1955 Chev with accessories

gneufeldgneufeld Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
edited May 29, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
I will be away until Monday. Please let me know what you think of this.

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited May 18, 2006
    gneufeld wrote:

Got a good laugh out of it. Definitely fits the bill. thumb.gif

Cheers,
  • LeDudeLeDude Registered Users Posts: 501 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2006
    definitely a keeper!

The concept is all there, so I would work on sprucing it up... as it stands it looks a little dull (color-wise) so try applying some curve and contrast adjustments. There are some bright spots in the reflection off the window that you might want to rid yourself of, though I'd keep the reflection generally. Others will give better advice along these lines, I'm not the best at this stuff.

I like the blue-gold (they work for nostalgiac), but I'd give b&w / toned versions a whirl, just to see what I see.

Summation: Great start, time now to make it pop!

[edit: after further inspection, consideration...

-unsharp will help make that chrome sparkle and should take the slight blurriness out of "Bel Air"
    -not so sure about that reflection anymore - get rid of it? especially because of those white spots my eyes are too drawn to it
    -the bra is clearly the hook here and is the focal point... however, that it is nearly dead-center makes it overpowering. there are other interesting aspects to the photo and a composition change might help to create some balance. can we see more of the front of the car?
    -can this be taken again? this isn't your fault, but the sky is less than compelling and yet I see too much going on for a pure backdrop. maybe reshoot on a day with more blue in the sky? maybe just a cloud or two floating about?
    -yet another alternative: shoot at night... not sure of the logistics here, but it might tell a better story too... but hey, I don't mean to mess with your memories :) ]
    We are the music-makers; and we are the dreamers of dreams.
    ... come along.
  • gneufeldgneufeld Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited May 18, 2006
    Thank you for spending so much time on my shot. I may not be able to re-shoot. I had wanted to shoot at night but the opportuntity was not there. I have other shots but the day was so bright that the effect was lost in most of them.

I agree with your suggestions especially the reflections. I'll work on it when I get back.

Thanks again, Glenn

I'm glad it got a laugh also.
  • firedancing4lifefiredancing4life Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2006
    can you take a picture of what's in the car? rolleyes1.gif

I'm with dude...pop that bizzznesss. Lighten it a bit...

I like it.
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2006
    This is a great concept... Just punch it up a bit...

My grandfather had a green '57 Chevy. Beautiful cars...
    Chris
  • vangoghvangogh Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2006
    gneufeld wrote:

This is supposed to be a family friendly site!! mwink.gif lol

Surely you could find somewhere else to hang you washing rolleyes1.gif
    Nicola
    Iconic Creative
    http://iconiccreative.smugmug.com

"To be creative means the ability to remain thirsty and to want more, never be content...you keep on seeing, discovering and understanding the joy of creativity"
    Raghu Rai
  • twinbnjtwinbnj Registered Users Posts: 271 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2006
    What a great idea - executed wonderfuly. Agree with the suggestions made already.
  • robinsphotosrobinsphotos Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited May 19, 2006
    This is a great idea! Really like it...and agree with everyone's suggestions...Good Luck!
  • CharbuCharbu Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited May 19, 2006
    Great subject matter. I agree with LeDude, should be a great photo when you put the final touches on it.
  • erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2006
    LeDude wrote:
    definitely a keeper!

The concept is all there, so I would work on sprucing it up... as it stands it looks a little dull (color-wise) so try applying some curve and contrast adjustments. There are some bright spots in the reflection off the window that you might want to rid yourself of, though I'd keep the reflection generally. Others will give better advice along these lines, I'm not the best at this stuff.

I like the blue-gold (they work for nostalgiac), but I'd give b&w / toned versions a whirl, just to see what I see.

Summation: Great start, time now to make it pop!

[edit: after further inspection, consideration...

-unsharp will help make that chrome sparkle and should take the slight blurriness out of "Bel Air"
    -not so sure about that reflection anymore - get rid of it? especially because of those white spots my eyes are too drawn to it
    -the bra is clearly the hook here and is the focal point... however, that it is nearly dead-center makes it overpowering. there are other interesting aspects to the photo and a composition change might help to create some balance. can we see more of the front of the car?
    -can this be taken again? this isn't your fault, but the sky is less than compelling and yet I see too much going on for a pure backdrop. maybe reshoot on a day with more blue in the sky? maybe just a cloud or two floating about?
    -yet another alternative: shoot at night... not sure of the logistics here, but it might tell a better story too... but hey, I don't mean to mess with your memories :) ]

