

One more question though,
    do you know if we have a choice in the type of page we get when clicking on the sizes of a file like medium or Original, etc? I prefered a separate window and the Original size was much easier to scroll on. [I look at alot of large files for photography]. And also it was easier before, like when I need 4 files to post somewhere I could open all of them and have separate windows for each of them and did not have to backspace to be on my main album. Also was easier for family to look at my pictures. Any change I can do to get back to original format of separate photos? thanks
  • FrancoisFrancois Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2006
    Baldy wrote:
    Hi Netgarden,

Ouch, I'm sorry to hear the Universal uploader is giving you grief. It's actually not new; it's been in beta for about a year and is generally the easiest for our customers to use and for us to support. I'm really sorry that isn't the case for your machine.

Something is going wrong with either your connection, security software, or Java that is affecting the Universal uploader. There are a couple of things to try that have worked well for some other people we've seen in your situation.

One is to go to DSL Reports and do a line quality test. The #3 item in this help section describes how to do it:

http://www.smugmug.com/help/problems

Another is to try Send To SmugMug or StarExplorer, both of which seem to be very error-resistant:

http://wiki.shahine.com/default.aspx/MyWiki.SendToSmugMug
    http://www.starexplorer.com/

Of course, you can continue to use the Windows Drag & Drop uploader, it's just that it's limited to 100 MB batches.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Chris

Netgarden is not the only one with problems.
    To me too it was an unpleasant surprise one morning to find a new uploader as 'default'..... one that refuses to work !! I drag and drop.... and then nothing ......

Have the latest Java, run on a 2 Mbit Internet connection... I am baffled.

Fortunately I foud the 'old' way and am using that ever since.. didn't have time to 'complain' here, been too busy.
    One thing that is changed on the Old Windows Drag-n-Drop, is that after uploading the files the LINK to the gallery is not shown on the same page anymore. So I now have to click the Backwards button of the browser twice or so to get back to where I see the pictures I just uploaded.

I agree with other posters.... any change is not always an improvement rolleyes1.gif

François
    Francois A. Dumas
    Founder
    Silver Cloud Publishing
    fssupport.smugmug.com
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2006
    Francois wrote:
    is that after uploading the files the LINK to the gallery is not shown on the same page anymore. So I now have to click the Backwards button of the browser twice or so to get back to where I see the pictures I just uploaded.

Really sorry that you can't get the Univ D&D to work - if you like, please write to us at the help desk and we'll trouble shoot that for you - it's a wonderful uploader when you have it going.

The other issue is very strange, and I've reported it. Thanks for bringing that up.
    edited May 23, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Really sorry that you can't get the Univ D&D to work - if you like, please write to us at the help desk and we'll trouble shoot that for you - it's a wonderful uploader when you have it going.

The other issue is very strange, and I've reported it. Thanks for bringing that up.

Francois, if you click on the first uploaded photo thumbnail on the list it will take you to the album. Saves the backspacing. [I know what you mean, I used to go back that way too, but this is pretty much the same thing]thumb.gif
  • ghealyghealy Registered Users Posts: 247 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2006
    Add comment about the new uploader being a PITA
    Luckily I was able to find the old 'legacy' uploader. Is there any way to make it (the legacy version) our default uploader?

I do not want nor need any updated JAVA on my PC at home and at work all JAVA is disabled for secuirty reasons. Many of my friends and family also cannot view my large images as it also seems to use JAVA to do the popup window.

I've had to change my theme to traditional so I can see the larger images without the pop-ups.

Do I take it that more and more of the viewing and navigation on SMUGMUG is being converted to JAVA?

Sorry if I'm sounding too aggressive. One of the reasons I chose SMUGMUG was because I really liked the look and feel of the site, the ease of navigation, etc.

I find that changing. Changes that for me are not necessarily for the better.

Sorry if these comments are harsh. But I just had to give some feedback on what is becoming an annoyance.

Thanks for listening.
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2006
    I found the legacy thing, too. I did not download the Java thing as there was just an X where the box on the right was. I was too busy at the time to mess with it.

I did try, though, a bit.

Since then I have had the blue screen once, probably unrelated. I took an external hard drive off, hoping that was the cause of the blue screen. (It was full)

But I certainly do not want to go around uploading or downloading programs, browsers, or whatevers right now. I am hoping to just continue to function.

Please............

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.