Change Custom URL while maintaining old links?

rdlugoszrdlugosz Registered Users Posts: 277 Major grins
edited May 20, 2006 in SmugMug Support
OK - so here's what I've been trying to do today with no luck so far. Here's what I've got:

SM: rdlugosz.smugmug.com
current cust DNS: photos.dlugosz.net
new cust DNS: gallery.rrdphoto.com

What I'm trying to do is to migrate from the old URL to the new URL, yet not break links that I've sent to others with the old URL. Make sense?

What I tried:
set the old DNS CNAME to the new DNS name. Set new DNS CNAME to rdlugosz.smugmug.com & set the custom DNS setting in SM to the new URL. I was hoping that this would "pass through", but it didn't quite work. The site works from the new URL, but shows a generic smugmug page (macgaskill's photos) when I use the old URL.

I've set the TTL on the CNAMEs to 300 & I can break them & see the results in 5 minutes, so I'm fairly certain that it's not a DNS propogation issue.

If there's no way to do this with the DNS / SM settings, I suppose the next best thing is a forwarding script running at the old URL. This script has to be smarter than typical URL Forwarding, however... it will have to maintain the request part of the URL and forward that along to the new URL (otherwise the links I have out there will all break).

Anyone got any ideas? Worst case scneario, I may just leave it alone (e.g., keep the SM gallery at the old URL). The real plan is to turn the new domain into a main page - a basic portfolio & links to shoots. The shoots, etc. would be on SM linked from the main site -- this is why I'd like to get the new URL working if possible; to maintain some consistency.

Too bad I can't just tell SM about both domain names... :)

Comments