gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
edited May 28, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
:clap:clap:clapCongratulations To LeDude Winner of Challenge 64 :clap:clap:clap

Thad Wilson on Trumpet
68674218-L-1.jpg

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited May 18, 2006
    Way to go, Rich. thumb.gif Congratulations on a fine pic.

Cheers,
  • rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2006
    Congrats! clap.gif
    Your picture was one of my favorites! thumb.gif

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • LeDudeLeDude Registered Users Posts: 501 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2006
    grazie
    Thank you both... and thank you all, for the votes-of course-and for the help getting the shot processed correctly. It is a testament to the value of participating at DGrin (lurkers, ahem, I'm calling you out), because this was certainly no prize winner when I first posted the shot for critique.

It is hard to express my pride in written word without gushing, so I will just say: I am very proud and honored to be selected from amongst many excellent photographs.

And now, once again, I must ask for some assistance. (I'd post in a more appropriate place, but I'd feel a bit braggadocious in doing so.) I would like to have this printed as large as possible, for framing and display. The picture is roughly 2600x1700 pixels. According to my calculations, with some border extension this will print nicely at 14"x11" (it does not proportion exactly, it is wider than tall, but I need to get a frame, so...). These dimensions will give me a 200 pi/inch resolution. I will resample it, but this would be my starting point.

So, here are my myriad questions:
    1)Are my calcs correct?
    2)Should I utilize 'bicubic' or 'bicubic sharper' (or 'bicubic smoother') when I resample?
    3)Is there something else I can do to improve the print quality besides resampling (I've already unsharp-masked as far as is appropriate)?
    4)Would it be possible to have this look right in a 20"x16" print? Should I consider-and, if so, where would I find-a more appropriately proportioned frame size?

(I read an article relevant to this at Luminous Landscape, but something has changed with the site and I can no longer locate the article.)

Keep in mind, my budget is $40 :D.

Thanks again.

Best Regards,
    Rich
    We are the music-makers; and we are the dreamers of dreams.
    ... come along.
  • Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2006
    Yeh !!!!
    LeDude my friend !!!
    I saw when I voted that you were ahead.
    thumb.gifthumbthumb.gifthumbthumb.gifthumbthumb.gifthumbCongratulations. thumb.gifthumbthumb.gifthumbthumb.gifthumbthumb.gifthumb

(I depart tomorrow morning to Ireland... Oh. I hope to shoot many and nice pictures from this beautiful country)
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2006
    Congratulations on an excellent entry and congratulations to all the finalists as well!!! thumb.gif
  • firedancing4lifefiredancing4life Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2006
    yay for live music!

congrats dude.
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2006
    I always did like that photo. Congratulations,

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2006
    congratz Richthumb.gif lookin forward to D.C. with ya this summer
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• ultravoxultravox Registered Users Posts: 776 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2006
    clap.gifclapclap.gif
    :):
    Cristian.
    [SIZE=-1]It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice. - John Lennon.[/SIZE]
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2006
    Congratulations LeDude clap.gif exceptional work !
    edited May 19, 2006
    Thanks all... and Ultravox I know I had your vote-word up to my photo's biggest fan.

So here's a little story that I oughta tell....

The night I took the shot I was at JoJo's with a lady friend. Because of this, I decided to show off a bit and said, "hey, Thad, you don't mind any pictures do you?" (I had already asked this on two previous occassions, but it is my policy to ask...mwink.gif) Standing at the bar and about to order a drink (coffee I think), he replied with a nod, 'yes.' A second later, now distracted from his drink ordering and thoroughly helping me impress my lady friend he shouted, "but I want 50% royalties." Of course, I obliged with the remark, "no problem, 50% of zero is all yours."

So guess where I was tonight? Early to JoJo's. And, sitting at the bar, handing my man a smoke-apparently breaking a quitting streak by the reaction of the fine looking lady at the end of bar-I said, "Thad, I think I owe you twenty bucks." He looked a bit befuddled, so I recounted our two to three weeks prior exchange quickly and said, I won a little competition and was awarded a $40 prize.

His reply? "Merry Christmas." Indeed. His performance was stellar as usual.

I wish you all lived in DC. We'd have a rockin' good time, and it's always nice to know good folks like the people at DGrin. And seriously, though I thought it always a bit fake when I read other's write this after past competitions, congratulations to all the participants. As per the rules, I couldn't vote for my own shot... but even if I could, I would have had a tremendously hard time pulling the trigger.

peace...love...music,
    LeDude

p.s. Daniel, this is the kind of show I'm talking about bringing you to when you visit. I think your folks (Ma and Grandpa?) would enjoy it too. And, btw, some hella mature comments in the smugmug support thread... you know what I'm talkin' 'bout.
    ... come along.
  • ultravoxultravox Registered Users Posts: 776 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2006
    ... still free of charge :D.
    I love good music and good photosthumb.gif.
    Looking forward for more .
    Cristian.
    [SIZE=-1]It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice. - John Lennon.[/SIZE]
  • wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2006
    LeDude wrote:
    The night I took the shot I was at JoJo's with a lady friend. Because of this, I decided to show off a bit and said, "hey, Thad, you don't mind any pictures do you?" (I had already asked this on two previous occassions, but it is my policy to ask...mwink.gif) Standing at the bar and about to order a drink (coffee I think), he replied with a nod, 'yes.' A second later, now distracted from his drink ordering and thoroughly helping me impress my lady friend he shouted, "but I want 50% royalties." Of course, I obliged with the remark, "no problem, 50% of zero is all yours."

