1.4x TC woes

BBonesBBones Registered Users Posts: 580 Major grins
edited May 19, 2006 in Cameras
What happened??!!? I am using a 1D Mark 2 and commonly with the 70-200 IS L 2.8 with the 1.4x TC attached. This past Monday, 2/3rd of the way through my shoot it starts displaying "00" for the F Stop setting and won't work.

I go home, do the pencil eraser trick, put it all together and no problems.

Today I go out for a shoot, get 2 pictures into the shoot and the same problem happens. I snap on the 24-70 L 2.8...no problems. Snap on the 70-200 IS L 2.8 with no TC on it...no problems.

Help is NEEDED if you know of something. I have had this body since January and had no issues with this configuration.

Comments

• ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2006
    I had something similar happen to me at Bryce canyon with my 20D and 17-85. The lens had somehow come uncoupled very slightly from the camera. I twisted it back on and it started to work again. It was very cold, so that could have contributed.

Maybe your TC got damaged somehow? You could try going to a camera shop and test drive another TC for a few shots and see if the same thing happens.

At least it doesn't appear to be the camera, a TC is much cheaper to replace.
    Chris
  • USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2006
    Brand new just out of the box and same lens 70-200 f2.8 L IS and it did the same thing on my 20D.
    This winter I had to take battery out to reset camera lots of times(because of camera errors)
    Had non-Canon battery in the 20D...with the Canon battery in it didn't do it as much so... ne_nau.gif
    Could it be battery trouble ?
    Starting to wonder about after market batteries

Fred
  • PezpixPezpix Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2006
    Well, FWIW, the only time I've recieved that dreaded message is after I dropped my 24-70 lens like an idiot and burned out the motor. When I would reattach it to my IDMII it would give the same readings and I was out of luck. All I can say is, find a reciept, and send that puppy out to the Canon repair shop in Irvine, CA and see what they can do for you. That's the only option I had as well.

Remember, if you have had that gear for less than 14 months, its covered under warranty as well thumb.gif
    Professional Ancient Smugmug Shutter Geek
    Master Of Sushi Noms
    Amateur CSS Dork
  • JacksmynameJacksmyname Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited May 18, 2006
    There was quite a long thread about the 70-200 IS L 2.8 and the error on Rob Galbraith's forum. LOTS of people with the same problem on that lens.
    If I recall, some sent the lens in for service and the IS was replaced.

Jack
  • BBonesBBones Registered Users Posts: 580 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2006
    Didn't drop it, just happened in the middle of shooting.

Real Canon battery

70-200 lens works just fine so long as the TC is not connected. If I connect it to the camera I can get a shot or 2 in and then it goes back to "00"
  • luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2006
    I have had the exact same error with the 70-200IS and 400/5.6L lenses with the 1.4x on a 1DII.

I turn off the camera, release the lens with the button, turn the lens and 1.4x just enough to break the connection, turn it back to click lock, then turn the camera back on.

I find that there is a teeny tiny bit of play in the 1.4x when mounted to the body. It seems just enough to break the connection. It gets VERY frustrating.

Though I know of no solution, when I pick up the combo with the 1.4x I make sure to pull the lens in towards the camera body to ensure a good fit.

p.s.- I am coming back off of active duty very shortly, will be back on the boards more I hope. :>