Options

Bee-lieve me!

ForeheadForehead Registered Users Posts: 679 Major grins
edited May 21, 2006 in Wildlife
Walking outside on the afternoon of April 11 from my house in Fontana, I was right in a swarm of bees.

RIGHT IN, mind you!

Apparently, they were the European honeybees as, when they settled on a tree across the street, I went over and took some shots--this one from two feet away and they didn't seem to mind, mostly (don't EVEN try that with those Africanized bees).

Livin' on the EDGE :crazy
Steve-o

Comments

• Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2006
    :yikes
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited May 19, 2006
    That's cool. Definitely something you don't see every day. thumb.gif
  • Options
    raianraian Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2006
    Being allergic to bee stings, I would have probably died from the fright of being in the swarm! And yet you maintained your composure to fire off a shot. Hmm, you are either a nut, or a true photographer :):
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2006
    Well, as I said in my 'Tiger Beetle' thread, I'm not an entomologist. But I PLAY one!

In reality, as the spread of Africanized honey bees, aka "Killer bees" progresses further north, I think that tracking and identifying swarms becomes more of an urgent affair. However, the local vector control officials weren't all that eager to address the issue :yikes

And as for that swarm that settled across my house, they departed the next day, flew a quarter mile north-northwest, and settled on the grounds of the elementary school that my two oldest kids attend :uhoh
    raian wrote:
    Being allergic to bee stings, I would have probably died from the fright of being in the swarm! And yet you maintained your composure to fire off a shot. Hmm, you are either a nut, or a true photographer :):
    Steve-o
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2006
    Ayy, Harry! How's the fishin' down there?
    Harryb wrote:
    :yikes
    Steve-o