So guess where I was tonight? Early to JoJo's. And, sitting at the bar, handing my man a smoke-apparently breaking a quitting streak by the reaction of the fine looking lady at the end of bar-I said, "Thad, I think I owe you twenty bucks." He looked a bit befuddled, so I recounted our two to three weeks prior exchange quickly and said, I won a little competition and was awarded a $40 prize.

His reply? "Merry Christmas." Indeed. His performance was stellar as usual.

And now, your great story puts the shot into context and makes me even more glad I voted for your shot!

Great work! thumb.gif
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• vangoghvangogh Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2006
    Congratulations!! I'm so glad you toned the blue border down! :-)

Nicola
    Nicola
    Iconic Creative
    http://iconiccreative.smugmug.com

"To be creative means the ability to remain thirsty and to want more, never be content...you keep on seeing, discovering and understanding the joy of creativity"
    Raghu Rai
  • sayntbrigidsayntbrigid Registered Users Posts: 381 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2006
    Congratulations clap.gif
    another job well done at DGrin :Dthumb.gif
    True happiness is wanting what you have
    http://avatars.imvu.com/sayntbrigidii
  • twinbnjtwinbnj Registered Users Posts: 271 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2006
    Congrats - wonderful shot!
  • robinsphotosrobinsphotos Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited May 19, 2006
    Congratulations on this photo! I just loved it the minute I saw it~great job!clap.gif
  • Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2006
    congratulations - i love it!
    Tessa HD Campbell
    Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    www.printandportfolio.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341
  • TassieDTassieD Registered Users Posts: 711 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2006
    gubbs wrote:
    clap.gifclapclap.gifCongratulations To LeDude Winner of Challenge 64 clap.gifclapclap.gif

Thad Wilson on Trumpet

Mate!! Great work and congratulations.
    Cheers
    David Clifford
  • rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2006
    LeDude wrote:
    So, here are my myriad questions:
    1)Are my calcs correct?
    2)Should I utilize 'bicubic' or 'bicubic sharper' (or 'bicubic smoother') when I resample?
    3)Is there something else I can do to improve the print quality besides resampling (I've already unsharp-masked as far as is appropriate)?
    4)Would it be possible to have this look right in a 20"x16" print? Should I consider-and, if so, where would I find-a more appropriately proportioned frame size?
    1. Your DPI calculation should be okay.
    2. If you're printing through smugmug don't resample! The lab will do a much nicer job at doing that. Keep in mind that PS's bicubic is way outdated - there's a whole lot of algorithms - check out Qimage if you really want to upsample images on your PC.
    3. Be careful with sharpening! All the sharpened edges are going to be upsampled and could become more visible than they're on the monitor (perhaps you don't see anything wrong with it on the screen, but afterwards on the print). Don't know for sure, because I haven't done any big prints yet and most of the time I don't sharpen at all.
    4. Read smugmug's help page on print quality (examples of what's possible with DPI below 200)

Hope this helps,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2006
    Way-to-go LeDude! Nice entry and well-deserved.thumb.gif

Cheers,

Erich
  • BlackSpotBlackSpot Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited May 23, 2006
    A great challenge and a true value winner.
    My respects.
  • MarkSBMarkSB Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited May 24, 2006
    Good shot, and congratulations!:):
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2006
    Congrats 'Dude! clap.gif
    edited May 26, 2006
    Thanks all... and what the heck, I'm gonna bask in this a bit cause its all rollin together mighty quick right now... since winning this, my first, photo challenge I've gotten my first paying gig, my first sale on smugmug...tonight my dj friend is playing a gig (for those in DC it's at Baci Vini in Adams Morgan), the first LeDude Projects booked show... sheesh, two weeks! I only hope I can keep it rolling, keep building.

yours truly,
    Rich
    ... come along.
  • deeyadeeya Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2006
    LeDude wrote:
    Thanks all... and what the heck, I'm gonna bask in this a bit cause its all rollin together mighty quick right now... since winning this, my first, photo challenge I've gotten my first paying gig, my first sale on smugmug...tonight my dj friend is playing a gig (for those in DC it's at Baci Vini in Adams Morgan), the first LeDude Projects booked show... sheesh, two weeks! I only hope I can keep it rolling, keep building.

yours truly,
    Rich

Way to go Rich! You've got so much talent... nice to see it's paying off!

Denise
    Denise

http://deeya.smugmug.com
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2006