How do I make minor position changes in a gallery?

GaryBakkerGaryBakker Registered Users Posts: 266 Major grins
edited May 19, 2006 in SmugMug Support
It is important that my photo galleries are in a logical sequence. Mainly due to the fact that most of them are vacation albums that need to be in a specific order so that a story can be told.

The photos come from two different cameras. Before uploading I combined them into a single folder. Edited using Picasa. Exported the modified photos. Then used SendToSmugmug, using the option to order them by Date-Time.

Apparently they were uploaded in Name sequence. I'm not sure how that happened, but now I have a problem because the photos are not in logical sequence. Re-arranging the order of over 500 photos is not a trivial task when half of them need to be moved nearly to the front.

I can get them close to the correct sequence if I sort the gallery by Date Taken. But if i do that I no longer can do minor position changes because the sort option must be set to Position. If I sort by Date Taken, then switch to sorting by Position, the photos revert back to being all from one camera and then all from the other camera.

Let me explain my need in a little more detail. On this recent trip, I went from Bangkok, to Vietnam, to Cambodia, and then back to Bangkok Thailand. There are some photos I took the second time in Bangkok that I knew I really wanted to appear in the first part of the slide show. (OK, so I was cheating a bit. I'd prefer to call it artistic license. :): )

As a consequence, I want to be able to make a few minor position changes after sorting by Date Taken. Is there any way to do this? Or do I have to delete the gallery and re-upload?

Regards,
Gary
SmugMug site => The Bakker Chautauqua
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." (Einstein)

Comments

• SheafSheaf Registered Users, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 775 SmugMug Employee
    edited May 19, 2006
    Gary,

What you want to do is first make sure that the gallery is sorted by position in the customize gallery settings. Then select "Sort Gallery" under the photo tools. Finally, use any of the arranging tools to finish it off.
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • GaryBakkerGaryBakker Registered Users Posts: 266 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2006
    Thank you Sheaf. That worked.

I never would've thought to look for gallery-wide options under the Photo Tools menu. I would've thought they'd appear under the Gallery Tools menu.

This seems like a good place to put a shrug. ne_nau.gif

Anyway, it's fixed now for me to do my fine tuning.

Thanks again for your quick response. I appreciate it.
    SmugMug site => The Bakker Chautauqua
    "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." (Einstein)