15524779-Ti.gif You may want to see if you can process the image so the colors look like those from 50's film.
  • sayntbrigidsayntbrigid Registered Users Posts: 381 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2006
    rolleyes1.gif

Its wonderfull.......even just as it is :D
    True happiness is wanting what you have
    http://avatars.imvu.com/sayntbrigidii
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2006
    Classic colors. My parents had a '57 Belair this color combo. More than anything, you need to lighten this up and pop with curves like everyone has suggested. Depending on your PS skills, there are clouds in the sky...you just can't see them. You might want to clone out the reflection on the bottom of the door panel (under "Belair") as it is not as attractive as other reflections. I played with this in black/white and frankly, it did not do much for the shot. I did, however, use OptikVerve Virtual Photographer "reminiscing" action on it (a brown tone) and it looked awesome. My preference was to stick with the classic colors. Something you guys in particular might not have considered, instead of sharpening, using a very limited Filter>distort>diffuse glow gives this car a very romantic and nostalgic quality. It also lightens up some of the yellowness ... takes you right back to the 50's!!! Good luck - great image! :D
    edited May 20, 2006
    saurora wrote:
    Classic colors. My parents had a '57 Belair this color combo. More than anything, you need to lighten this up and pop with curves like everyone has suggested. Depending on your PS skills, there are clouds in the sky...you just can't see them. You might want to clone out the reflection on the bottom of the door panel (under "Belair") as it is not as attractive as other reflections. I played with this in black/white and frankly, it did not do much for the shot. I did, however, use OptikVerve Virtual Photographer "reminiscing" action on it (a brown tone) and it looked awesome. My preference was to stick with the classic colors. Something you guys in particular might not have considered, instead of sharpening, using a very limited Filter>distort>diffuse glow gives this car a very romantic and nostalgic quality. It also lightens up some of the yellowness ... takes you right back to the 50's!!! Good luck - great image! :D

I noticed that too, right under the belair......I was thinking about maybe cropping it up to the chrome there to get rid of that.......just a thought I had :):
    edited May 23, 2006
    I am blown away by the comments and the time others have spent on my behalf. Thank you all. I guess I had better get to work on it.

Glenn
  • mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2006
    I love photographing cars too :):

I think you shoudl try to show more of the car rather than just the bel aire badge. Those cars are meant to be shown in full rather than just a mere piece.

Also, I like your sexy idea of putting a panty on the car to relate all the old folks to back in the haydays when going out to the lake/hillside to make out with their girl was the thing, that doesnt happen too often with today's cars rolleyes1.gif. But I think you can work with that by having a girl inside the car modelign for you. She doesnt have to show her face, but maybe show her legs out the window as if she's stretching.

Lastly, post processing helps a lot. I agree with what most here said about using curves. Applying an S curve to the photo will definitely improve the contrast. Do a custom white balance next time if you shoot it again, that way you dont have to mess with PS to correct any color irregularities.

Good luck!
  • wizard444wizard444 Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited May 29, 2006
    I normally don't care much for the car shots, however, this one is exceptional. Especially the entry which shows as of the time of this writing. The brassiere says just enough; more than enough.mwink.gif We don't need to see a model, in fact not seeing in this instance says much more.

Excellent lighting, and the reflections on the interior are suggestive of being down by the lakefront. Your crop works equally well in your favor, showing the detail in the garment and enhancing the detail of the car. Great work!thumb.gif
    "Photographers deal in things which are continually vanishing and when they have vanished there is no contrivance on earth which can make them come back again."

Henri Cartier Bresson
    edited May 29, 2006
    Yes, I think so to, that goes with Saurora's idea, and I like the "close up and personal" nature of this shot, where the main idea is NOT necessarily "the car" :Dclap.gif
  • mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2006
    I'm def glad you retook that shot, with the better lighting, I can see the look you were going for. Very nice.
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2006
    Your entry turned out terrif!!!! This angle is ever so slightly different, but much nicer. This was taken at the same time right? (Or you are a photoshop wizard!) I love what you did to the interior of the car and I was giggling at all the little subtle but effective "changes" you made. Good luck!clap.gif
    edited May 29, 2006
    Its totally wonderfull........and I like the trees too.....makes it more romantic :Dclap.gifclap
  • seek2lurnseek2lurn Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited May 29, 2006
    I think the shot is wonderful just as it is. No Model, No legs, Sometimes just a hint of something speaks volumes...thumb.gif Less is more.
    edited May 29, 2006
    Thank you all very much. I have spent hours trying to make this work and at one point almost gave up. But, because of the time that you all have spent on it, I perservered.

My wife claims she doesn't know where I got the idea.:D

Thanks again.