Painting with Light

HiggmeisterHiggmeister Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
edited May 20, 2006 in Holy Macro
Hi All,
It's been awhile since I posted last. I check in often, just haven't had time to take pictures and post as of the last few months (I miss it too). I don't know if this topic has been explored here, but thought I'd post it anyways for those who may be interested.

I was inspired by Troy Paiva (http://lostamerica.com/) to try some full moon shots with color painting. DRT-Maverick and myself went to an old industrial site to do some night shots. All didn't go as planned; took the wrong turn and it took an additional hour to get there plus the moon didn't come up till after 9 pm. So we didn't get the moon night shots, but here is a sample of what we did get.

This shot was taken at 30 seconds (should have been longer to remove the grainy sky) in RAW. We both walked to the structure and used color filters on our flash units to illuminate the scene. It took a bit of trial and error to get this shot. I used a Sigma EF-500DG Super and Tyler used a comparable Pentax flash, both at full power strobed continuously.
60269522.jpg

I do have a few others that came out but are about 300K each in size so I'll keep this post bandwidth friendly. Here is a link to the others if interested:
http://www.pbase.com/higgmeister/virginia_city

The other light source we used for large areas was a 1 million candle power spotlight. We placed colored cellophane over the light and painted the scene with different colors.

We had loads of fun with this and will be doing it again.

Hey to all the regs and hope to get time and motivation to come home again (picture taking and posting on DGrin).

Thanks for looking,
Chris

A picture is but words to the eyes.
Comments are always welcome.

www.pbase.com/Higgmeister

Comments

• DRT-MaverickDRT-Maverick Registered Users Posts: 476 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2006
    Your camera did a lot better than mine, mine came out fuzzy. Next time I'm going to bring film.

Rather than fuzzy, I would say snowy.
    Pentax K20D 14.6mp Body : Pentax *ist D 6.1mp Body : Pentax ZX10 Body : 180mm Sigma Macro EX lens : 18-55mm Pentax SMC DA Lens : 28-200mm Sigma Lens : 50-500mm Sigma APO DG EX lens : Pentax AF-500FTZ flash : Sigma EX 2x Teleconverter.
  • JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2006
    60269522.jpg

Thanks for looking,
    Chris

Those are some pretty cool shots. thumb.gif
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2006
    Very cool - all the shotsthumb.gif

But the Kiosk one is my favorite!
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2006
    Great intresting photos
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • HiggmeisterHiggmeister Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2006
    Hey Tyler,
    How'd your RAW shots come out? I was originally waiting for you to post and finally posted myself. So, when do you want to give this another try? I'm thinking on buying the 15 million candle power light from Costco and go out there again.

If there is anyone in the Reno area interested in going out there, let me know.

Later
    Chris
    Your camera did a lot better than mine, mine came out fuzzy. Next time I'm going to bring film.

Rather than fuzzy, I would say snowy.

• HiggmeisterHiggmeister Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2006
    Thanks Jeff, John and Awais
    for the comments. Just trying to share some fun and having a bit of fun at the same time.

Thanks Again,
    Chris