"Hott" Self Portrait

binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
edited May 19, 2006 in People
my self portrait is "hott" because hott is my last name.
i know there's a new thread for showing your "ugly" mug, but i would like some real critique, so i made my own thread.

i took this because i needed a picture with my unusually long and curly hair and also needed a new facebook picture. i took it late last night in a parking lot, using just the orange street light as lighting.

please tell me what you think:
70332102-L.jpg

20d, tamron 28-75mm f2.8 @ f3.5, 1/40 iso 3200.

Comments

• gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2006
    Great light ! Treasure that hair mate. I had hair that thick once :cry
  • LeDudeLeDude Registered Users Posts: 501 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2006
    the high ISO shows, but it works
    congrats on the hair, I guess... lol
    We are the music-makers; and we are the dreamers of dreams.
    ... come along.
  • elfving73elfving73 Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2006
    Cool! I like the "roughness" from the high contrast and noise. Perhaps though, I would have prefered a liiittle more details in the shadow areas.

When I look at portraits of strangers, I begin to imagine what the person is like (although oftenly far from the truth I guess!) When I look at this pic, I see a very kind dude with a lot of humor. Although I can't pinpoint why, I think you look somewhat like a Brittish Popstar. :):

Love the curls. Made me think of Graham Chapmans character "Biggus Dickus" in "Life of Brian". :D (Oh boy, that's an hilarious film by the way! Just thinking of it makes me giggle. Absolutely genious!)

Anyway, you look good in it! thumb.gif

Matty
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited May 19, 2006
  • dancinkatedancinkate Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2006
    I agree with everyone else, wonderful shot and the noise works well. Although, the hair was the second thing I focused on because you have great eyes. thumb.gif
  • marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2006
    Nice. I'm just not sure if you gave the eyes a different treatment than the rest of the picture. Somehow they look different than the other parts of the image (fresher, sharper), and the nice subtle contrast and grain in the other parts clashes a bit with that. But perhaps that's just me, who doesn't like smooth skin and sharp eyes portraits.
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • GiselleGiselle Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2006
    I like that the everything is kind of gritty but the eyes, I think it makes you notice them more. But then again I would be draw to the eyes anyway, you have beautiful eyes and like Matty I like to make up my own story about people. So here is my story - maybe a European struggling poet all your missing is the whiskey and smokes, but it looks like you haven't had your heart broken (eyes too kind) and that is why your still struggling because you create somehting amazing without that experience.
    I'm sure you were looking for a better c/c but I love people watching and making up stuff - yes, I know I'm an odd girl!
    Giselle
  • SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2006
    You need a shave ...
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2006
    wow! thank you all for the comments, i really appreciate it!
    in case you couldn't tell, i didn't use any noise reduction and i think it works, and you guys seem to agree. i did slightly lighten and boost the contrast in the eyes, possibly too much.

thanks giselle - i like your story, but i'm not european, a poet, a drinker, nor a smoker. however, i agree with you about my eyes, as i haven't had my heart broken, merely dented, so you may be right about the struggling. i don't smoke and i'm against smoking, however i will consider doing a picture with a cig in my mouth for the more rugged, "cool" look.

and seefutlung, you're right and i'm going to shave right now, but i liked the scruffy look in that shot.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited May 19, 2006
    Kinda looks like a young, curly, fuzzy, George Clooney. Kinda. Maybe. A little.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2006
    Nice self portrait
    lines in back are not looking fine just my opinion
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery